Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers

Old 12/24/2007, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

My latest lucky find

I've always been fascinated by the Blue Ridge coral, Heliopora coerulea...a softy masquerading as a stony!

Have been looking for one online for months, and have only found frags.

So imagine my delight, a quick stop at my LFS on Friday, spotted this beauty...and saying "Excuse me, I want that NOW before anyone else gets it" to the shopdroid.

I probably didn't need to rush...the clerk likes them too, but agreed that they are "under-appreciated."

As we speak, it's skinning...I'm hoping it will extend its polyps today...but had one in the past that never did, but was fine & continued to grow.

Ignore that junk around it...it's in my QT tank, will go into my 75G soon.

Cheers,
-R
Old 12/26/2007, 01:01 PM
Hydrophilic

Re: My latest lucky find

Quote:
Originally posted by lancer99

As we speak, it's skinning...I'm hoping it will extend its polyps today...but had one in the past that never did, but was fine & continued to grow.
I love Heliopora- Ive got a piece I picked up 3ish years ago, and it has grown really well for me. Youre right- nobody seems to appreciate it. I took large frags to a local swap a couple years back and noone was interested. Which was fine by me- I put them back in the tank and now have nice satellite colonies.

On the polyps opening up- these corals are extremists in the soft coral world- they prefer very intense light and water flow. Ive got mine sitting at the very top of the tank (high enough that they now touch/break the surface with their new growth), about 8" below 250wt halides, right next to my overflow box with an additional powerhead pointed directly at them. If you can get those conditions, youre much more likely to get a nice fuzzy colony. Hope that helps...

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 12/26/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

That *does* help. Its tips are about 8" below the water surface in my 40G, with a 250 MH. The MH is about a foot off the water right now, being moved down each day, since I'm acclimating a few corals.

It's probably not getting enough flow, so I will fix that.

Once I move it into my 75G in about a month, I'll find the perfect spot

Thx again for the advice, it's appreciated.

-R
Old 12/26/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Could you guys post some pics when its polys open up?
Old 12/26/2007, 11:11 PM
Hydrophilic

Quote:
Originally posted by jeweldamsel
Could you guys post some pics when its polys open up?
Im away from home for the week doing Christmasy type stuff, but will try to get a decent shot of it when I get back home...

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 12/26/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Thx.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

hormig, maybe you can sell those frags to liveaquaria. They're selling 1-1/2" frags (with a rather fanciful picture) for $29.99.

I increased the flow. Still no polyps tonight, but it's looking "pimply," which IME means they're about to extend...I have my fingers crossed!

-R
Old 12/29/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

Tonight it extended its polyps.....but only about 1/2 way.

Strangely enough, that was on the side that didn't get much flow.

Unfortunately the lights went off about 1/2 hour later, and it closed up quickly.

-R
Old 12/29/2007, 01:28 AM
Registered Member

It probably needs more time to acclimate to its new home.