Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/19/2007, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

da6d2003, Wow, very nice. I especially like the second and third morphs. Very hot .

jerry c, no doubt on that BlackJack...here it is happy and plump in my tank. I think it still has some coloring up to do and I am keeping it on the bototm just to be safe. I love the mouth colors, a yellow/orange/red/green combo. Nice contrast withthe outer edges.

Old 02/19/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

My Micro frags' A lot of them or from Doc

You can find me with the little red house
Old 02/19/2007, 03:19 PM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
Yes the BlackJack has moved into my Ultimate favs category
Great pics Guys
Salt N .... Yes that is Purple Haze I think and the second appears to be a micro by shape but its hard to be sure from so little

Jerry ... WOW your collection is intimidating! You are moving right along, Very Very nice Man

Alicia... The colors in your tank are sooo so different? I know the actinics make a difference tell me about the "Zeo" is that because you do alot of SPS? does the "Zeo" help things alot?
Old 02/19/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

My black jack looks way different then that... I think the zeo is lightning them up a bit. It is also up there on my favorites list with my jawbreaker. I am trying to convince my brother to come over and get some good pictures, since he is the camera master.

Keep the pics coming they are looking great.
Old 02/19/2007, 03:42 PM
RC Sponsor

AAhhh the Jawbreaker! that is an AWESOME morph so many different ways it can look!
Old 02/19/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Yes it is going insane. I have about 4 differnt polyp morphs... But my favorite has turned tealish pink with the green mouth
Old 02/19/2007, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

hey guys, is there something wrong with my pics ? not one comment ? c'mon, it took me time to take those pictures just to share with you, that's very dissapointing
Old 02/19/2007, 05:42 PM
Is it Charles or Jen? =)

Quote:
Originally posted by toddman74
hey, I have a question.... is it possible for micro polyps to separate from skeleton if salinity is too high? I have one single polyp frag that got flesh errosion and my salinity has been up around 1.028.. due to evaporation and no topoff....
I checked everything and cal = 420, dkh=9, mg=1340.
Hello,

That could definitely cause some polyp bail-out...bummer!
Old 02/19/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Calero your pics are nice and so are your micros. I especially like the red with "snow" on it. That is awesome. Nothing personal. I have posted questions etc and have not received any replys. Sometimes I think that people look / read and answer to themselves!
Old 02/19/2007, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

Doc, I know...very different. The teal of the BalckJack is greener on mine and the purple is lighter. I really think the VHO's help to bring out some of those colors...I only run 2x250w 14K phoenix bulbs. At least it is not lightening up or bleaching . The zeo is aweosme, especially for my sps, crystal clear water, and no bothersome macro algaes in the tank since day one (the main reason I chose to give it a try). I do believe there is definate bleaching going on in some of my other morphs but I am holding "true" colors in my Laffy Taffy, Orange Mist, and Strawberry Fields (this one is darker than yours by a bit so far) and all of my Acans look good...like they should . I think my camera is not picking up the teal blues at all in my pics but overall I am getting some color changes in my tank on about half of the Micros in my collection. Interesting to see and watch. I chronical coral growth and take pics over time so we shall see how it goes with these little guys.

crazy...is your BlackJack more of the light and dark purple ring to a teal ring in the outer ring?? that is my guess, more true to Doc's picture a few pages back. The zeo could be lightening them but I think it is more bleaching overall with the crystal clear water...the BlackJack is on the bottom so I am not seeing the bleaching at all but the teal and purple are more green and light something...not sure what. No actinic supplementation in my tank at all...things are going to look different, some colors are just not going to pop out as well, others will be muted. I still like the BlackJack a ton and I know as it grows it could change. I plan on getting MH/T5's in the next few months...we shall see what changes new lights bring .

calero, very nice collection and I meant no disrespect to your awesome Micros , just missed it by accident. I love seeing your pictures so don't stop

Last edited by slojmn; 02/19/2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02/19/2007, 06:43 PM
RC Sponsor

Calero, I have loved seeing your posts and pics for quite some time in this thread... Absolutely sweet I liked the first one the best... I often go away for a few days to work... 24s and 40s and I do read posts while there but I reply much less I am sure that was during my shifts....

Let me see if I can find some other Black Jack pics for comparison?

Here are some more shots under different moods, time of day, lighting ect.

Old 02/19/2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Loved your pics!

Calero, I loved your pics, I just sometimes drool & don't comment...+ I feel kinda bad never contributing any eye candy because I have got 2 be RC's 'WORST photographer'
So I have to ask: Do you know the names of the morphs for the 3rd pic from the top, & the 3rd pic from the bottom? I know you were showing off your micros, but your firefish is dreamy too!
Old 02/19/2007, 06:58 PM
RC Sponsor

Sometimes I feel like I comment too much... like the dude in a conversation that just wont shut up and let the others talk
Old 02/19/2007, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

Chris, You definately do not comment to much...I'm often long winded in my ramblings but it is what it is. I find you quite to the point and enjoy your comments. Everyone elses comments as well.

Your pictures of the BlackJack are very interesting and quite awesome. The last one looks the closest to mine when I compared it to the polyps in my tank with my naked eye looking through the mesoscope. I do find the teal color much more than the camera picked up...but that outer purple is very light and the reddish is dominant in most all the polyps I have...I notice in your last picture that some of the polyps at the left edge of the picture seem to have a lot more red in them than others...the others are more dominantly purple. Maybe my little cutting got polyps that have more of the reddish polyps. It really is an incredible little micro and I can't wait for it to grow and grow
Old 02/19/2007, 09:19 PM
RC Sponsor

Yes I have noticed in all colonies the leading edge and the less mature polyps are colored somewhat differently
Old 02/19/2007, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

doctor64776 you are MICROMAN
Old 02/19/2007, 11:59 PM
Premium Member

thanks guys, i feel better now !!!, im sorry for my comment but i felt a little frustrated because i feel part of this MICROCOMMUNITY, anyway thanks, wendy i think the 3rd colony from the top is the laffy taffy, the other one i dont know any name for it, doc, the first colony is very pretty and huge ( like 100 polyps ), but the different paterns that you guys have are insane, BTW, have you guys seen the web site about zooanthids including the names give them by the owners, its awesome and it helps with the id of the different colonies, it would be really nice to create a site about micromussas and acanthastreas, there are enough different morphs to do it and well identified, doc, you have my vote as an honorary president.
Old 02/20/2007, 06:15 AM
RC Sponsor

wakeupdrowzy
Thank You for the comment

Calero LOL you spin me
Old 02/21/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

Hey Doc I need to get that blackjack

I've been a little busy. Here are some new ones

Old 02/22/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member.

All Delight, love the first one. Here's my smashmouth. Got 3 polyps 4 months ago. I now have over twenty!

Old 02/22/2007, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

Caddisfly - Thats crazy!! How do you make them grow soooo fast?

Looks awesome!
Old 02/22/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member.

Thanks All Delight. I'm not sure I can tell you my secrets. If I tell you, everyone will know.... J/K I try to feed them every day. IMO the most beneficial food is the formula one pellets. It is easy to feed each polyp with the pellets and they are very high in nutrition. I also use cyclopeeze, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp.
Old 02/22/2007, 08:09 AM
RC Sponsor

Gorgeous! all of those look like morphs I have not seen before wow soo nice!
Old 02/22/2007, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

AllDelight, put me on the list for a few polyps of that first one . So gorgeous.

Caddisfly, awesome Smashmouth...wow, so brilliant in color. Great idea on the small pellets. I feed those daily to a few of my fish that love them. I notice my chalices will suck em down when they land on the mouths but I had not thought to try with the micros
Old 02/22/2007, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Caddisfly - wow never thought of that! I just feed mysis one or twice a week.

slojmn - we'll have to trade