Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 08:19 PM
NaH2O

fragging glue

When I frag corals and want to make them adhere to plugs and rubbles, I plan on using superglue rather than those expensive "coral glues" some vendors carry. What is the key ingredient I am looking for in super glue gel that makes it safe to use with aquaria?
tia
Old 12/29/2007, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Actually the most cost efficient choice is to buy the coral glues for they come in a very large amount compared to the super glue gell you see at your normal store. I would advise getting the ice gell, which can be found at ocean treasures... Its about 9 dollars.
Old 12/29/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Recently I found the best superglue at Home Depot. Look for the Loctite superglue gel professional, it actually says on the packaging that it can be used for reef. It's about 5 bucks for 10gm and has a no clog tip.
Old 12/29/2007, 08:41 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Quote:
Originally posted by sheepdawg
Recently I found the best superglue at Home Depot. Look for the Loctite superglue gel professional, it actually says on the packaging that it can be used for reef. It's about 5 bucks for 10gm and has a no clog tip.
Agreed. I think pretty much all super glues are about the same. I prefer the gel kind and have found good deals at hobby stores.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 12/30/2007, 01:33 AM
Premium Member

When gluing frags a gel type superglue is the only option in my experience. I usually pick up several tubes of IC gel at BAR meetings for $5 as it is the best value I have found for an effective product at a low cost and large size.

If I need something in the meantime I usually just buy some type of superglue gel at home depot. Lock Tite seems to work fine but it is a little pricy for the limited number of uses you get out of it.

Aqua Mend (also available at Home Depot) is a nice DIY solution for a 2 part reef safe epoxy for larger uses.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:41 AM
Registered Member

Make sure the product has cyanoacrylate and the gell is the best. As far as where to and how much to get, depends on how much fragging. It may be cheaper to get a larger amount but if you only frag a little and the the glue hardens thats no goood. It would seem better to get several small tubes then.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:42 PM
NaH2O

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebmorri
Make sure the product has cyanoacrylate and the gell is the best. As far as where to and how much to get, depends on how much fragging. It may be cheaper to get a larger amount but if you only frag a little and the the glue hardens thats no goood. It would seem better to get several small tubes then.
That ingredient is the information I was really fishing for
Thanks a ton. I only plan to be fragging zoas really. It'll be my first time attempt at fragging these guys.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

coralaffix is the one i use....its a cyanoacrylate and works good...i was going through superglue gel tubes like crazy till i got this