Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish

Old 01/09/2008, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Help with choosing the right anemone.

Hey everyone,

I have a 54 corner tank that currently has a 13" condylactis anemone with a clarkii clown hosting in it. Beginning this week, it has already eaten one of my damsels and one of my chromis and I am thinking it is just to big for the tank and they are getting hit by the anemone on accident. I have decided to take it down to the LFS this weekend and trade it in, but I dont want my clarkii to be without a home so I am trying to figure out what anemone would be best to replace it with. BTA and Sebae are the only two that come to mind and I dont know much about either one other than the simple tank requirements. Anyone have any advice on what anemone I should get based on their experience?
Old 01/09/2008, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

You don't mention your lighting, but I would say a nice size BTA would be a good choice. They are somewhat hardier than sebae anemones. Both species of anemone you mention are natural hosts for clarkii. You just want to make sure the anemone you purchase is at least 3 times in diameter as the length of your clownfish.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, I have a 250w MH. I have heard that BTA's have a reputation for reproducing and quickly taking over a tank, is that true? That is probably the main reason for me still trying to decide between the two.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GigaFish
Sorry, I have a 250w MH. I have heard that BTA's have a reputation for reproducing and quickly taking over a tank, is that true? That is probably the main reason for me still trying to decide between the two.
They do split more often that sebae anemones. If you do get a split and you are worried about them taking over the tank then you could just remove the clone and sell it to another reefer. The BTA's are probably the best decision to go for IMO
Old 01/09/2008, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Look in the Clownfish and Anemone forum at the anemone FAQ. It will tell you what anems are natural host for what clown and allot more.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

It would take many years for a BTA to take over your tank. It is not that hard to get them off the rocks and sell them if they split.
FWIW: Large BTAs (>6") are less likely to split than small ones.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

I think that the anemone did you a favor by eating the damsel!
Old 01/09/2008, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

I agree, BTA's are a more hardy nem. I have one that has yet to split, but I keep hoping!
Good luck!