Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 12/29/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

My Journey With RSM 34G - Nano Reefer

My RSM tank just passed 4 months old, with some resident transferred from my decommed NC24DX.
Here are my specs of my RSM tank:
1. Tank Base: Aragonite sand from RSM kit mixed with 6lb Nature Ocean Hawaiian Puka Shell and 6lb Australia Gold Puka Shell --> makes aboout 3" deep sand bed
2. Main Tank Sacpe: was done with artificial life rock (made from hollow carbon fiber mixed with gypsum) and about 3lb real live rock
3. Chiller: JBJ Artica 1/10Hp with Eheim compact 1000 l/hr
4. Fluidize Reactor: Skimz FR-100 with aquapharm SORB-4 driven by Eheim compact 600 l/hr in series with UV sterilizer.
5. UV : Coralife Turbo Twister 3x 9w
6. Wavemaker: Tunze 6055 with 7091 controller and photocell
7. Aquarium Controller: Aquatronica with pH, ORP, level, water leakage modules
8. Ozoniser: Sander Certizon C25
9. Moonlight: Hydor submersible aquarium LED
I did some minor scaping today will upload the photo tomorrow when the mainlight is on.
Here is the photo with LED moonlight original from RSM and additional Hydor LED moonlight shine onto main reflector.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

I have problem with uploading photo, so this is FTS photo taken last week.
Hopefully is working now.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Lookin Nice!!
Old 12/29/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Awesome!
Old 12/29/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

thats a fine tank you got there.....very colorful.......however, dont be surprise is the tang police comes after you
Old 12/29/2007, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Very nice colors! Congrats on a great looking setup.
Old 12/29/2007, 06:01 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Wow! That's the most colourful tank I've seen yet!
Old 12/29/2007, 06:12 PM
Excuse My French...

Very nice: Could become a nTotM winner!
Old 12/30/2007, 02:42 AM
Premium Member

Hey thedidavid,

I love it! Do you have some pics of your mods? A picture tells a thousand words. Did you have any issues with micro bubbles? How did you go with the stock RSM skimmer, is it working ok for you? Does your sun coral come out during the day, it looks like it? Sorry to ask so many questions. Am always keen to hear from fellow RSM owners.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Hi Gigs,
I notice the skimmer needs time to break over. I have one complete set skimmer for standby. In fact I always have problem when I am exchanging my skimmer every 1-2 month for cleaning, I always get MB for first week. So what I did is I tune the air inlet slowly and once I heard bubble starts forming I stop and wait for 1-2 days until the gunk is forming steady I start to increase the air inlet by about 1/2 turn. So far this is working for me, it takes lots of frustration to adjust this skimmer but now I get use to it.
The sun coral is only open when I dump the coral food or fish food into the tank.
I did not do lots of modifications, the lighting still stock and all the pumps are still standard only I put lots of add-ons to my tank. I prefer to keep everything inside cabinet since this tank is in my living room.

Old 12/30/2007, 03:39 PM
Killer of Giants

That's some serious coral collection! Nice Scolymia!!!
Old 12/30/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Love your BLue Tang. I recently got one about half that size.
Old 12/30/2007, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

hi thedidavid,

I have signed up / created account to the SRC forum in your links but am still unable to go to your links as it says "Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature." even tho I am logged in. Can you tell me which sub forum and thread is your tank journal as I can browse the treads without isses?
Old 12/30/2007, 06:23 PM
Zoa Fanatic

How is the clam doing under that light?
Old 12/30/2007, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

awesome tank. very nice assortment of color!
Old 01/02/2008, 04:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zma21
How is the clam doing under that light?
Sorry for late reply, the clams doing fine, I have 2 crocea and 1 maxima all of them about 4 months old. I think RSM lighting is sufficient for keeping clam.
Old 01/02/2008, 04:16 AM
Registered Member

Controller and wavemaker that I use in my tank.

Old 01/09/2008, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

This is the end of my tank, the tank cracked without apparent reason while no one at home and I only found out 8/1/2008 6:30 pm when I am reaching home after work. It leaves trace of tsunami in my flat. Damaging my parquet and gives me 5 hours non stop cleaning the mess. Sadness losing almost 50% of my live stock and extended damage that will potentially cost me more money. The tank is replaced by RSM but I still having hard time to quel my emotion.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Ouch, that was probably the tangs trying to get out. Choose better livestock now the fish gods were not happy
Old 01/09/2008, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Sir;
Very sorry for the mishap-however, given all the add-ons, why purchase the RSM in the first place?
Best of Luck-Jerry
Old 01/09/2008, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by black_majik
Ouch, that was probably the tangs trying to get out. Choose better livestock now the fish gods were not happy
It's doesn't matter, this can happen to anyone with who has aquarium, just wish is not your turn next. BTW all the tangs still alive housed at LFS temporarily.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JB23
Sir;
Very sorry for the mishap-however, given all the add-ons, why purchase the RSM in the first place?
Best of Luck-Jerry
I dunno bro just feel that this tank is the perfect shape and color for my living room, I watch my tank more than the telly, totally cured my couch potato behaviour. I don't really like custom squared type tank.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
That wasn't nice. Rubbing salt in his wounds.

Sir - Really sorry to hear of your loss. We almost bought a RSM. Does have that visual appeal. Can't imagine 20-30 gallons on a parquet floor though. Good luck.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:06 AM
Premium Member

Sorry to hear about your loss thedidavid.
As you mentioned it can happen to all kind of thanks but I feel bad for you to loose such a great setup.
Hope you can recover most and your new tank will be as beautiful as the first one

Regards
Michael
MAXreefer
Old 01/10/2008, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

thedidavid- I wasn't literally meaning the tangs are what broke your glass it does happen to everyone's tank. I was poking fun at the fact you have 2 to-be large tangs in a 34. Sorry if you were offended.

By the way your tank looked absolutely beautiful ( aside from the tangs) Sorry for the accident the "ouch" was supposed to mean that i guess it came out the wrong way.