Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

I need to Correct myself DO NOT USE SUGAR i did this after being told it was safe and it CRASHED my 10g tank thank god my 20g was rdy for fish or i would have 2 dead fish!!

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton
Old 01/05/2008, 07:25 AM
Premium Member

Uh, yeah...

Yep, the hundreds/thousands of posts on here where people do this and see results is all bull...

And even better, the Gov't is in on it as well. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...7754#id2364023

And Randy Holmes-Farley is also part of the conspiracy of us dummies.

Its a little thing we call science.

Quote:
Originally posted by george81
i dont believe people actually believe this bull crap....
Old 01/05/2008, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

I'm full of bull too...I have worked my way up to 3.5ml of vodka a day in my 33 gallon and it has slowly reduced the nitrates from 40 down to 15, hopefully still dropping. I noticed when I got up to 5.0 ml a day my leather started to stay closed so I cut it back. I substituted two pinches of sugar a day for the lower amount of vodka. No other ill effects after 1 month of dosing. Have a powerhead on the way to get more flow and have added a fuge, so hopefully once their down I can stop this. Running aqua c remora 24/7.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:08 AM
Premium Member

did you say you just threw in 100 lbs of live rock? that might be a problem...i'm very new, but i know that live rock has to be cured first. if it wasn't cured, all the die-off from the rocks could be throwing you way off.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Re: Uh, yeah...

Quote:
Originally posted by badpacket
Yep, the hundreds/thousands of posts on here where people do this and see results is all bull...

And even better, the Gov't is in on it as well. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...7754#id2364023

k im no genius but in reading this study wouldn't using something like Ever clear(Which is grain based) be better than vodka, considering vodka can be made from a number of things? Not to mention Ever clear is MUCH high proof so there for would stand to reason much less impurities. Just a though would love to hear everyones input on it!

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton
Old 01/05/2008, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

From the science, it appears that it is the ethanol that stimulates growth. So yes, Everclear would work much better for a couple of reasons. It might actually be better because it is purer, and though more expensive, you should need much less.

Just don't use absinthe....
Old 01/06/2008, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

Re: Uh, yeah...

Quote:
Originally posted by badpacket

yep i thank god we have all them good hearted sailors who dump thousands of gallons of vodka in the ocean...or mother nature might be in some big trouble.
my friend has aids he ate red smarties FIRST and chewed tabacco..now his is free of of aids...that means smarties and chewing tabocco must cure AIDS.
I WOULD SOONER BELIEVE ERIC BORNEMAN than a bunch of people who could no way proove the vodka actually lowered nitrates. no controlled expirments too many variables.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

like i said a bunch of BULL CRAP.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:15 AM
RC Mod

[flamealert]
Old 01/06/2008, 07:01 AM
Registered Member

I dont know about anyone else but Vodka did worked for me

nitrate is at 0
phosphate is at 0

And i am also not adding any more vodka from some days now
all the algee is gone

Coroline is growing

And i suppose everything is going right now

No livestock loss during the process

So according to me if you are struggling from nitrate problem
trying a little vodka on your tank is worth trying
Old 01/06/2008, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Just because there is no CONTROLLED experiments that make you happy, doesnt mean something is bull. Maybe it just hasnt been 100% explained yet. If alot of people do something, with similar results, then there may be something there.

To come in here and say everyone is full of bull is low rent. Get over yourself. Just read the posts and discuss them. If you disagree...state WHY you disagree.

Unless, you've done CONTROLLED experiments with conclusive evidence that it DOESNT work and WHY?
Old 01/06/2008, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

because someone who has says it doesnt work someone who has written many books and is known for his knowledge Eric Bornemans books get referred to many new reefers..read the article.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boca Kris
Just because there is no CONTROLLED experiments that make you happy, doesnt mean something is bull. Maybe it just hasnt been 100% explained yet. If alot of people do something, with similar results, then there may be something there.

To come in here and say everyone is full of bull is low rent. Get over yourself. Just read the posts and discuss them. If you disagree...state WHY you disagree.

Unless, you've done CONTROLLED experiments with conclusive evidence that it DOESNT work and WHY?
1. read the article i showed why i dont agree.
2. would you believe that red smarties and chewing tobacco cure aids? i know some one who test positive after eating red smarties and chewing some tobacco he tested negative for aids..so that must mean red smarties and chewing tobacco are the cure for aids. i know someone this happened too...so i have seen positive results from red smarties and chewing tabacco.

so how about you open you re eyes and get over yourself. like i said vodka myth is bull crap.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

i never anyone here is full of bull crap i said using vodka is bull crap...all the other efforts of these people who were fighting nitrates may have finally caught up and actually lowered them...meanwhile they dose vodka and say holy! it lowered my nitrates. I am dead sure everyone who has resorted to vodka used it as a last step..and tried many other things before vodka..all which in combination could have lowered nitrates and not the vodka...

how about you learn to read...quote where i said everyone is full of bull crap???
i said "i cant believe people believe this bull crap" and said the vodka myth is bull crap...
Old 01/06/2008, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dcs03tx
Someone call the Tang police!!!!!!
its 120 gallons theres no need for the tang police.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

instead of vodka have you tried other methods, like sulphur based denitrifiers or growin macro algae
Old 01/06/2008, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

Actually, I did little else to try to control my nitrates as I had mainly softites in my tank. I'm quite sure it was a degraded sandbed, and feeding fish to my content. I believe I had about 40+ poundes of LR, a couple of med. perculas, small-med coral beauty, several shrimp, etc.

Nothng else in my tank changed, except the addition of vodka.

again, go read the scientific article on ethanol and inceased bacterial growth, and then give a scientific reason for them to have their hypothesis disproven.

And, many other people have take a stable tank and added vodka, or sugar, and without changing other parameters seen a similar reduction in nitrates. They've also seen nitrates rise when the discontinue dosing, without addition of LR in many cases.

The science is logical
The science has been proven
The effects have been proven
The effects have been duplicated

No, you don't have to believe anything you choose not too.

However, if hundreds of people w/AIDs ate red smarties and chewed tobacco, and were tested to be free of it afterwards, the smart person would take that as quite interesting and worthy of thought and study.

Last edited by badpacket; 01/06/2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

agreed.

but, whatever. people like to instigate. who cares really. if it works for you, share you experience. if you think its crap, state why and move on....people get so excited and emotional for some reason....i kinda feel bad for them really.

im gonna let this go.

good luck on all your tanks & your drinking habits!