Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 06/21/2007, 11:28 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

well, after getting dinos' to return after a whole month of problems in my tank. I did a %50 WC prior to starting the 7days of darkness, after 7 full days of darkness, replaced all new T5s ( but slowly acclimated corals to light ).. then after the 7th day I did another 50% WC... made sure pH was high most of the time even with TOP off water... Not only are the DINOs gone most of the other nuisance algae too. killed off most of any hair algae.

" Charles V "
Old 06/21/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by delsol650
well, after getting dinos' to return after a whole month of problems in my tank. I did a %50 WC prior to starting the 7days of darkness, after 7 full days of darkness, replaced all new T5s ( but slowly acclimated corals to light ).. then after the 7th day I did another 50% WC... made sure pH was high most of the time even with TOP off water... Not only are the DINOs gone most of the other nuisance algae too. killed off most of any hair algae.
That's pretty drastic. I wonder if any of my SPS would survive.

Sanjay posted that he had success with using UV to fight the crud..anybody else try it?
Old 07/01/2007, 08:12 AM
Memium Prember

Do you guys dark out your refugium as well as your display tank? I'm starting a 6 day dark cycle today. Hope the corals & critters do OK.
Old 07/01/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rdmpe
Do you guys dark out your refugium as well as your display tank? I'm starting a 6 day dark cycle today. Hope the corals & critters do OK.
My refugium light is off as well as the display tank...going on 3 days now. I've been running a UV sterilizer and put high grade carbon in my Phosban reactor to really clean the water and nuke any free floating dinos. I've also used a turkey baster to blast the rocks and sand clean several times during the process to get the stuff into the water column where it can be skimmed or pass through the UV.

Good luck!
Old 07/01/2007, 05:03 PM
Memium Prember

Thanks! I'm running a UV also. I sure hope this works. I feel like it's cheating because I really want to know how I got this problem in the first place (too much pellet food?) But siphoning and water changes never made a dent in it and I can't find any water params off when I test. So I have to give this a shot.
Old 07/01/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

I think mine came from feeding Pappone. My guess is that one or more of the shellfish had this stuff in the gut and the extra nutrients just made the stuff take off.

Needless to say, no more Pappone for me!

Member of DFWMAS
Old 07/01/2007, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

I did my second dark out for four days i was not able to do a seven day dark out some of the corals did not look to good at all .
I have no Dinos so far but i'm sure they be back .
I cut back my MH to five hours a day with the PC on for 9 hours .
So far no problems .
I really don't know how my Dinos explode in my tank at first the only thing i did before the dinos explode i use K/A elements for a month.
I don't know if that had anything to do with it but so far i'm good to keep the dinos in low levels .
Old 07/04/2007, 09:20 PM
Memium Prember

Well, I'm at the end of day 4. I put the actinics on for about 10 minutes just to make sure the fish got a decent meal and to check out the corals. Everything seems OK so far...
Old 07/05/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

I started to develop a few spots on the sand after the second day with the lights back on. I've been siphoning off what I see and it seems to be keeping it under control, for now.

Member of DFWMAS
Old 07/05/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Are you guys keeping ph high during the black out? If so how high?
Old 07/06/2007, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

Last time around, I tried to keep it up to 8.4 during the day and at least 8.0 at night. The only way I was able to raise the levels that high in my tank was to use a kalkwasser slurry twice a day (2 tsp. of kalk powder mixed in 1 liter of RO/DI water added all at once). This time, I didn't bother as using the slurry tends to calcify pumps and such rather quickly, causing them to seize.

Member of DFWMAS
Old 07/06/2007, 11:33 AM
Memium Prember

I'm keeping mine at 8.2, not all that high.
Old 07/06/2007, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

I had no luck with high PH at all because was impassible to keep it at 8.5 /8.6 my home is completely closed up all year around so my C02 is very high in the house.
I never had dinos for 13 years in this tank with the PH at 7.9 during the night and 8.17 when the light are on... you tell me .
I 'm able to keep them in check with five hours 250W 14K MH and nine hours with 192W PC 50/50 so far .
Soon as i go over that time frame with the lights they start to grow very fast.
Old 07/07/2007, 10:31 AM
Memium Prember

I had low PH issues until I ran an air line from my skimmer to outside of the house. That has helped my PH stay at about 8.15 or higher. But I typically dose kalk to keep it at 8.20 or higher. Daytime it reaches up to about 8.35.

Here's my tank for the last 6 days LOL

I took the towels off this morning and let the actinics come back on. So do you guys ramp the main lights up slowly over a few days? I was thinking of starting the halides off with a 2 hour cycle then 3 or 4 hours tomorrow then back to my normal 7 hours...
Old 07/08/2007, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

That's classic! I ran 3 hours of halides the first day, then ramped up to 5 the next day. I'm up to 6 hours now and still seeing a little dino here and there, but siphon off as much as I can get to every day. I think that the lights out really kicked the stuff back and the UV is keeping it from spreading more.

At least I can enjoy my tank again...for now.

Member of DFWMAS
Old 07/09/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

I'm on day 5 of blackout. Turning on fishroom light (60w incandescent) only to lightly feed fish and to check on things for 10 min a couple of times a day. I am still seeing air bubbles on one small area near the top by the overflow. I blow them off each day and have 1 micron socks on the drains. I haven't seen any snot for a couple of days. I was just in the fishroom and realized that the 4" exhaust fan lets daylight in and is directly in line with where I am seeing the air bubbles. I have covered up the daylight opening and will be interested top see if there are bubbles tomorrow.
Old 07/15/2007, 02:53 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

I just finished battling the 2nd time the dinos came back.

Due to : Too many new frags added to tank within a short period of time ( didn't give system a chance to catch up to change ).

A couple of fish deaths in which the dead fish was not able to be retrieved out of the tank ( fish killing other fish )

RODI filters went bad- Replaced all new filters but sanitized the RODI system with bleach prior to adding new filters.

Cure: Did 1 50% WC prior to 7 full days of darkness and maintaining high pH. then another 50% WC after the 7 days of darkenss. During the 7 days only turned on atinics for less than 10 mins to feed fish, just enough food that it gets consumed right away. Most of my SPS especially my LE's were held by a friend in his tank while the 7 day process went on. I am now slowly adding my SPS frags back but enough and slowly to let the system catch up with the extra bio load. I also placed some carbon and phosphate scrubers to aid.

" Charles V "
Old 07/15/2007, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

I hope it will work for you.........I did the second total black out for only four days my sps was not doing to good after four days of black out . I have no one to keep my SPS around here .
Any way so far i have seen some small dinos bubbles about a week a go when my light period was 8 hours a day for the MH .
I cut the MH down to 5 hours a day and i have not see any dinos or any bad effects from any of my corals with this short photo period .
I will keep the PC on for 8 Hours and the MH for 5 hours for now and see the outcome of this in a month .
I don't know i'm getting frustrated by this after all this years it just does not stop any more..... all down hill for the whole year now. i hope i can see a light in the end of the tunnel soon
Old 09/05/2007, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

After my total black out for four day only took the dinos about a month to take over the tank again.
I do nothing now the dinos kill all my sps corals and one clam.
I lost one fish and all my new snails not many about ten of them die.
Now I do nothing.... I now have all LPS corals and two SPS and one clam and all my fish .
I took the calcium Reactor out and now I use two part with a dosing pump it keep the PH higher but so far nothing is helping i have more dinos than corals in the tank .
Is nothing grown at all now for months .
I just waiting to see if they will eventually kill them self from not having anything to feed on.
I'm not doing any water changes or anything to the tank I keep all my numbers where they suppose to be and let the dinos grow away I hope.
I just check my PO4 today very low 00.7.
I still have good size Cheato growing in the refuge .
I let you all know if the dinos die out on there own if they not ..I will take the tank down in the spring .

Last edited by Zoom; 09/05/2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09/05/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

I fought them for over a year. The only way I got rid of them was to nuke the tank. I took all my rock out, cleaned them in freshwater, put them in a rubbermaid container filled with new SW, put the top on the rubbermaid and let sit for 3 weeks. Put fish in another rubbermaid container with new SW and ran skimmer. I used biogaurd on the fish container. I then pour 3 caps of clorox in my main display and ran the tank for 3 days. It was a real thrill to see all those little B@#$%ds turn white and start melting away. Once I could not see anymore Dinos I drained the tank and filled with freshwater. I ran freshwater for 3 more days. I then added new sw back to tank. Added back my rocks, and eventually fish. I know what your thinking I have corals that need light. Well so did I. I put my clams and corals in a 5 gal eclipse tank and used stock equipment for the time the was sterilizing. I hope this helps.