Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Black Ocellaris & True Percula together?

Hi! I'm still a newbie but wanted to ask this here since it's about clownfish...

I was told that these two - a Black Ocellaris & a True Percula would be ok together - is this the case? The Black Ocellaris has been in the tank alone for 2 months, and I just introduced the True Percula 2 nights ago... They seem to be doing great together - no aggression shown yet, they swim and play together, but don't share the anemone at night... Will they ever? Or is this a bad combination?

Is there a chance that these 2 could become a mated pair? Or can these 2 not go together?

Thanks for your help - I've attached pictures of both...

The new True Perc

The Black Ocellaris

And them playing together...

Sorry the pics are hosted by another forum...

Kim
Old 01/11/2008, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Also - one more question for you all.. What kind of anemone is that in my 2nd pic?
Old 01/11/2008, 10:48 AM
clownfish fan

they can pair and breed if they want.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Oh good to know! Now I can cross my fingers and hope! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake putting them in together...
Old 01/11/2008, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Believe it or not, these two species actually have trouble distinguishing which species the other is. so, the two will pair off as if they are the same. They will cross breed and produce fertile offspring. The resulting offspring here are refered to as "Percullaris". As an aside, most closely related clown will cross breed. In a few months or even weeks, the two should share a night-time area, wheather it is the nem or not. Most likely it will be. If your looking into breeding the two, check out Joyce Wilkerson's book Clownfishes...Very informational.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Thank you Thank you! I already bought Joyce's book when I got the true perc yesterday... I'll try to keep you posted once they decide to start sleeping together!

Any idea on what type of nem that is? I've had it for about 2 months - is eating well and has grown... But he's different than my last BTA was in that he acts funny... He has his leg down in a hole that is about an inch or two deep - then during the day he keeps the top of him level with the surface of the rock - at night he opens up much larger when the clownfish is in him... my last BTA closed at night and was bigger during the day?
Old 01/11/2008, 11:48 AM
clownfish fan

BTA and it is very bleached, and need Tender loving Care.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Really? WOW! What do you think I should do? This is how I bought it - I asked it if was bleached when I bought it and they said no it was just white? Silly LFS...
Old 01/11/2008, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

FME there is no such thing as a white anemone. xooxathellae is brown, and a healthy nem will obviously have xooxanthellae giving it a brown tint. At least that is my understanding.