Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of the Bay Area
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/02/2007, 09:14 AM
Reefer

Zero Edge aquariums... Like or don't like?

Hey Folks,
Just wondering about Zero Edge aquariums. What do you like about 'em? What don't you like about 'em?

I'm thinking that cleaning the glass will be double the work because you'll have to clean the outside as well as the inside panels!

But wow, what a neat looking tank! Is it quiet? How's that sump? Can the sump be easily doubled as a refugium?

Reefcherie, I noticed in the "introduce yourself" thread that you have a 20gal Zero Edge. How have you liked your tank so far? What's been great, what' not been great?
Old 10/03/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

I'm looking into setting up a 22zr or 20 hex zero edge in my bedroom. From what I understand, they are whisper quiet. The recently redesigned the lock system they used in their compact series and now use a more efficient house style output like on their larger systems.

Check out the blog on their website..lots of useful pics.

I've talked extensively with Wanda over at ZR- so I was able to pick up alot about their setups.
They use a pretty innovative spray bar on the inside of the tank that returns the water. From what she told me, it can be a bit tricky to get the aquascaping "right" so that the spray bar doesn't create noise.

I had the same questions about doubling the sump as a refugium. To be honest, I'm actually starting to think a better idea would be to stuff it with live rock and a skimmer and be done with it.

They are also redoing all their stands. They will be made from some type of mdf material instead of acrylic. These new stands will have a hmmm....hard to explain...not sure myself...more of a texture to them. This will bring the price down a tad. Also, they will be available with real wood exotic laminates- like tiger wood...bit more in price. The acrylic stands will still be available for a bit.

To me, cleaning the acrylic sides is the least of a concern when purchasing one of these. Actually, I'm guessing this type of tank would be ALOT easier to clean. I have a 40g aga glass breeder that with a magfloat...sand....trying to get coralline off...trying to avoid silicone seems...having to take the top off to really get at stuff...

All they do with their tanks is take an acrylic pad once over the surface....nice.

Pros- Cool factor- Period.
Probably the best standard circulation from a stock setup.
You are literally skimming the entire surface of the water.
Everything is plug and play.
Completely open top system- no bracing.
Cost- if you look at it from the perspective of purchasing a stand and small custom tank(inclue shipping)

Cons- Smallish sumps
Relies on check valve on return
No ability to use larger sump or one of their berlin systems in the stand on compacts...just won't fit
Cost- if you are concerned with the initial setup
Fish- if you want to keep anything exotic..or that might think about jumping

Hope this helps..
Old 10/03/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

I actually have a couple of questions for Reefcherie now that I've seen her pics.

First...awesome tank.

Second, what Giesemann light did you have over it, and were you happy with it?

Third, was this a custom size or a 22zr? any pics of the inside and sump area?

Thanks!
Old 11/02/2007, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

What is ZR's web address?

The one I found is not working.
Old 11/02/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

http://zeroedgeaquarium.com/
Old 11/02/2007, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

That's the same address that I had; server must have been down.
Old 11/13/2007, 06:54 AM
VILP

Sorry - have just completed a move across the country and have been pretty much absent from RC for a while. I didn't see this thread.

My zero edge tank (now sold BTW ) was the first model actually sold to a customer. The folks at ZeroEdge tell me there are many new innovations since then. I loved the concept of the tank and the ability to look down on the inhabitants (mostly clams in my case). Mine was simply too small! Trying to keep the parameters stable, stocked w/ clams (with their qty of waste and high calcium needs for growth) was a nightmare at just 20-gallons. I will not repeat that again.

An additional issue w/ mine is that it was only 8" tall. I don't think any of the current models are that short. With that depth, other than a frogfish, I never found a fish I could keep in it that didn't jump out and I gave up trying. I really wanted one little fish to add some movement for aesthetics.

Room placement can be an issue - since you need to clean all 4 sides - inside and out. We backed up at an angle to a room corner and you could clean the back side but it was sort of a pain (particularly w/o getting a wet shirt!).

Mine was whisper quiet. We didn't like the check-valve (it did get clogged as they eventually do and one morning I came downstairs to find my clams high and dry ). My husband built a little gizmo in the center to replace it (I guess you'd call it a stand pipe?). I think you can see it in at least one picture in my gallery. It blended in pretty well once it got some coralline on it. I don't know what the newer models have.

I don't think I have any pictures of the inside sump area. With mine being just 2' by 2' as a footprint, boy was my stand crowded! At one time I had a tiny skimmer and a calcium reactor both under there!

The next time around (I feel certain I will get another someday), I am seriously considering their new one (approx 60-gallons I think) that you can back up to any wall because it overflows in the "zero-edge" way on only 3 sides. The back is a standard overflow. I want the bigger size for more stable parameters and greater possibilities.

I have loved the Giessemann light (still have it) while it was working. At this time, I can't recommend them though. Getting anything fixed is pretty much impossible at this time - can't get customer service; can't get parts into the country or something. I don't know what their problem is, but that was my experience. I ended up having a friend w/ the skills completely replace the guts of ours after a few years. It sure looks nice though!

Even with the issues, I loved that darn tank! I have good memories of its most successful days. That's what carries you through the lousy ones!
Old 11/13/2007, 08:02 PM
AEFW Assasinator

It's good to hear from you Cherie, and glad the move was successful. When you're back this way come say hi!