Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/29/2006, 10:26 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

DD - no water flows thru the unit in this application. The WS can be used a bunch of different ways, in this app - its just a turning device (that can handle almost 4,000GPH). The controller makes it easy to manipulate speed & turning pattern.

Can we please not take this down the "DIY vs non-DIY" path again? I guess some of us make enough money, or choose to buy quality engineered products. I could also make a shirt with fifty cents worth of material, but I don't.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 06/29/2006, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

Does the Tunze mounting hardware cover the outlet? I see in the pics that the barbed inlet fitting is still installed on the WS.
Old 06/29/2006, 10:48 AM
River Rat

Sweet!!!!
Old 06/29/2006, 10:55 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Holy crap DD I see what you are saying. You can use it to oscillate your Tunze, and put your return line on there. Duh. I just have my top (where you see the barb) capped off. One thing I love about the SS is that it comes with a bunch of different options, barbs, fittings, etc.

Which is why I was surprised to see the Tunze attachment didn't even come with a coupler, lol.

I might just put the barb on. I could also submerge an Eheim and run silicone up to the barb. I suppose you could even put a 45 on that "T" to get some flow down lower. Hmmm ....

Old 06/29/2006, 12:03 PM
Calvinist

one word of warning, as this idea was discussed several years ago with the SS- on another reef board [ and involved contact with the makers of tunze or maxijet [can't remember]] in fact, i think people were trying to also pivit tunze on the mounting bracket....

The constant pulling and moving on the power cords to any powerhead will slowly break down the threading, cause it to break- and potentially be a fire hazzard, if they were to short out. That coupled with the UV wear on the plastics that come form the light most of us have over our fish tank [look at the plastic center brace of a tank with halides sometime] It is poterntially a dangerous scene.

Has anyone talked about this recently?

really neat idea..
Old 06/29/2006, 12:23 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

matt wavysea has been engineered to handle the flow. there are several threads on it & wavysea.com has more info. long term who knows but the construction of the ws & ss are worlds apart. the orig ws maxed at 2300gph, the ws+ maxes somewhere around 3500gph. sorry for no caps, on my phone. :-)

Old 06/29/2006, 12:27 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

doh. just reread your reply sorry bout that. I will watch the cord closely. the positioning of mine is not under the lites so ok there. thx for the heads up!

Old 06/30/2006, 11:35 AM
Calvinist

As one who spends much time in the live sound venu- I know how quickly cords break down from wear- especially if they are not handled correctly... now, I don't think tunze has high powers of electricity on the pump side of the transformer- that will take down a house, but definitely it could kill the pump or the tank in a worst case scenario- On the other side, Cheap AC powerheads that have full current going underwater.... are a real danger to do with this mod...

[by the way for a chuckle- that i think fliger saw once, the first mod of this type was someone who took a cooling fan over their tank that oscillated, and tied a maxijet to it. the ways we have come from that ghettoness is amazing.. tee hee.. ]

if we could get a long term cord solution- i would likely jump in on this idea

Last edited by matt the fiddler; 06/30/2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07/01/2006, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Hello,

I have done this aswell on a couple in my tank, i couldnt be more happy with the result.

I did a fairly cheap and easy mod, using a 1" coupler, and a 1 "cap for each, nothing is glued.

I tapped the center of the cap and cut the tunze bracket down a bit.

I was also concerned with the cord breaking or cracking.
If you strap the cord to the rotating arm closest to the tunze it will shift the movement to a longer portion of the cable, instead of bending it back and forth on the motor.

You can also drill a second "cord" hole in the coupler or cap,and just run the cord up through the wavy sea, make the hole fairly tight and it will help to tansfer the movement up the cord aswell.
It also makes for a clean look.
This is best drilled at where the coupler and cap meet, so the harness clip from the blue box will still go through.

I made a fairly close mount to the wavy sea, so there was not too much pushing on the arm, and mounted on the center (balance ?) point of the pump so the pivot wasnt huge.

One thing i would love to do to it now, is tap the cap one more time, but on the type of cap that has a domed top.
That way the tunze can be mounted at an up or down angle.

Overall, I give the combination two thumbs up !

Marc.
Old 07/03/2006, 11:08 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

That is sweet Fudge. I waited because I have a Stream break free from my holder a couple years ago and didn't want to take any chances.

I have to say this is incredible. My tank is kinda cubish, 48x32 and I now have 3,000GPH in a wide flow slowly sweeping across my tank. I have no dead spots with one Stream. I had some stringy algae that started to get bad - all gone in 3 days or so. My PE has also improved. I think the SPS like the more random flow, kinda like a Wavebox. If I didn't have this setup - I would have gotten the Wavebox. I'll get a video next week.

Old 07/04/2006, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

thats way cool
Old 07/08/2006, 11:30 PM
Proud reefaholic

A friend of mine did a waving device for about 30 bucks with a 1rpm motor, he made it for his tunzes.
That thing works like a charm but I´m not going to try it as my 6200 would blow all the corals and sand away, but for people using smaller tunzes, I would buy a 1 rpm motor and do that thing myself rather than spending 250 bucks in a device designed to do another job.
JMHO
Marco
Old 07/08/2006, 11:36 PM
Proud reefaholic

Lets see if this works

Old 07/08/2006, 11:37 PM
Proud reefaholic

Old 07/08/2006, 11:38 PM
Proud reefaholic

Ok, so is it.
Nice huh?
Old 07/08/2006, 11:45 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

That looks really sweet. I'm not a DIY type so I'll just have to pay someone. I also have a trimless/canopyless system and if I put that on my tank my wife would kill me. ;-) I also very much like the controller allowing me to play with sweep range and speed, not to mention the seemless mounting options. But if I had a canopy I'd have to seriously considering a DIY job.

Here's a pic of the WS with the controller

When using the Tunze, the top barb comes off and it comes with a "top" that screws in, and the top of the WS stays flush with the top of the tank so you can't see it.

Old 02/21/2007, 07:03 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

never mind

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 02/22/2007, 02:49 AM
Registered Member

The Wavysea mounting bracket do not fit most tank with black trim or 1.25" thick. $30 more for bigger bracket Crazy!