Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

I don't know how far you want to take it but this sem. coming up I am setting up a jawfish tank. It is a 55 gal. Just crushed coral and sand. Bout 8 in. deep. And I will get 6-8 of them in hopes of breeding them. You could try the same thing they are mouth brooders like bangaiis and it would interesting. But for just a straight up species tank my dream is an undulated trigger tank. We had one at the LFS that I used to work at and no one would buy (in part that I told everyone it would kill everything) and it was my pet at the store it was in a 40 breeder by its self and I grew it from like 2-about 4.5 inches while I worked there until someone else sold it one of the days I wasn't working there to someone with just a regular community tank. By this time it was pretty formidable and probably killed all her fish.

Something else to consider if you wanted to go very small. A species tank for one of those gresinger goby's they max out at like 1.5 inches if that and have very cool patterns on them but are pricy but the setup doesnt have to be.

Or you could do one big fuge type of tank with maybe some mangroves coming out of the top or like half full with some pipe fish. That could be a very interesting set-up. You could keep cool little inverts too. Kinda of like a planted tank for saltwater. Not many people keep those as a display.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Yellowheads will setup shop within 6 inches of another jawfish, or sometimes share burrows (especially if they are a mated pair). Also because jawfish are generally fed planktonic type foods such as cyclopeeze and frozen mysids you could keep a reef pipe or a pair of them such as bluestripes if they are trained to eat frozens.

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 01/05/2008, 03:44 PM
SPAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRTAAAAAA

tcmfish- i like the idea. alot actually! especially with a smaller tank mangroves could easily grow out the top. alright so pipefish are back in the game. i think jaw fish are out. as cool as they are i dont really want a tank with just sand in it.
thanks,
-Sam
Old 01/05/2008, 07:50 PM

as far as anglers are concerned, i know they would probably need live food at first. so i was thinking about breeding saltwater acclimated mollies? i know freshwater fish normally dont make good food for SW fish, but mollies do live in salt/brackish water....so would they work?

thanks,
-Sam
Old 01/05/2008, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

That is a debateable subject. If a fish feeds on marine foods from birth, and lives in a marine environment it would likely be healthy, right? Dunno. I'd say it'd be fine, others would argue that. I do know that mollies are great algae eaters until they get eaten, breed easily & the babies grow up with little or no need for supplementing food besides a nice thick growth of algae on the tank walls.

Dan

-Kennpachi
Old 01/05/2008, 09:14 PM

see i reason the same way. especially since the food to be given to them is just leftover stuff from when i had my reef. so wouldnt they be "gut loaded" with marine nutrients anyways? its the easiest thing i could think of to culture. they would just live in my sump until the dip net of destiny decides its their time....
Old 01/06/2008, 02:31 PM

anyone have more info on the feeders?
Old 01/06/2008, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

aquaculturestore.com

Dan

-Kennpachi
Old 01/07/2008, 03:20 AM

thanks
-Sam
Old 01/07/2008, 01:13 PM

wow thats a pretty cool site. they kind of make me want cuttles again with all those inverts for sale.... man im so indecisive...
Old 01/07/2008, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

I once kept a type of blue lobster in the front partition of my refugium/Sump.
Everyone started paying more attention to the lobsters instead of watching my tank.

Last edited by maroun.c; 01/07/2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Pipefish and seagrass.....
Old 01/07/2008, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

That lobster's pretty cool! Now I want one... You said it was a type of blue lobster..? What type was it?
Old 01/07/2008, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Don't recall what type of lobster it was. however I didn't have any fish or corals in the tank it was in so I can't say if it is reefsafe or not.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:21 AM

thats an awesome lobster!

I think im going to start a little experimenting before i set anything up. Im going to breed some mollies and maybe SW feeder shrimp first to see how many i would need to keep consistant numbers going. I would hate to set up the angler tank and have no food for the guy...
Any species of molly that produces offspring particularly quickly? I hear dalmations are pretty umm...productive...
Old 01/08/2008, 04:28 AM
Registered Member

how about a cold water tank? you could keep one or two of these guys. Ive bred them at the aquarium i work at and let me tell you, they are the cutest things ever... spiny pacific lumpsucker.
http://aslo.org/photopost/data/517/151lumpsucker.JPG
Old 01/08/2008, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

DUDE!! That little guy's awesome! Now I need to know more!
Old 01/08/2008, 02:03 PM

Thats one of the cutest ugly things i've ever seen! Where would i even get one of those?
Old 01/08/2008, 08:07 PM
Broke Reefer

I like the jawfish idea. The tank would be fun to watch with them going in and out all day. I thought about a frogfish tank before but they are not very active. very neat fish though