Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 05/09/2005, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

there should be a label on the bag. being in canada you should be able to get all these products really cheap since you have alot of snow and ice. you can get all info you need from the dead sea works website also.
Old 08/03/2005, 01:00 AM
Premium Member

Robthorn,

Any new information to report on the source for hexahydrate?

Life is too short to learn everything from experience.
Old 08/03/2005, 06:37 AM
Registered Member

no I haven't had to order any since I got a huge amount. I will be selling my share of magnesium though it is around 15 lb or so. I am getting out of the hobby. the source is posted in this thread somewhere
Old 08/03/2005, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

Sent you a PM

Old 11/26/2005, 03:16 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

anyone figure out a place to get this stuff yet???

i want the real stuff that Gregg and Randy got..anyone??

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 11/27/2005, 01:31 AM
Premium Member

It was easiest just to order a bucket from Custom Aquatic for $100

Old 11/27/2005, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robthorn
gotcha randy thank you for all your help now my turn to return the favor to you and AL at www.harveysalt.com I talk to him and he is more than willing to ship 1 50lb bag or a hundred whatever you want. it cost me $39 and some change shipped to my house near tampa florida. he seems like a real good guy with alot of knowledge about the products he sells. he also carries the pelladow calcium chloride in 50lb bags and is more than happy to ship it to you at least in the united states.
I asked for his permission to post his name for single bag orders and he was more than happy to give it.
I ordered 1 bag today 30lb. is spoken for if anyone in my area needs any let me know and we can work something out
thanks again randy
why would you pay $100 when you could have read this thread and just ordered 50lb from this link ?
as far as the real stuff that randy got if you check the manufacturers own specs the pellets are cleaner and more pure.
Old 11/27/2005, 08:13 AM
Premium Member

I ordered through Harvey Salt and saved a bunch compared to $100

Robthorn - didn't you have someone in the Tampa area that was carrying the stuff?

Paul
Old 11/27/2005, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

yes I believe if you look into this thread you will find them also if not I can look another place I am not allowed to post here on rc for it.
Old 11/27/2005, 08:56 AM
Reef Chemist

Just to be clear, RC wouldn't prevent you from posting anything except a place you have a commercial interest in, but the company itself may prefer you didn't. PM's might be a good way to deal with such issues.
Old 11/27/2005, 10:34 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

someon should just order a pallet and distrubute it!

Randy - how hard would it be to keep it from getting water logged if someone had a pallet? would it keep in the bitter cold of up north (South Dakota) or would that cause problems w/ moisture

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/27/2005, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

it is made for de icing and the bag I received was pretty thick. as long as you don't puncture it you should be good.
randy my buddy owns the other website which has no intentions of ever making money and he made me a moderator just because so since I am never going to make money off of it and I mentioned it before I was kicked off rc. so there is no commercial interest but it still matters. it is another reef forum though I guess it's still competition.
Old 11/27/2005, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

lunchbucket it would cost twice as much to do what you suggested since I don't think the per bag cost would be much cheaper than $20 and the shipping from place to place is not going to change much if any at all so why not just take the link other people have taken and order yourself some and save yourself a headache of worrying about it anymore
Old 11/27/2005, 11:10 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

the link in this thread? i didn't think that was the SAME stuff. i know people thought it was but it wasn't proven it was the same grade

pm me about it will you. we'll keep conversations that could get us in trouble in PM's

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/27/2005, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

sorry if you misunderstood my friend doesn't sell the magnesium or calcium he runs a forum so the magnesium and calcium we shouldn't get in trouble for since it doesn't benefit us or go against rc.
harvey salt is the ones that carry the magnesium and calcium. it is not exactly the same as what randy got because if I remember correctly he got it as flake and I bought pellets. it is from the same manufacturer named dead sea works out of isreal. there website states an analysis of each product and from what I could gather the pellets seem to be more pure.
you can still pm if you want I don't mind at all I just can't give the other site not even sure I can in pm if you ask for it. not sure who's watching
Old 11/27/2005, 11:41 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

LOL pm's are PRIVATE for that reason. we should be able to talk about whatever we want

i thought that harveysalt site was what you were tlaking about. i didn't think you got a WHOLE analysis on the product and Randy couldn't comment on it for sure. or am i just confused?

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/27/2005, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

I only got the analysis from the manufacturers website. I am sure it is not perfect but I have been using it for a long time and so have other people from this thread I assume. I do not know of anyone actually testing it outside of the manufacturer.
Old 11/27/2005, 12:11 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

didn't Randy state something about it might not have the same quality as the stuff he ordered??? i know we haven't said a definate yes or no...but i wish we could have a full analysis from the manufacturer

i realize many people ahve used it for quite a while...but a lot of people used Oceanic salt before they decided they hated it or it was causing problems too. sorry i'm just being leary of anything not made for my reef.

Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 11/27/2005, 12:32 PM
Flow Guru

You could always check out my thread here about magnesium.

I still have some left, along with kalk and calcium.
Old 11/27/2005, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

As far as Calcium. I go to my local concrete plant and they give me 5 gallon buckets full of Liquid Calcium right out of a food grade 1000 gallon tank. :-)