Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/03/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Cuttlefish available - Serious inquieries only..

Hello, I have a very probably connection to receive Sepia Officianalis Cuttlefish Eggs. Since the close of Octopets, there is absolutely NO dealer or individual selling this species of cuttlefish to hobbyists. Cuttlefish do not occur natural in any of the waters near the states.

My search for them has been ongoing for a very long time. Recently, I have come upon a connection that will most likely be able to import eggs into the US. (Cuttlefish do not ship well, so eggs are the best option) The catch is the minimum order to have eggs shipped is 100.

So I am looking to see how much SERIOUS interest I can find to see if this is possible. The order is hoped to occur at the end of june or early July. Eggs will be approximately 15-20 dollars each + shipping.

My preference is to find interest in the bay area first as well as individuals that would like larger quantities.

If you are not familiar with cuttlefish or this species, It is highly recommended that you do as much research as possible prior to deciding on this purchase. www.tonmo.com is the best place for information.

http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/cuttlefishcare.php is a good article.

Although the artical states 200 gallons is neccessary, otopets quoted 125 as minimum.

My experience has found that when young up until 6 months, a 55 was more then enough room. After this, I had it transfered to a 90 gallon tank which it lived until 8-9 months where it died of mysterious circumstances (My guess was skimmer malfunction). It was 7 inches or so at this time.

Although I have not personally kept one to full adulthood, A close friend raised officianalis young to a mature age(from octopets) in a 135 rather successfully.

There are many differences with this species then Sepia bandensis, which is occasionally available in the US. Ive kept both species

-Officianalis get much larger. Adults can be over a foot.
-Officianalis enjoy cooler temperatures.
-Officianalis is much more personable that Bandensis (Main reason why I prefer this species)
-More brilliant and dramatic color changing patterns.

Basic Requirements:
-Large tank required for adults. At around 8 months they will require a 125 or higher.
-Cooler temperatures preffered.
-Young require live food until 2-3 months you can ween them onto dried/dead. (The bay area has much free live foods or very cheap)

Ok the fun part...Here are some random videos.

One of my older ones as an adolescent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Xp2OK-cxE

Foudn on You-tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGF1uDeBDWM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-DusaSVHmM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9lC7U37Wjo

Please only serious inquieries only. This is a very unique opportunity. They are not only one of the most mesmerizing animals, but they are so personable that you can definitely develop a strong attachment to them.
Old 09/28/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

I'm interested, but in those numbers. I'm in the bay area
Old 09/29/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

I doubt he is still selling eggs. The cuttles (from that batch at least) would probably be close to 6 inches by now. Wish I had a 210; I would be very interested (if I could convince myself to do cuttles instead of a reef, or course ^^
Old 11/06/2007, 03:49 AM
Registered Member

Last edited by rhoptowit; 11/06/2007 at 04:03 AM.
Old 11/08/2007, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

whats the success rate in hatching them?