Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07/20/2004, 05:00 PM
TRC Leader

Melev's new 280g Starfire tank thread

Hey guys, I'm about to upgrade to a huge 280g Starfire in the next couple of weeks. I'm buying it used from a club member, and will be adding to this thread as things progress.

Here are a few images to set the stage. First, the tank is going where my 55g is currently located, but it'll go in-wall:

The new tank will face the living room, but the right side will be visible too, so this corner will be cut out so I can view the tank from the end.

This is the other side of the garage, as you can see it is nowhere near ready. YET.

And this is a shot of the tank I'm getting:

Currently, the tank is on a 40" welded steel stand, which is too tall. The tank is 36" tall as far as I know, but I'm going to remeasure it.

Lighting is 3x400w 10,000K MH, and 2x(6' long) actinic VHO. What is that wattage, btw?

Return pump is an Ampmaster 3000, and the tank is drilled in the back - halfway down- for a closed loop. It has dual overflow boxes in the rear corners.

Two Tunze Stream pumps will move help keep the current random. A Lifereef Protein Skimmer and Calcium Reactor will handle those needs, and of course I'll be using RO/DI water as always.

The livestock from my 29g and my 55g will end up in this tank, along with all the LR I have. I believe I have 200 lbs worth currently.

Inside the garage, I'm going to build two interior walls, and insulate them from the heat of summer / cold of winter. It'll be my little fish room. I do have to move the water heater, but will have access to water and a drain. That allows me to put an RO/DI unit in the same room as the tank. I'll keep my other RO/DI unit in the utility room as we like to make our own drinking water and it is handy.

My plan is to add an A/C duct to the ceiling of the fish room, and a vent fan (similar to those used in a bathroom). I may set up that fan on a thermo-sensor. Another idea is a window unit to cool the room, and create a plenum that would vent all the hot air of the window A/C right up into the attic area. I don't really like that option, because window units are not very energy efficient.

Access will be from the fishroom, but also from the front. Currently, I have no plans to access the lower section from the front. I need to remeasure the tank again so I can design the new platform/stand and make sure it is strong enough.

I hope all these details didn't bore you to death, and feel free to make suggestions, ask questions, and share your own experiences.