Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 12/31/2007, 10:39 AM
I am a super nose picker

The lights cost me $1000 witch to me is pretty fair compared to what else is out there.I would have paid $1500 to $2000 per fixture.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

The coraline algae covering the back of the tank sounds like a good idea. Just have to be patient. I trying to get the sides and lower back glass to cover. More in the area's I can't clean.

$1000 for your lights sounds pretty reasonable for what you got. Didn't they specify that the plugs where all not on the same side? Bit of a pain.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:12 AM
I am a super nose picker

I hooked up my wave box and got it going.Its very cool.I set up the wave so its nice but not going to flood my floor.I took a video
Old 01/04/2008, 11:24 AM

uh...was that a wave or were you moving the camera around?? Do the fish like it?? Looks like they were all head-in.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:25 AM
I am a super nose picker

I took another video I will post it in a minute.The fish seem to like it
Old 01/04/2008, 11:34 AM
I am a super nose picker

I took this video first but I mixed up the two.I wasn't going to post the other one.
Old 01/04/2008, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

steve, does the wavebox effect your overflow? if so, does it alter your sump water levels and skimmer performance?
Old 01/04/2008, 01:35 PM

nice. You know Roger @ Tunze told me that on an 8' tank, the wave box can push 15,000 gph.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

So what kind of wave are you getting? 1"? Its hard to tell from the video.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

They are pretty neat how they work. I seen a tank with a couple in it, would of loved to seen a video of it.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:12 PM

lots of wave box videos on youtube guys.
Old 01/04/2008, 07:20 PM
I am a super nose picker

Its about a 1" wave.It doesn't affect my sump at all.The water goes back and forth.I would have to cut my overflow teeth to lower them so I could lower the water level and then make a stronger wave.I am happy with it.I have read that it shortens the lifespan of a glass tank but I don't know about acrylic.I can take more vids if you like.The unit does make a bit of noise but its not bad.It has a photo cell so it shuts off at night.You can also use the feed button to stop it to feed the fish.I think you can also add a tunze pump to the controller.The skimmer is performing the same.It would be nice if my overflow teeth were lower then I could make a 2" ,or even bigger wave.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

does the wave cause the overflows and standpipes to make more noise due to the changing water levels?
Old 01/04/2008, 10:44 PM
I am a super nose picker

I have the stockman pipes.It does make the overflow a little louder because of the water sloshing but its not that bad.The stockman pipes are pretty quiet.It does make a differance in sound but compared to not having the stockman pipes its a joke.When I didn't have the pipes it was a waterfall.Plus at night the unit shuts off so you won't hear it.Like I said its not as quiet but I wouldn't say its loud.You just hear a little bit of sloshing.My fans for the lights are louder than that.Its not annoying,trust me if it was annoying I would notice.I am very happy with the unit and I don't know if having a center overflow makes it more silent.I can't tell you its dead silent because its not.The tunze pump makes a slight humming sound but I heard it does this when the pump is new.I don't have a decibel meter to tell you exactly how loud it is.I would get yourself a unit and if you are not happy with it sell it or return it.Like I said off e bay I saved $100 compared to every where else.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

thanks Steve
Old 01/05/2008, 10:33 AM
I am a super nose picker

no problem.I tested it last night with no fans or sound in the room.I could hear my dart pump humming in the cabinet and my overflow.The overflow itself isn't loud you do hear a little water falling and a slight hissing sound from air in the pipe(stockman has a tube).I have the water set at 1" below the teeth.I turned on the wave box and you could hear some splashing.Take into account that I have my wave hitting the top brace of the tank(left side) so this is a little louder than normal.I can tell you my fixture fans are louder and its not that bad.It would be nice to get an even higher wave going but I am not about to cut my overflow teeth.I could try and shut of my return pump and play around with the wave.I could also divert the flow from my return pump to lower the water level and then make a larger wave but I would rather have more turn over.The wave box does works as advertised.You do see particles rise up and move around.I cleaned my front panel and I saw all the algae and crap move around.Things get stirred up more with the unit on.I noticed a big difference with it on.If my cl pump ever burns out I would get a stronger pump.The random flow from the OM unit helps as well.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:30 PM
I am a super nose picker

I was at my friends house, he has a 125.His damsel fish had babies.You can see the eggs.It was a surprise to us both.You can see the eyes of the fish.We did see a few swimming around but who knows if they will live or die.The fish laid the eggs near the overflow.His tank has been running for 3 to 4 years now.He hardly does water changes and he uses tap water.He doesn't keep SPS.Mostly LPS
Old 01/05/2008, 09:47 PM

get some and put them in a grow-out tank!
Old 01/05/2008, 09:53 PM
I am a super nose picker

I told him to place them in his sump.I would worry about trying to remove the eggs.I think trying to catch them when they hatch wouldn't be easy either.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

A bloke here in Oz had the same thing happen. They ended up as food for the other fish and corals. He was going to let nature take it's course.

Personally I would catch as many as I could, and try to raise them. If you could imagine the store credit's you could get.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:25 PM

well, they usually are gobbled up in no time. but if you can get them into protective surroundings, you might get lucky. You have to have the right food, temp., flow, etc.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

To much work then, live food for all
Old 01/05/2008, 11:35 PM

That's the way I see it too. That is an excellent snack and I think gives the fish a little slice of home.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:33 PM
I am a super nose picker

Ok I got my shipment in(at least part of it) I got the T5 lights and 2 x 250 watt ebo jager heaters.I will use one in my sump and maybe the other in my salt storage container when I do my water change or I will just keep it as a spare.The online LFS had a sale.I should get my MH bulbs also later today along with 2 x #4 korilia pumps and my 2 magnets for the tunze wave box.I did buy 2 bubble tip anemones.One is purple tip and the other is regular.they have moved around out of the lights so I can't take a pic.The purple tip I may be able to get a pic of.I also bought a small brain coral.I might change out my bulbs now or I will wait until I get the legs for my light fixtures.Since the lights are on PVC pipes its a bit of a pain in butt to switch out the bulbs and then balance the fixture.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:46 PM
I am a super nose picker

well speak of the devil mr UPS rang the bell.