Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/23/2004, 07:35 AM
Reef Gnome

Negative Feedback For Rastafarian

He didn't sell me anything so maybe I'm not allowed posting here... however that's the problem. I was promised an entire lighting setup for my 90 gal tank. I sold my lighting system to buy his (I even told him I sold it to buy his setup) I request payment info from him and he answers me 2 days later saying that he sold it to someone else. that's not the only problem I called dibs on them once and then he jacked me around for a while then tells me that I do have dibs, then sells them out from under me. glad I didn't just send him the money. this is the exact conversation...

s1xtyfe3t wrote on 06/21/2004 03:15 PM:
I'm interested in the IC MH's, the IC 430 w/bulbs, the wavemakers, and the ph controller
what brand is the ph controller?
how old are the ballasts?
What is the length of the vho bulbs?

rastafarian wrote on 06/21/2004 10:27 AM:
The PH controller is no-name. I think it was made my Mr Aqua.
All the ICEcap ballasts are right at one year old
The 4 VHO bulbs are 36 inches (2 bulbs are new in box, 2 have less that one month usage)
Ryan

s1xtyfe3t wrote on 06/21/2004 04:53 PM:
let me know how to go about payment and we can go from there... I have to go to work now but I'll be on here later tonight so you can either send me an email or pm me and we'll work it out. if possible could you add the won heater to my order. thanks, Josh

rastafarian wrote on 06/21/2004 12:46 PM:
I currently have 1 Icecap MH ballast and the Icecap 430.
IC 175 MH ballast (with mogul, spider, and bulb)-$100
IC 430 VHO ballast (4 bulbs, endcaps)-$100
Do you need shipping?
I accept payment via paypal. My account is ryan@*******.org
Without shipping your total is $200, shipping would be another $20-25
Ryan

s1xtyfe3t wrote on 06/21/2004 07:37 PM:
wait a minute.... I called dibs on both metal halide ballasts... I need both I have no use for just one.

They are all now available. Both MH's and the 430. Please let me know. Sorry it has to be such a PITA...
Ryan

this is what I sent him:
please send me payment info and I will pay you tonight. I'd prefer to get these shipped tomorrow via priority mail if possible. I have sold my lighting setup in order to purchase yours and I'm just running fluorescent lights for the between time so I really need to get them asap.

this was his response:
Tonight I had someone offer me a lump sum for everything. He had cash and was in person. Sorry dude.

Ryan
Old 06/23/2004, 08:15 AM
Moved In

Pretty lame!

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 06/23/2004, 08:55 AM
The BS stops here!

He told me that I had the calcium reactor set-up. Wouldn't tell me how to pay. Then nothing, not even a (i sold it to some one else). I hate *******s like this.
Old 06/23/2004, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

He never responded to me at all..
And mail box was full.
Old 06/23/2004, 09:33 AM
The BS stops here!

Jagoff finaly responded. Has no ethics. Sold everything out from under every one he promised it to
Old 06/23/2004, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

By looking at one or two threads, it may look like I am backing out. The reality of the matter is last night after some particularly disturbing communications, I decided that anything high-dollar could not be sold over the internet and shipped. This morning, when I went to RC to inform those with out-standing bids of my decision, I was met once again with hostility.

I am sorry if you feel slighted, blame those online fools who put dibs on everything in sight and then backout.

Ryan
Old 06/23/2004, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I sold my lighting system to buy his (I even told him I sold it to buy his setup)

That is a decision you made. Would you feel any different if I told you I just decided not to sell?
Old 06/23/2004, 12:37 PM
Reef Gnome

so you did or did not sell the items... the quote from earlier in this thread here implies that you just changed your mind about selling... but the pm you sent me said that you sold the items. I don't understand what the deal is... I did not try to haggle with you about anything... not price, not shipping, not anything. I am 100 percent honest about every deal I make, and I have made quite a few here on rc. In fact the lights that I sold are being shipped out today. I suppose I could refund the guys money and tell him I changed my mind, But that's not how I do business. I promised them to him... he paid... they're his property. That's how business should be done. I'm just expressing my feelings on what happened. I'm in a real bind here now because I have very poor lighting for high lighting requirement corals. Hopefully I can find someone who is willing to help me out soon enough before everything expires.

indeed selling my lighting was my choice. however it was a choice that was based upon your word. Word that was trusted to be truth.
Old 06/24/2004, 10:47 AM
Moved In

Actually you made a deal, and no matter how you look at it, it was unethical to back out. You put them up on the internet in the first place. Just because someone else ruined it for you, doesn't make it right to screw others.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 06/24/2004, 11:09 AM
The BS stops here!

Thank you Debi, finnaly some one is seeing our side.
Old 06/25/2004, 01:50 AM
Moved On

seems to me that typical business protocol is that the "deal" occurs when money is exchanged. A wish and a prayer are comforting, but I haven't had any buyers expecting me to deny cold, hard cash in my hand compared to their ephemeral internet desires.

btw, jjjimmy, I "see" your side. I just don't agree with your points or the tone you're using.

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Actually you made a deal, and no matter how you look at it, it was unethical to back out. You put them up on the internet in the first place. Just because someone else ruined it for you, doesn't make it right to screw others.
Old 06/25/2004, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Mope54,

If what you are saying is correct and a deal isn't done until the money changes hands, why would anyone buy on RC? I think a deal is made when the buyer and seller agree on a price and terms of payment and the deal remains until one side or the or the other fails to live up to their end of the deal or the merchandise is received by the buyer. Why else would you hassle with paypal or send a MO if in the meantime someone could sell the item out from under you? In that case they have your money and you have to wait until they get around to refunding it to you. I doubt that will work for most people.

Having said all of that and reading the info posted in the thread I don't think there was ever a deal made between these two people. Several times there were questions asked and offers made by both sides, but from the text at no point did the seller say that the lights were his or promised them to him. I think the buyer assumed he was the only one that got an email saying the lights were still available. He could have been one of 10 getting the same email and someone got back to the seller first. I know when I have had a buyer stiff me after telling me something is sold I have sent out the same sort of email to all of the folks that had contacted me about it. May sound cold but until the seller says "they are yours" they aren't.

And what is up with this dibs nonsense? I know what in means in relationship to the front seat in moms' minivan, but buying and selling stuff on line? When people post that does it mean they are agreeing to buy it no matter what? Or are they bored and want some one to exchange 100 emails with while they jerk them around over something they aren't going to buy anyway? No idea.

FWIW
Derek
Old 06/25/2004, 12:04 PM
Moved On

hey derek,

Thanks for the comments. I think we're pretty much in agreement. I wasn't meaning too strict of a definition of money changing hands. I was just trying to distinguish that just saying something is yours and even hearing that you are eligible to buy it do not necessarily make a binding business deal.

Almost all of my buyers (all of the ones I can remember) have ended their emails with, "if someone comes along with cash, don't wait for me." Now, if someone really is interested, I will agree to hold for a few days if that person needs me to.

I wasn't too impressed with the details of the complaint, either. The original poster's email indicated that he wasn't interested in anything unless he got both lights. At that point he relinquished claim (assuming one says people can call "dibs" on something for the sake of discussion) on the items that were available.

But this (non)deal doesn't really affect. I mainly posted because some people were impunging the character of all sellers on RC. I don't think that's appropriate based on this one interaction.
Old 06/28/2004, 04:52 AM
Moved On

Ya, that thread got pretty ugly FAST. Heard the pms were even worse. Ryan had allot for sale in one post. I was on it early, and pm'd him about the timers, 2 Mag 9s, and the Mag 7. Ended up with the timers and one of the Mag 9s. Communication was good, I have been given a valid tracking number, and am expecting the package in the next couple days.

I agree with this "dibs" thing. I have had it done to me before on several boards. I post something, and someone calls "dibs" on half of it, then emails or pms me and wants a "package deal", or wants to haggle on the price. Until I hear "Its yours" point blank, from a seller, or I have paypal coming to me or agreed to wait on a money order that someone says they sent as a seller myself, whatever I have is still for sale.

I'm sure Ryan got blasted with pms. replies. and emails on the stuff he had f/s. One comment I would make Ryan, dont put so much for sale at one time. Will save you allot of aggrevation, and you'll have to listen to allot less whining about people not getting something, or misunderstanding what you pm'd or emailed them.

My experience with Ryan, so far, has been POSITIVE though.