Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/23/2005, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

oh, i forget to mention, i added 43ml of part B of b-ionic to TRY to bring my cal up to 430. i don't think it will work though.
Old 07/23/2005, 06:21 PM
Reef Chemist

Personally, I suspect that you are trying to over manage the system. Many test kits are not that accurate, and trying to micromanage the systym with inaccurate test kits is worse than not measuring at all.

I'd pick a dose of B-ionic, always dose equal parts, and just relax and not focus so much on trying to hit an exact target.
Old 07/23/2005, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

i think there is always a possibility that the test kit is inaccurate but the chance is low because it's not that it always shows the same number (or close that a certain number). it has registered higher and lower number so it seems like it's working.

anyway, i am just tried of adding 10ml in the morning and 10ml in the evening. it's kind of labor intensive.

i want to bring the number higher so i have more coraline grow. i can say that my tank has the least coraline of any tank in 5+ months. i mean there is virtually no coraline whatsoever. i have never seen a tank with so little coraline. corals wise, i think they are happy especially the clam and the porite. the monti cap, however, shows almost no grow.
Old 07/24/2005, 12:50 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by dzhuo
I have a 10G nano. it's been running for about 4 months now. i have a derasa clam, a couple small frags of monti cap, a christmas tree worm, some shroom, a small frag of yellow leather coral and two alveopora.
Just my opinion but I think you sould be looking at upgrading. Heavy consumers of Calcium like the Derassa and the Monis do not belong in a 10 gal Tank. Seems to me the consumption relative to the tank size is so fast that you will be swinging the level unless you find a way to dose continuously.
Old 07/24/2005, 02:19 AM
Registered Member

yes this seems like the only logical conclusion. the corals sucks up all the cal/alk so fast that i won't even able to supplement it fast enough. otherwise, i really don't know where is all the alk/cal went to. besides that, i do see a lot of growth from the clam and the porite coral. the monti cap is also growing but not as fast. i forget to mention that i also have a fuge will a lot of chaeto. this is another heavy consumer of alk/cal. as far as upgrade is concern, i am planning for it. i want to go for 100g. slowly, it will become a reality. thanks!
Old 07/24/2005, 06:08 AM
Reef Chemist

I agree that upgrading to a CaCO3/CO2 reactor would be a good plan, although I'm not convinced that much of the "imbalance" issue isn't just testing noise.
Old 07/24/2005, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

it's pretty "difficult" to have testing noise for all several months with different kinds of testing kits right? anyhow, i am just going to do the same thing for another month or two and see what happen. like you said, i am just going to enjoy the tank and not worry about the numbers. the corals seem to be happy after all. thanks!
Old 07/25/2005, 02:14 AM
Registered Member

well i recently went into a spell of low calcium, after seeing halimeda growing out the wazoo and coraline algae covering the back wall, i tested... 300ppm!?!? ahh no!.... so i used my aquadose with a super concentrated solution of turbo calcium (calcium chloride) about 3-4 table spoons 1 quoart of water, and about 1/8 cup of vinager (helps to keep the calcium insolution) and dripped it into the tank. Now my Ca is at 450ppm, and i have no trouble maintaining that.

What i learned from this experience is thazt calcium can drop dramitically if you skrew with the ionic balance of your system, (adding buffer solution in excess), these two part additave make me wonder, azre we dumping more into our tank that the ionic balance can handle? I would recommend anyone having a calcium problem, after raising their ALK shouldn use this stuff, it worked for me, and i had no real side effects
Old 07/25/2005, 06:23 AM
Reef Chemist

it's pretty "difficult" to have testing noise for all several months with different kinds of testing kits right?

Why? You are assuming that all kits work properly unelss there is something wrong with them. I think that if you took the same water sample on many different days with the same kits, you'd get a fair range of results.