Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2003, 11:07 PM
Latte Man

Our Progress To-Date on New 135RR (Image Intense)

A couple weeks ago our Oceanic 135RR and Cherry Oak stand arrived (custom canopy due in 2 weeks). The first order of business was to design/build the electrical control panel. Before doing so, I created a graphic replica of the entire setup in Paint Shop Pro 8.0. Below is a two-side view (front and right side) with the external structure transparent to reveal the inside of the setup. I used the PSP graphic to design and properly dimension the electrical control panel components.

This next picture shows a photo I took at a LFS of the exact stand we were to receive so I could get a better idea of how the stand was constructed.

Here’s a shot of our stand with the initial trial installation of the structure that holds the two American DJ PC-100/A AC Power Centers. Note the rear center brace has been removed to permit installing the 48 gallon sump into the stand.

Last edited by DJ88©; 01/20/2004 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11/21/2003, 11:08 PM
Latte Man

Part 2 - Our Progress To-Date on New 135RR (Image Intense)

This next shot is the initial layout of the receptacles panel on which I’ll install 10 receptacles (20 outlets). You can also see the electrical schematic I created to properly arrange the receptacles and wiring.

The following shot shows the support structure and receptacle panel installed into the stand for a trial fit.

The next picture shows the receptacle panel assembly installed after staining. You can also see that I’ve started the wiring. Note the three Intermatic DT17 Digital Timers on the right side near the cabinet door opening.

Last edited by DJ88©; 01/20/2004 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11/21/2003, 11:09 PM
Latte Man

Part 3 - Our Progress To-Date on New 135RR (Image Intense)

Here’s are a couple shots of the completed electrical panel assembly.

And a final shot of the stand with the custom 48 gallon acrylic sump (courtesy of Marc Levenson) with the AquaC EV-180 protein skimmer, and custom electrical control panel and power center installed.
Comments are welcomed on what Cathy and I have managed to accomplish so far! This is a blast and we can’t wait to have the tank setup and cycling by early December!

Thanks for taking the time to see our progress to-date!

Last edited by DJ88©; 01/20/2004 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11/21/2003, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Wow. I think you have set the standard for organization, and truling manificent wiring and electrical work in the stand. I like how it had to be modified, very cool. Looks like a lot of planning went into this one. Do you think you coud tell us your plans for the tank? Thanks! -Will

ps Looks like you dog was sleepin' on the job
Old 11/21/2003, 11:35 PM
Latte Man

Thanks!

Willra,

Thanks for the encouraging words! Our 6 year old Shepherd goes everywhere with me and can always be found lying in my vicinity! She's a great companion!

The tank is a standard Oceanic 135RR. I will install Durso standpipes in the overflow vs. the standard Oceanic type. The canopy (see the PSP graphic in my previous post above) will contain 3 250W MH mini-pendants and two 140W VHO actinics. I will also be installing two Orion 5" fans into the ends of the canopy for cooling flow.

Here's a shot of the tank on the back porch after the initial filling/cleaning. Gonna leave it overnight to check for leaks.

Last edited by DJ88©; 01/20/2004 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11/22/2003, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

I am wondering why no one else has replied to this thread The setup is going to be killer! -Will
Old 11/22/2003, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

That is one hell of an electrical setup you have going on there....I was in the same predicament not to long ago with the Oceanic Stand not being able to fit any kind of good sized sump underneath...I didnt want to take out the center brace, so I ended up using an old amiracle 20 gal type sump under it...Not exactly what I had in mind (a 55gal) but oh well too late...but your setup looks great!
Old 11/22/2003, 12:53 AM
TRC Leader

Outstanding! Very organized and streamline. Best wishes with it.

P.S. Love the Shephed, I have a 5 year old shep. who is always at my heels.
Old 11/22/2003, 12:59 AM
Premium Member

Wow... really nice setup. Looks like you are really planning this think every inch of the way. Can't wait to see that up and running.
Old 11/22/2003, 01:52 AM
ren and stimpy

wow, very nice. that electrical setup is top notch, i have never seen anything like that, i have no idea how to wire something like that, really cool. I can't wait to do my oceanic 180 RR, its just sitting in storage because i have too many tanks setup right now and i have no room for my 180, i may be contacting you for electrical advice!

Old 11/22/2003, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

The electrical setup is extremely neat and pleasing to the eye. I am loving the way you planned before the setup, wish I had done that myself. Kudos to you

REEF HOBBYIST WARNING: Patience Needed
Old 11/22/2003, 03:04 AM
Registered Member

all i can say is that is one amazing electrical setup. beats the crap out of wires running from every direction to a couple of powerstrips. can't wait to see the tank up and running. Good luck.
Old 11/22/2003, 03:10 AM
Registered Member

Should add to your occupation: Electrical Engineer Consultant for Reefs! That's amazing. I can't wait to see it up and running. Good Job!!!
Old 11/22/2003, 03:11 AM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

I'm gonna tag along on this one.. I like the electrical work you've done. Had to do the same my self, tho not as pretty looking. The finish on the stand is beautiful. Keep us all posted.
Old 11/22/2003, 07:26 AM
Latte Man

Your Kind Words Are Appreciated!!!

To be honest, this is the first project of its kind I've ever attempted. I've never done any wiring like it in the past, but discovered there's really nothing to it if you invest a little time in research. Being in the aerospace business, especially the manufacturing/delivery end, there's no way I could do this without paying attention to detail and making it look professional and pleasing to the eye. After all, what would all my co-workers think

What you can't see yet since I haven't installed it is a plexiglas barrier that will fit in between the sump and the electrical control panel area. You can see the lower guide track in a couple of the photos. The barrier will help protect all the outlets from getting splashed with water in the event something is dropped in the sump during maintenance. Since safety is very important when mixing water and electricity, we decided early on to do our best to isolate the electrical area from the sump. Also, each of the two AC power centers (American DJ units) get their supply from separate GFI-protected 15 AMP circuits added to the circuit breaker panel. This keeps all the aquarium electrical separate from the other house-related circuits.

We'll keep everyone posted as we proceed with the remaining assembly and startup activities! Thanks again for all the encouraging comments!
Old 11/22/2003, 07:33 AM
My guard dog!

Bummer, couldn't view it. When I tried to see one of the pics I got this message:

Quote:
Access Denied. Bandwidth limit exceeded.

Exceeded your Bandwidth quota? Has your hobby grown into a thriving business? Sounds like you need to upgrade from your BellSouth Personal Web Page to BellSouth Shared Web Hosting!
With BellSouth Shared Web Hosting, you receive plenty of bandwidth and hard disk space, as well as the flexibility to design the site you've always wanted--all for a very affordable price.

BellSouth Shared Web Hosting offers several plans and options to choose from, as well as the choice to have the charges billed to you via your BellSouth phone bill.

Choose the Plan That's Right For You
Old 11/22/2003, 07:52 AM
Latte Man

Quote:
Originally posted by LowCel
Bummer, couldn't view it. When I tried to see one of the pics I got this message:
Thanks for the tip, LowCel. I don't have that problem here at my PC since the pictures are cached. Seems the standard Bellsouth quota for bandwidth is pretty low. I'll repost the pictures in another way so you can see them.

Sorry you got bummed out I'm pretty bummed right now as well... but I should have it fixed here pretty soon. I'm upgrading my bellsouth account to a shared web space account with unlimited bandwidth. Should be completed by sometime this evening.

Last edited by dmiannay; 11/22/2003 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11/22/2003, 08:33 AM
Latte Man

In the Mean Time...

I've uploaded a few of the pictures into my RC gallery. Go check them out there.

Thanks again for taking the time to share our little project.
Old 11/22/2003, 10:01 AM
G-Stoned !

Cant see any of the pics in this thread !!!
Old 11/22/2003, 06:51 PM
Latte Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Slot
Cant see any of the pics in this thread !!!
Brian,

Please check the pictures in my gallery. I'm still having web hosting problems, so the pictures I originally posted in this thread are still unavailable.

I apologize for the inconvenience
Old 11/25/2003, 09:47 PM
Latte Man

The Thread Has Been Restored!

Thanks to DJ88 (Darren) my original thread has now been repaired and the photo links restored. A fellow RC member was kind enough to make space available on his server to host my pictures so this thread could continue. I owe him (he knows who he is!) a debt of gratitude!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy our little project!
Old 11/26/2003, 09:22 AM
"Truth Takes Time"

What can I say? I'm so proud of my man...
Old 11/26/2003, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

More More More Pics PLEASE PLEASE!!!
Old 11/26/2003, 10:41 AM
Latte Man

I'll be starting the plumbing this weekend and will try and post more pix then.

Hope all of you have a safe and enoyable Thanksgiving holiday!
Old 11/26/2003, 11:14 AM
Reef Geek

Great electrical work cant wait for more pics . Are you worried any about removing the center brace on the stand? Since the stand seems to be made out of 1/2" plywood. It maybe be more but thats what the pictures look like. My stand for my 125Gal oceanic has 2x 2x4s in each corner and 2 in the center and the top rail is 2x 2x4s stacked. Its alittle over done, in know.

MACNA XVIII - Houston, TX Sept 22nd-24th 2006