Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/06/2007, 10:13 PM
Phantom monkey

Bye Randy!
Thanks for everything you've contributed to the hobby.
I'll not forget how your articles & presentation on alkalinity changed my whole perception of the goings on in my tank. Thank for explaining the complicated material in an easy to grasp manner.
Old 03/06/2007, 10:14 PM
Mouth Pipetting

. . . Wow! . . . Thanks!
Old 03/06/2007, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the help hope to see you post now and again Good Luck and have fun

Mark

Mark
Old 03/07/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

aw dang! you'll surely be missed, Randy!

hope we'd see you around again, and thanks so much for your help. (and most importantly, for all the information you gave to reefers.)

godspeed!

Less is more, more or less. :p
Old 03/07/2007, 06:45 AM
lift it up tallways

What about my low alkalinity? And where do I buy pickling lime??!?

Randy, you've turned this hobby on it's ear. I made the trip to Boston to see you speak last year, and it was eye-opening. Self-proclaimed experts come and go, but you will be missed greatly as a true pioneer of reef keeping. After 8 years of school, I don't think I've cited any works as much as yours.

Best of luck in all of your endeavours.

-Rob
Old 03/07/2007, 08:20 AM
Reef Chemist

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone. I really appreciate it.

My plan with respect to RK is to finish off the beginners reef chemistry series (3 more articles, I expect, for the April, May, and June issues), then take a break over the summer, and then decide in the fall what to do going forward.

I do plan to remain in the hobby and to keep my tanks going! Maybe even attend some local reef meetings.

Good luck and Happy Reefing, everyone.
Old 03/07/2007, 11:00 AM
Member of SEA-T

i cant believe it took me 2 days to hear this sad news! Randy this hobby would not be the same if it was not for you!! i do not think i speak for only myself with that either. i have learned so much from your articles, and info on here. but, i can understand needing a break from things. i really hope that you do consider hanging around some after the summer. you the person that i trust with my water's chemistry. i cant begin the say thanks enough for the time, money, loss of creatures, hair loss from stress, and throwing of heavy items you have saved me from! do what you need to do with your life, and be proud of the work you have done here! just please keep in touch ! and THANK YOU!!
Old 03/07/2007, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for all your efforts Randy. I'll miss being humbled by your annual reefkeeping chemistry test.
Old 03/07/2007, 11:05 AM
Mortar Target

I hope that whatever it is you decide to do, you get there in a red sports car!! Thank you for all of your time and sharing your knowledge with us laypeople.

As they say in the Navy, "Fair winds and following seas."
Old 03/07/2007, 11:16 AM
Moved out

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
Randy! What can I say? You've been single handedly one of the largest assets to the hobby. Fortunately, with the road you paved for new aquarists' successes, you can look back and see that the road is now a highway filled with eager minds. Whatever you do, please don't be a stranger.
DITTO!!!! I'm also very sad to see you go. You have ALWAYS been there for all of us with our chemistry related questions. I've never once read a post laced with anything with knowledge, skillful guidance, patience and respect. You will definatley be missed by all of us. I for one can tell you I probably would have bagged this hobby a long time ago if it wasn't for you.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.
Take care our friend,
Chris
Old 03/07/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Randy, do you plan to contribute occassionally? Your calcium/alkalinity supplement recipe has been a HUGE money saver to many of us, freeing up funds to use elsewhere in the tank.
It would be great if you came up with some other kind of necessary supplement as well, like maybe a trace element/vitamin-type additive?
Old 03/07/2007, 01:38 PM
Moved out

Quote:
Originally posted by Crit21
Randy, do you plan to contribute occassionally? Your calcium/alkalinity supplement recipe has been a HUGE money saver to many of us, freeing up funds to use elsewhere in the tank.
It would be great if you came up with some other kind of necessary supplement as well, like maybe a trace element/vitamin-type additive?
Actually Randy I was thinking it would be nice if you could develope a recipie for a time-released all-in-one capsule that we could just plop in the tank 1x a year that would keep our supplementation requirements in check. Could you do that before you go please?
Old 03/07/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Randy-
I've been messing up this hobby for only six months, and you've already been a huge help. I'm sure that those you have trained and educated will help me mess it up for years and years to come...thanks for your help and I'll do my best not to kill anything without you...

Tim
Old 03/07/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member.

Randy,

Wow , I do want to say thanks for the help you provided me in the past about a year ago. It helped me alot and educated me as well, your articles are great and very helpful. I wish you MUCH luck in the future with whatever direction you may choose. Glad to see that your staying in the hobby and still finishing the articles you have started. GL in your future and have a great time.

Mike
Old 03/07/2007, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

Randy,

You need one more post. You can't leave with only 52,999. Just one more!
Old 03/07/2007, 08:28 PM
AEFW Survivor

Randy,

Sorry to see you go. Do you feel like your reading your epitaph? If you get the bug, ever think about publishing a Reef Chemistry text? Thanks for all of the help!

Best Wishes.
Old 03/07/2007, 10:19 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by IndyReefMan
Randy,

You need one more post. You can't leave with only 52,999. Just one more!
Yes Randy, One more! One More! (Encore)
Old 03/07/2007, 11:16 PM
my reef

encore
brown plate
pink with white tip table
pink monti branch
Old 03/08/2007, 03:58 AM
reef obsessed

I can't say enough to thank you for all you done for this wonderful hobby of ours. My little reef and I thank you.

Here's to you big guy!

In the words of the master... HAPPY REEFING!
Old 03/08/2007, 04:10 AM
TRC Leader

Randy, I just found out about your departure.

I'm not sure what I feel at the moment. I think I'm just stunned. RC and RHF just go hand in hand so nicely. I do hope whatever you do will bring you some joy and excitement, and I thank you for the many articles you've left with us to refer to as often as necessary.

Old 03/08/2007, 08:34 AM
Reef Chemist

OK, one post for the road.

Thanks, guys.
Old 03/08/2007, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

We are going to miss U. Thanks for all the help you have provided us in the past.
Old 03/08/2007, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all your help in the past. Especially in you 2 part additives. Now I am helping others here at work fix their problems...

You will be missed and thank you for all the hard work and dedication you put forth Randy. Any time you are in Myrtle Beach, please drop us a line so we can buy you a beer.
Old 03/08/2007, 09:43 AM
Team RC Member

Thank you Randy for all your time and for your wonderful articles! I wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

Best regards,
Kevin
Old 03/08/2007, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

I was amazed that someone of your caliber was always right there to answer our questions. You are a great model for all of us to emulate in our own lives. It is all about the connections you make and you have made many here.

Enjoy!