Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/24/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

Tank-O-death

Well....I had a little incident Thursday morning......

Thursday morning, I did a water change and decided to clean the powerheads on my skimmer since I haven't cleaned those in over a year. I got everything up and going, when I got a call that forced me to leave earlier than I had planned.

I returned home around 10pm......meaning that I was gone some 14 hrs. Well, apparently, clean skimmer pumps are much more efficient than dirty ones......so, the skimmer proceeded to overflow and empty my entire 200 gal sump down the drain. I had to do something....and since I had no water made up and it would take two days to generate 200 gals....I was forced to use tap water. Our water up here is actually not too bad out of the tap.

I also had some dechlorinator on hand that I've had...but never needed....for years. I filled the sump, mixed in dechlorinator, salt.....mixed well.....and powered up. Everything was back on line....went to bed.

I woke up Friday to the tank of death....every single sps coral is gone. All ricordea....gone. Fish and lps are fine....anemones...not happy; but alive. I removed all the dead stuff.....some seven buckets of sps heads ....some two feet in diameter.....very sad.

I feel that the fault was mine....I probably would have been fine with just taking the two days to create more water.....after all, my closed loop was working fine and I could have always added aeration. The second mistake was probably adding too much of a very old dechlorinator....which, I feel, was the primary cause of death. It was just a case of reacting too quickly and not thinking.

I always try to find the bright side in the face of adversity....in this case:

1) I'm going to save a ton on reactor media.
2) My cold tank is doing great....I can always look at that instead
3) no more AEFW's
4) no more red bugs
5) I guess I can reaquascape now
6) I'm now a buyer for sps heads
7) I have a vacation coming up and I won't have to worry a lick about the tank.

And to think that I was contemplating updating my site with new pics......well, at least that saves some time taking new pics.....starting over sucks.....
Old 03/24/2007, 09:53 AM
Nice Tank!!....I hate you

OMFG......sorry about your loss. Your reef was an inspiration to people. Keep your head up and things will only get better
Old 03/24/2007, 10:03 AM
Just a member

wow . .that is horrible. I can't imaging seeing all those skeletons.

Having just come back from vacation, I'm sure you'll enjoy the stress-free time though.
Old 03/24/2007, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

Very sorry to read this Steve. Your tank has been an inspiration to many here including myself. I think anyone is this area would have done the very same thing. (My tap water tds reads 27). Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 03/24/2007, 10:06 AM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

steve, soooo sorry man! keep your head up brother, it'll get better...
Old 03/24/2007, 10:09 AM
HELP SLOW

OMG, What a loss. But your attutude is awesome! I can't wait to see your new aquascaping. You are the king.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 03/24/2007, 10:14 AM
HELP SLOW

......and when you're ready for corals LMK and I can donate. My tank will be coming down in about a year and it would be nice to know that some of my babies had a home in your tank.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 03/24/2007, 10:14 AM
Premium Member

I'm speechless. This was the greatest reef tank I have ever seen. I'm sure in time it will be more spectacular than ever.
Old 03/24/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

holy cow... sad news. your tank was one of the reasons why I went for a bigger tank. When you are re-energized after the vacation I sure you will have lots of fun restocking your tank!
Old 03/24/2007, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marino420td
I'm speechless. This was the greatest reef tank I have ever seen. I'm sure in time it will be more spectacular than ever.
I second this comment.
Old 03/24/2007, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

It's pretty sadening to hear this news. But your attitude is a true show of your character. I've seen how your system works, the closed loop should have kept the tank alive while you mixed water and brought the sump back online but it wasn't unwise to use the tap water if it had low TDS. I guess the dechlorinator must have gone bad.
Old 03/24/2007, 11:13 AM
So little time

oh man that is very sad news to hear, you had one of the most incredible tanks. hope you will bounce back soon with full force.
Old 03/24/2007, 11:18 AM
Tusken Reefer

I'm sooooo sorry. Say it isn't so. Please tell me you thought today was April 1st and you accidently jumped the gun on the pranks. The best tank ever can't be dead.
Old 03/24/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

So Sorry to hear this for you Steve. Your tank was my Idol tank!
You'll be back better than before.

If you need any frags to help you get back up and running. Let me know. I always need to do some pruning.
Old 03/24/2007, 11:37 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Just awful. Sorry to hear it. I've done the same thing. Guess tap in SD is better? Sorry for your loss. Glad you're keeping a decent attitude about it though

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 03/24/2007, 11:40 AM
Always learning.

Sorry for your losses.
Old 03/24/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brewen
I second this comment.
I'll third it!!
Old 03/24/2007, 12:09 PM
espyesitis sufferer

I'm very impressed with how well you've taken this, Steve. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun rebuilding, taking it to the next level.

I'll bring you a frag at the NWCFM
Old 03/24/2007, 12:12 PM
Sps Junkie

OMYGOSH I am so sorry to hear this. I Never seen your tank but from what everyone is saying it was AWESOME. Loosing a tank that one has spent countless hours of their life on is like loosing a family member. So again, my heart goes out to you. I hope you don't loose that spark that drove you to have such a wonderful tank.

Best of luck to you and keep the head up. Brighter days are ahead.

Spankey
Old 03/24/2007, 12:18 PM
SPS Freak

That stinks. I'm sure you will have a good comeback but that would definetly cause me to rethink the hobby some. Always welcome to some of my LE and other nice corals if you want frags. Would be nice to know some of mine was able to grow up in a large tank like that. Any pictures of the aftermass?
Old 03/24/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Verry sorry to hear about this man. You setup was by far one of my favorites. But like you said, this gives you an oppertunity to do something a little different. Cant wait to see the new setup:-)
Old 03/24/2007, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

I am so sorry to hear of your loss...
Old 03/24/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

OMFG!

Nooooooo not my idol tank!

I need some time to myself to reflect on what I just read...

OK, I'm over it and cannot wait to see your reef rebuit - bigger, better stronger, faster!

Sorry for your loss, P-Stop
Old 03/24/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Sorry for the misfortune and loss. It was my favorite reef tank and a true work of living art. I have it listed in my Favorites. When it is reconstructed I'm sure it will surpass the old and become a new inspiration to many reefers. Mile.
Old 03/24/2007, 12:49 PM
I Need An Intervention!

Man I am so sorry. Your tank was an inspiration in doing the build I did. There is a lesson though that we are all learning here from you. Wait until you have extra water ready and make extra water when you do pump maintenance or anything else like this.

Again man so sorry but your attitude like others are saying is also inspiring!! in the face of a challenge you grab it head on and wrestle it to win!!