Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 02:22 PM
OT Aluminum Chef

Plumbing ?

Tank will have 2 returns -

When plumbing from the pump, would it be better to "T" off to the returns lower and have a short vertical rise (from "T") to each of them or run the "T" parallel (sp?) to both returns and have a longer vertical rise from the pump?

My thinking is to run the "T" higher and straight across to each return, thusly eliminating a couple of elbows.

Thoughts?
Old 12/26/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

I believe the best way is to have one pipe going vertically to the height you need, then T there and run the pipes horizontally to where you want to the return. If you have two pipes running vertically off one pump, it will decrease the output of the pump.
Old 12/26/2007, 03:14 PM
OT HINEY SNIFFER

Re: Plumbing ?

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeereefer
Tank will have 2 returns -

When plumbing from the pump, would it be better to "T" off to the returns lower and have a short vertical rise (from "T") to each of them or run the "T" parallel (sp?) to both returns and have a longer vertical rise from the pump?

My thinking is to run the "T" higher and straight across to each return, thusly eliminating a couple of elbows.

Thoughts?
Right on target, the more 90's you have the more head pressure you have and loss of flow. You may have an issue w/ cavitation at that tee and putting micro bubbles in the display, but I would do it as you have it planned.