Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 02:56 AM
Registered Member

Gluing flex pvc and hard pvc

Im need to go to HD tomorrow and start purchasing all the plumbing equipment. What do I use to glue hard pvc? I want to stay away from the purple stuff that I see a lot of people use as it looks kind of messy when not applied carefully?

What do I use for flex pvc? Thanks for all your help
Old 12/09/2007, 07:18 AM
Registered Member

Well first off, the rain or shine glue (you call it the blue messy stuff) is the only glue you are gonna find local that works on the flex pipe. Custom Aquatic carries the clear kind for flex. Standard pvp will glue together fine with a clear pvpc cement that can be purchased at hd. If you dont want to use the blue primmer you can use acetone to prime the pipe before you glue it. Personaly I use the blue rain or shine because it works so well and with it you dont need to prime the pipe.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:21 AM
68 dead fish and counting

Ditto on the clear pvc for hard pipe. I've never glued spa-flex, so I can't chime in on that.

Just remember to:
1. lightly sand the two hard pipes in the areas to be glued. This gives the glue a better "grip" on the pipe.
2. wipe the area that you just sanded with a clean cloth to remove dust
3. coat BOTH the male and female pipe sections with the glue
4. mate the pipes and give them a 1/4 to 1/2 twist. This will smear the glue even further and give you a good coating.

I've never used the primer, and I've only had 1 joint ever have a slight leak.

If you're doing elbows and whatnot that you need to have at a particular angle, I recommend doing a dry fit, and marking both pipes with a pencil or sharpie to show the aligned position. Then when twisting in step 4 above, just twist until the two lines line up. Voila!

Apologies if you already knew all this.

P.S. Having plumbed two basement sump/refugium rooms, in retrospect I would use spa-flex whenever I could. It would've been much easier on me for all the angles/turns.
Old 12/09/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

The white flexable spa flex tubing is made to be glued with the same stuff used to do regular pvc pipe.It is also to be used in the same way as regular pvc pipe.
Old 12/09/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

there actually is a special glue for flex pvc, but i have used standard clear pvc glue, no primer, or cleaner with no problems.
Old 12/09/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

I have used the standard Glue along with the Purple primer on my flex pvc and it works perfectly.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

If you spend the $3-4 for the purple primer, you should not need to mess with sanding or anything. Just wipe clean, purple prime it, and give it 15-20 seconds before applying clear glue.
Give it 1/3 turn while inserting, and hold for 30 seconds to prevent push-out.

Its a solvent, so sanding is not necessary as primer and glue basically make that moot.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

Use the blue stuff if your doing spa flex. I just did a job with it yesterday and it works great. 5 bucks at HD for enough to last a long time.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:54 AM
Premium Member

There is also gorilla glue for pvc, no VOC's, smell, no dead brain cells, and works at lower and higher temps. Does not work wet thought I believe. Gotta find some of that stuff, glueing in the house in the winter is not too smart.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:25 AM
Premium Member

Home depot does not have spa flex (at least not around Chicago).

Go to menards. THey also have flexible PVC cement there.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

I use barb fittings to transition from hard PVC to PVC spa flex. I heat the end of the spa flex in boiling water to soften it up than slide it over the barb and apply a hose clamp.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:32 AM
Frag-a-holic

Quote:
Originally posted by laf-reef
I use barb fittings to transition from hard PVC to PVC spa flex. I heat the end of the spa flex in boiling water to soften it up than slide it over the barb and apply a hose clamp.
Like I replied in the other thread, using barbed fittings with spa flex is a waste of your inside diameter of your pipe. You are killing your flow by doing this. With Spa Flex, you can use normal PVC fittings and glue them directly in without using barbed fittings.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 01/05/2008, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandeGixxer
Like I replied in the other thread, using barbed fittings with spa flex is a waste of your inside diameter of your pipe. You are killing your flow by doing this. With Spa Flex, you can use normal PVC fittings and glue them directly in without using barbed fittings.
I totally get what your saying, but if permanantly gluing isn't an option, is the flow reduction going to be any different than slipping tubing over the barbs?
Old 01/05/2008, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

I just got done plumbing my system and used a mix of hard and flex pvc. The best way to glue it is to: clean both surfaces to be glued, coat both sides (male and female) with primer, (if you dont like the look of the purple primer you can get clear primer). Liberaly apply PVC glue to both parts, finaly push the 2 parts together while at the same time giving them a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Hold them together for at least 30 seconds. THE FLEX PVC WILL WANT TO BACK OUT, MAKE SURE YOU HOLD THEM TOGETHER WITH SOME FORCE!

I have over 50 joints and none of them leaked using this method.

Good luck
Brent
Old 01/05/2008, 10:29 AM
Frag-a-holic

If you need to be able to disconnect part of your plumbing, use unions and ball valves. These are cheap ways to add convenience to you plumbing setup.

Save a reef, trade a frag!