Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

fish in your prop/frag tanks?

just wondering if you keep any fish in your prop tanks? if you do what do you have in there?
Old 01/07/2008, 08:54 AM
Pingy Pingy!

Halichoeres Leucoxanthus / Halichoeres Chrysus (yellow coris wrasse).

(right side)
Old 01/07/2008, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

I don't have any but I'm seriously considering adding one. I have 100s of Mysid shrimp swimming around during the day, Bistleworms come out at all hours and pods are everywhere. Each time I pick up even the smallest frag I've got pods crawling all over my hand. I actually try and pick them up and put them back but its hard to do without crushing them. It's amazing how much life there will be without and fish to prey on them.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:50 PM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewkw
I don't have any but I'm seriously considering adding one. I have 100s of Mysid shrimp swimming around during the day, Bistleworms come out at all hours and pods are everywhere. Each time I pick up even the smallest frag I've got pods crawling all over my hand. I actually try and pick them up and put them back but its hard to do without crushing them. It's amazing how much life there will be without and fish to prey on them.
What kinds of corals are you propogating? If you have LPS in there they will make snacks out of the mysis
Old 01/08/2008, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCTewks
What kinds of corals are you propogating? If you have LPS in there they will make snacks out of the mysis
LPS and Zoas, acans are big wimps though the other night I was checking on them since I woke up in the middle of the night and I found tons of pods crawling over them. They didn't catch any, although I'm sure they do catch some of the mysis. Maybe they're lazy since I target feed them 6-7 times a week.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:11 AM
DIY Junkie

You'd thimk they'd get something...maybe they have some sort of deal worked out
Old 01/09/2008, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

i always wonder if my acans would catch a pod or 2... i always see pods around them.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:07 PM
Premium Member

Jay, I have scopas tangs in my prop system for algae control...The clowns and cardinals just for kicks...