Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Coral & Livestock Trading
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/29/2005, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

count me in please
Old 01/29/2005, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

me too!!
Old 01/30/2005, 05:19 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

I'll probalby post the modified version with Scribe's and nine9d's input later tonight. Gotta finish painting a room and moving my tank around today.
Old 01/30/2005, 06:36 PM
Got Pictures?

does anyone have a link that shows what type of thermos are usually used?
I've seen everything from kid thermos to gallon thermos, styrofoam thermos and glass lined thermos. I'd hate to spend a bunch of money on the wrong type
Now Open Water Scuba Certified :)
Old 01/30/2005, 09:08 PM
Premium Member

Put me on the list
Randy
Old 01/30/2005, 10:59 PM
Teem Zissou

cool beans! if it wasn't obvious from my last post, please count me in!
Old 01/30/2005, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

me too.
Old 01/31/2005, 02:42 PM
Limestone cowboy

Im in, Put me down.
Old 01/31/2005, 02:52 PM
Legal Reefer

Sounds good. I'm in.
Old 01/31/2005, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

Campbells Soup Thermos

Quote:
Originally posted by alexchern75
does anyone have a link that shows what type of thermos are usually used?
I've seen everything from kid thermos to gallon thermos, styrofoam thermos and glass lined thermos. I'd hate to spend a bunch of money on the wrong type
You can usually get these Campbells Soup Thermos's at Wally World (Wal-Mart) for a couple of bucks. I have 5 waiting for trades now.
http://www.epinions.com/Aaronson_Cam...~latest_prices

Also, if you are interested, http://kensfish.com/ sells heat packs and bags. HTH

hvreef.org webmaster
Old 01/31/2005, 08:23 PM
Got Pictures?

awesome! thanks!!!
Now Open Water Scuba Certified :)
Old 01/31/2005, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

If you do this, is there a way to keep from getting colors you don't want? I have a lot of neon orange and don't want more. How do you keep from trading PPE(yeah, right) for brown? Also, won't a heat pack cook whatever is in a thermos? I thought a thermos would hold the temperature for overnight shipping. Sounds good though.
Matt
Old 01/31/2005, 08:53 PM
Reef Nut

hey sarduci...where u located by chance....i see u in central wisconsin....schofield/wausau area here....maybe a local frag trade sometime when my zoos have spread enuff to frag?
Old 02/01/2005, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

I'm interested too.

-dk
Old 02/01/2005, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by obed2010
If you do this, is there a way to keep from getting colors you don't want? I have a lot of neon orange and don't want more. How do you keep from trading PPE(yeah, right) for brown? Also, won't a heat pack cook whatever is in a thermos? I thought a thermos would hold the temperature for overnight shipping. Sounds good though.
Matt
I think that the idea of the swap is to be pleasantly suprised in what you get. I would say you could probably ask the trading part not to include a certain color. But if that is all they have to offer than it really wouldn't matter much. I think if people stay away from sending browns, everyone should be happy.

You wouldn't place the heat pack directly on the thermos. First, you would put in some insulation, put in the thermos, put in more insulation, put the heat pack on top (if necessary) or even tape it to the inside top of the styro cooler if that is what you are using. Many people shipped by priority which is 2 days unless you are further out which makes it 3 days in some cases (thus I would probably use a heat pack). I think shipping is still being decided.

Also, I think that it should be preffered to send established frags over freshly cut frags. I've traded plenty of times with people, and sometimes freshly cut frags will not make the trip that well.

sarduci, if you need help please don't hesitate to ask. I am located in N.Y. so I could be your eastern setup guy. LOL!

hvreef.org webmaster
Old 02/01/2005, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

I'm in! Great Idea!
Old 02/01/2005, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Count me in. I'll be moving my tank this month but if we are waiting for a little warmer weather than everything should be good.
Steve
Old 02/01/2005, 10:19 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Quote:
Originally posted by ronkent
hey sarduci...where u located by chance....i see u in central wisconsin....schofield/wausau area here....maybe a local frag trade sometime when my zoos have spread enuff to frag?
I'm actually in Rib Mountain. We'll have to get together when we have some stuff to trade.
Old 02/01/2005, 10:29 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Quote:
Originally posted by nine9d
I think that the idea of the swap is to be pleasantly suprised in what you get. I would say you could probably ask the trading part not to include a certain color. But if that is all they have to offer than it really wouldn't matter much. I think if people stay away from sending browns, everyone should be happy.

You wouldn't place the heat pack directly on the thermos. First, you would put in some insulation, put in the thermos, put in more insulation, put the heat pack on top (if necessary) or even tape it to the inside top of the styro cooler if that is what you are using. Many people shipped by priority which is 2 days unless you are further out which makes it 3 days in some cases (thus I would probably use a heat pack). I think shipping is still being decided.

Also, I think that it should be preffered to send established frags over freshly cut frags. I've traded plenty of times with people, and sometimes freshly cut frags will not make the trip that well.

sarduci, if you need help please don't hesitate to ask. I am located in N.Y. so I could be your eastern setup guy. LOL!
Thanks for all the good info. I"m going to work on the new version right now with the updated info right now.

Personally, I'm doing this on the honor system. If you have something you really like, trade a frag of that if you can. If you really don't have anything, or have something you think is really common, ask before hand. I really think that the spirt of a swap should be to make everyone's tank better. I improve my tank, you improve your tank. Everyone wins. If you really don't want a specific type, like you have eagle eyes, and they end up sending them, lots of people would like something like that. If anything you'll have a really nice frag to trade one on one with somebody.
Old 02/01/2005, 10:38 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Quote:
Originally posted by obed2010
Matt
If people trade browns, they'll be blacklisted from any further trades. If they trade someting like Green Bay Packers, that are a dull brown/green but under 20k's are bright yellow and neon green, that's a different story. It's all about being good to each other, and if you're good to people, people are going to want to trade things with you. If you screw people over, you won't get squat.

The heat pack is use just to keep the air in the box somewhat good for a few hours. It'll burn through all of the oxygen in a sealed box after awhile, and then stop untill more oxygen is introduced when the box is opened. They should be fine for the short trip.
Old 02/01/2005, 11:04 PM
Reef Nut

just read ur post about the trading of browns and u mentioned some Green bay packers,......I NEED THOSE!!!! (will help keep other half liking tank if ya know what i mean)
Old 02/01/2005, 11:17 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Thumbs up Version 1.1

Updated the shipping section. I'm going to stop at FedEx tomorrow and see about prices when I have lunch. I'm going to ask for price on 1.5lbs in a small FedEx shipping box shipped from NYC to San Diego second day.

If anybody has experience with shipping prices and weights, please let me know. I'm just doing a good guess for right now.

I added a section on what the expectations are, and what qualifies as being blacklisted. As this is run by me, I don't have to play nice with people who won't play nice with others.

Mass Thermos Swap

I'm thinking about coordinating a mass thermos trade for zoanthids. I figure I might as well put my project management skills to work and help out some people. The goal is to actually do the trade in about 2 months once the weather warms up all over the country and there shouldn't be any major mailing/shipping issues with snow anymore.

Proposed rules of the game:

Goal of the project:
To have every one person trade two frags of a zoanthid with two other people.

Format of the pairings:
The pairings with be done at random. The first person drawn will be paired with the second. The second person is paired back to the first, and the third name is drawn. The second person is now paired to the first and third, and the third back to the second and to the yet to be drawn fourth name. That will continue until the last name is drawn, which will be paired back to the first name. The drawing process is open to another person supervising if they can make it when it fits into my schedule. (central Wisconsin area)

Container:
Trades are done by Thermos. You can usually get these Campbells Soup Thermos's at Wal-Mart for a couple of bucks. http://kensfish.com/shippingsupplie.html for shipping bags and heat packs.

Also, if you are interested, http://kensfish.com/ sells heat packs and bags. They are sent by carrier of your choice. If you want then next day, 2 day, weekend or some other special arrangement, then you will need to work out with your trade partner.

Please mark your water parameters on the outside with tape. Also, please mark the type of lighting you have (i.e. PC's, MH, NO) and how much light they normally receive. (i.e. high in the tank, 14 hours a day)

If you'd like your thermos sent back to you, you will need to arrange for that to be done before hand or agree to keep each other's before they are mailed out. Please don't send the one out of your kid's lunch box, I don't want to hear about the pain of not being able to drink out of their G.I. Joe thermos if something happens to it.

Frag:
The frag itself should be no less than 5 polyps, preferably 10 polyps. It can either be loose or mounted. Please send a nice frag that you would be happy getting. If you send something that looks absolutely killer under a specific type of light, please double check with that person as they might not have it. If not, if we can work out some other kind of trade via third party negotiator if need be. (myself as first choice or someone else that can be agreed upon by both parties)

Prepping the frag to be sent:
Open the thermos and place the bag inside. The bag should be filled half way with water. Place in frag. Fill to 3/4 full of water. Seal off the top of the bag. Secure the cap and cover. Please use both, in case the cap leaks not all of the water will escape.

Once the thermos has been taken care of, place the thermos in a shipping box. Stuff the box with newspaper or foam packing material. Please send it as soon as possible. After it has been sent out, confirm with that person how, when and where they should expect it. Exchange any tracking information that may be of use to the person.

Complaints/issues:
If any issues arise with people not sending frags, they will be banned from further participation. I encourage you to send via a carrier with tracking abilities. If you are not happy with what you got, you can post a picture of it to the trade section of the forum and see if anyone would like it. Just because you don't want it may not mean that nobody wants it. Sometimes what you think is common or ugly someone else may think is the best thing in the world.

Blacklisted people:
People will be placed on a blacklist and will no longer qualify for trades if they do not trade in the specified time window, or trade "brown" zoanthids. "Brown" is defined by frags that do not have any real colors to them other than brown, nor show off colors under a particular type of lighting. The type known as Green Bay Packers is a good example of this. Under specific lighting, they turn from being completely brown to bright green and yellow. Receiving a frag like this and not having the specific lighting to have this effect on them will not constitute blacklisting of the other person. Frags like that are often highly prized by people who do have the lighting and are often considering great trading pieces.

If someone is going to swap frags that are only colorful under a particular type of lighting, they must share this information ahead of time with the person. If the person is not interested in it, please try to swap something else. If there is nothing else for you to trade, then it is your responsibility to come to an agreement. If one can not be reached, then mediation should be used. Unreasonable parties can also be blacklisted.

Other:
At this time this is ONLY for zoanthids. At some later date and time, if I feel so inclined, I may branch it out to other special interest groups. If this format of trade is of interest to someone, I will offer advice on a limited basis when I have free time to help out with other ones. I can be contacted at thermos_swap@troyradtke.com for any interested parties. I would like to make it clear though that I will NOT run one for someone else, nor take over any that have started.
Old 02/01/2005, 11:20 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Version 1.1.1

Mass Thermos Swap

I'm thinking about coordinating a mass thermos trade for zoanthids. I figure I might as well put my project management skills to work and help out some people. The goal is to actually do the trade in about 2 months once the weather warms up all over the country and there shouldn't be any major mailing/shipping issues with snow anymore.

Proposed rules of the game:

Goal of the project:
To have every one person trade two frags of a zoanthid with two other people.

Format of the pairings:
The pairings with be done at random. The first person drawn will be paired with the second. The second person is paired back to the first, and the third name is drawn. The second person is now paired to the first and third, and the third back to the second and to the yet to be drawn fourth name. That will continue until the last name is drawn, which will be paired back to the first name. The drawing process is open to another person supervising if they can make it when it fits into my schedule. (central Wisconsin area)

Container:
Trades are done by Thermos. You can usually get these Campbells Soup Thermos's at Wal-Mart for a couple of bucks. http://kensfish.com/shippingsupplie.html for shipping bags and heat packs.

Also, if you are interested, http://kensfish.com/ sells heat packs and bags. They are sent by carrier of your choice. If you want then next day, 2 day, weekend or some other special arrangement, then you will need to work out with your trade partner.

Please mark your water parameters on the outside with tape. Also, please mark the type of lighting you have (i.e. PC's, MH, NO) and how much light they normally receive. (i.e. high in the tank, 14 hours a day)

If you'd like your thermos sent back to you, you will need to arrange for that to be done before hand or agree to keep each other's before they are mailed out. Please don't send the one out of your kid's lunch box, I don't want to hear about the pain of not being able to drink out of their G.I. Joe thermos if something happens to it.

Frag:
The frag itself should be no less than 5 polyps, preferably 10 polyps. It can either be loose or mounted. Please send a nice frag that you would be happy getting. If you send something that looks absolutely killer under a specific type of light, please double check with that person as they might not have it. If not, if we can work out some other kind of trade via third party negotiator if need be. (myself as first choice or someone else that can be agreed upon by both parties)

Prepping the frag to be sent:
Open the thermos and place the bag inside. The bag should be filled half way with water. Place in frag. Fill to 3/4 full of water. Seal off the top of the bag. Secure the cap and cover. Please use both, in case the cap leaks not all of the water will escape.

Once the thermos has been taken care of, place the thermos in a shipping box. Stuff the box with newspaper or foam packing material. Please send it as soon as possible. After it has been sent out, confirm with that person how, when and where they should expect it. Exchange any tracking information that may be of use to the person.

Complaints/issues:
If any issues arise with people not sending frags, they will be banned from further participation. I encourage you to send via a carrier with tracking abilities. If you are not happy with what you got, you can post a picture of it to the trade section of the forum and see if anyone would like it. Just because you don't want it may not mean that nobody wants it. Sometimes what you think is common or ugly someone else may think is the best thing in the world.

Blacklisted people:
People will be placed on a blacklist and will no longer qualify for trades if they do not trade in the specified time window, or trade "brown" zoanthids. "Brown" is defined by frags that do not have any real colors to them other than brown, nor show off colors under a particular type of lighting. The type known as Green Bay Packers is a good example of this. Under specific lighting, they turn from being completely brown to bright green and yellow. Receiving a frag like this and not having the specific lighting to have this effect on them will not constitute blacklisting of the other person. Frags like that are often highly prized by people who do have the lighting and are often considering great trading pieces.

If someone is going to swap frags that are only colorful under a particular type of lighting, they must share this information ahead of time with the person. If the person is not interested in it, please try to swap something else. If there is nothing else for you to trade, then it is your responceability to come to an agreement. If one can not be reached, then mediation should be used. Unreasonable parties can also be blacklisted.

Other:
At this time this is ONLY for zoanthids. At some later date and time, if I feel so inclined, I may branch it out to other special interest groups. If this format of trade is of interest to someone, I will offer advice on a limited basis when I have free time to help out with other ones. I can be contacted at thermos_swap@troyradtke.com for any interested parties. I would like to make it clear though that I will NOT run one for someone else, nor take over any that have started.

Thanks to:
Scribe and Nine9d for their input.
Old 02/01/2005, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Please count me in. Thanks!

Kean Huat
Old 02/02/2005, 01:54 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

The second paragraph in the container section needs work. Was tired last night......