Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/06/2006, 03:23 PM
Reef Chemist

Yes, I saw some comments about nitrate in Kent salt recently, but I'm not sure what to make of it.
Old 04/06/2006, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

They put the Oceanic salt in the Kent bucket..
Old 04/07/2006, 05:44 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, newbie, I thought the same thing. A fellow reefer still uses Oceanic and refuses to change depite some serious algae problems.
What do you all think I should do, change to a different brand of salt? I still have a whole bucket left of the NEW Kent salt that has nitrates.
I thought of changing to IO but doesnt that lack higher concenrations of things like Cal. alk. and magnesium? Why don't people use Reef Crystals? Isn't that IO for reefs?
Anyone have the measurements of these concentrations in those salt mixes? It would really help me make an informed decision if I'm going to change salt mixes.
Thanks
Old 04/07/2006, 08:20 AM
Reef Chemist

If you do not have elevated nitrate in the tank water, having a little in the water change water is not going to hurt much, IMO.
Old 04/07/2006, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

I do agree having a litttle in the change water and top off is not going to hurt too much, but it seams that as soon as I switched to kent salt that my nitrates in the tank started to rise. ( not a coinsideance). It bothers me because the nitrates in the tank water were almost undetectable. Every time I did a water change it would go up.
Any word on the cal and alk levels in IO and Reef Crystals salt?
Old 04/08/2006, 06:51 AM
Reef Chemist

IO usually runs around 360 ppm calcium and 4 meq/L (11 dKH) alkalinity. Not sure on Reef Crystals. I use IO with a boost of Dowflake for calcium and MAG Flake for magnesium.
Old 04/08/2006, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Thanks again, Randy. That's pretty much what I was looking for for the IO. But, what about Reef crystals isn't it IO but with more concentrated levels of Cal, Alk, Mag etc..?
Why do alot of reefers use IO just to turn around and add the things Reef crystals should already have in it? I must say I'm a litttle confused on this, Randy.
Old 04/09/2006, 07:39 AM
Reef Chemist

Values that I've seen for Reef Crystals do not seem to sugggest that it is IO plus extra calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. I'm not sure what it is now. Long ago, IO had much lower alkalinity than today.
Old 04/09/2006, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

What values have you seen?
Old 04/09/2006, 01:20 PM
Reef Chemist

I would do a search on Reef Crystals. I've seen many posts over the years, and they are not consistently much higher than IO, as I recall.

this test from a while ago shows calcium and magnesium to not be much different, and the IO alkalinity (about 4 meq/L or 11 dKH) is now above that old value for Reef Crystals.

The Composition Of Several Synthetic Seawater Mixes
http://web.archive.org/web/200012150.../1/default.asp
Old 04/09/2006, 01:44 PM
Team RC Member

Randy, this is what I got late last year.

All at 1.025

IO - 340 cal - 13 dkh - 1030 mag
RC - 525 cal - 12 dkh - 1290 mag

I also picked up a tad of Po4 in the RC about 0.5 Dont remember if this was just noise but definately a hint of blue where the IO was clear.
Old 04/09/2006, 06:13 PM
Reef Chemist

Thanks.
Old 04/09/2006, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Thanks to both of you!
The Cal in the RC does seam a little high. But, other than that and the Po4 It would be perfect. I wander if it has changed since last year? I just don't feel like doing a couple of extra steps to mix salt up.
why can't someone just make a salt mix with cal@400-420, alk@9-12 and mag @like 1350 or something?
I guess thats asking too much,huh!
Old 04/10/2006, 06:57 AM
Reef Chemist

Everyone has a slightly different preference, but I agree that would be a fine mix.
Old 04/11/2006, 08:12 AM
Premium Member

Hello All,

I have been reading all of the threads regarding the Kent salt issues and I thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I am not making excuses for the company - however some names have been thrown around these threads and I only think it is fair that everyone have all the facts. Kent Marine is no longer operated by its founder, and has been under direction from new ownership for quite some time. Nearly all of the people that were once a part of the company have left or are in the process of doing so. Those that remain are not able to speak freely about any aspect of the remaining business. The recent problem with the salt was known to ownership personnel in a position to make decisions, however they apparently chose to allow the product to remain in the marketplace rather than recall it. The remaining Kent technical support staff had no choice in the matter and did what they were instructed to do.

I know this doesn't bring back all of the work and care that people have put into their tanks - no one likes finding out that a simple water change just created a huge problem or or even death to corals and fish.

Like I said - just my 2 cents.
Old 04/11/2006, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by explorer364
Hello All,

I have been reading all of the threads regarding the Kent salt issues and I thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I am not making excuses for the company - however some names have been thrown around these threads and I only think it is fair that everyone have all the facts. Kent Marine is no longer operated by its founder, and has been under direction from new ownership for quite some time. Nearly all of the people that were once a part of the company have left or are in the process of doing so. Those that remain are not able to speak freely about any aspect of the remaining business. The recent problem with the salt was known to ownership personnel in a position to make decisions, however they apparently chose to allow the product to remain in the marketplace rather than recall it. The remaining Kent technical support staff had no choice in the matter and did what they were instructed to do.

I know this doesn't bring back all of the work and care that people have put into their tanks - no one likes finding out that a simple water change just created a huge problem or or even death to corals and fish.

Like I said - just my 2 cents.
Hey, since you work for Dept. of Justice, how about getting your
FTC friend's to take a look...
Old 04/11/2006, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Wow,

Could it be that I was right about Kent!

smcnally says,

You seem to really believe there is some conspiracy going on with Kent. I don't get it...Why would Kent even bother asking for people to send the salt in if they don't intend to test it? If this was some sort of conspiracy, they would just say "We tested many samples sent to us and we believe you did indeed get a bad batch...no need to send us anything". Umpire, Why is this subject the only thing you have posted about here on RC? I find that a bit perplexing. Mike, kill this thread already...
Are we not beating a dead horse here?

Why is this the only thing I have posted on RC?

Because I have a LFS to run. I don't seem to have or make the extra time to post here or anywhere else. But since I have found myself right in the middle of this Kent "conspiracy" I have made the time to speak out about what I think is Kent's neglagent behavior in this case. IMO, criminal. Does that bother you that I am so bulldogish with this Kent problem that has killed many marine animals? Why? Why does it bother you that I am trying to stand up and speak about what Kent has done? Yes, I have said many things, over and over and over. And that is a problem, how? At the beginning, everyone might think I was nuts. Now, so many months later, does everyone still think I am nuts? Maybe. You have that right.

And why would Mike want to kill this thread? So that readers will not know what Kent has done? I think not. I suspect there is a whole lot more to be said here before this Kent screwup is all over. The more we dig, I suspect we are far from kicking a dead horse.

James Tucker
Old 04/11/2006, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Also, I have sent an email to Kent. It is lengthy, (imagine that). It will be interesting to see if they respond and how, if they do.

James
Old 04/11/2006, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

smcmally post is from the other thread.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...76#post7156176

James
Old 04/11/2006, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

In all of this mess, where is doccarbon? I think I may not be able to see the trees for the forest in front of me! Is doccarbon and his tank OK now?

DOCCARBON, are you there? I do hope all is well!

Sincerely,

James Tucker
Old 04/12/2006, 10:28 AM
Reef Chemist

OK, this thread has about run its course for the chemistry forum. If there are further chemistry issues that folks would like to discuss, relating to the Kent salt or any other reef topic, please start a new thread.