Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Chemical Valley Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

Chaeto huh? I could probably hook you up there.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:25 PM
Flow Master

I think it is coming along quite well. If you use the little giant pump, make sure you oil it quite frequently. Also you can put a ball valve on the input and output of the pump if you need it. You should also plumb a union on both sides of the pump to make it easier to change out and clean. You should only regulate flow with the valve on the output side. The valve on the input side is just to shut water off when you change the pump out.

Btw, I also have plenty of chaeto if you need some.
Old 01/02/2008, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Well I moved some stuff around and I'm sure I'll be adjusting it for days but here is another update pic.

Old 01/03/2008, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

I had a domino damsel in the 55 that was a bully so lets just say he didn't make the trip to the new tank so he found a new home. My GF just couldn't stand it now that we have upgraded so she got this little guy for the tank.

He is a Skunkback Pseudochromis.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:32 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

Actually, he is a Diadema Pseudochromis "Purple Backed Gramma" is the common name. And he is a nice looking little fish But be warned these guys are not peaceful at all in a reef tank and may make the damsel look nice by comparison. They can take on fish bigger than them and will devour most ornamental shrimp in the system. Of course thats a generalization not all fish go by the book at all times, just watch him.

Last edited by firefish2020; 01/05/2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Did you ever test your water parameters after the swap? I was reading a very good article on quarantining procedures and that author didn't think used water helped much. It sounds like the key is a ready to go biological filtration in which you were good to go on that.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=172
Old 01/05/2008, 04:54 PM
5 & Over Club

The tank looks really good.
Pseudos/dottybacks do have a reputation for being punks sometimes but they're a lot cuter than damsels
Quote:
Originally posted by carb850
I was reading a very good article on quarantining procedures and that author didn't think used water helped much. It sounds like the key is a ready to go biological filtration in which you were good to go on that.
True. Beneficial bacteria live in the rock, sand and even on the tank walls but not in the water column. The 125-150 pounds of cured live rock probably were the key to no or a mild cycle.

Rock cooking it's what curing use to be.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Yeah he has much more color then the damsel and I'll keep an eye on him. So far he has been a model tank mate. I also added a pair of False Percs. Tank is doing very good and all fish and corals are out and in full glory. I think the move went so well becaue all the rock had been in my other tank for about a year. There is a scratch in the glass that is bothering me. Is there anything I can do about it or do I just have to live with it? Also my GF has her eye on a Lunare Wrasse what do you guys think about them?
Old 01/05/2008, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coralreefer
Beneficial bacteria live in the rock, sand and even on the tank walls but not in the water column. The 125-150 pounds of cured live rock probably were the key to no or a mild cycle.
I would agree with this. I think the benefit to using old water is that the parameters (mainly ph) are typically inline or at least what the inhabitants are use to.

Lunar wrasses are neat fish but as most wrasses very active. Alot of the time the constant pacing can disturb your other fish. Sometimes they can get agressive and there is a good chance it will pick on some of your mobile inverts.

You could do it with caution if it's a fish you are very interested in. If its not something that you REALLY want i would skip it.

Last edited by MattG; 01/05/2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

A friend of mine son had a Lunare in his 90G. His sons girlfriend thought it looked pretty and purchased it for him. The fish was very aggressive and I think it killed several fish. I think he said "that $50 fish cost us over $500"!
Old 01/05/2008, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Lets take a different approach to this then. Is there a list or something I can look at as far as getting fish that are good for a reef community. My GF keeps picking fish that are not good for our tank and I thought if would be better if we just had say a “safe list”. If not maybe this is something we could start as a group.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:09 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

We used to have one at the shop (lunar) that was so mean it would attack anyone who tried to put there fingers in the tank, that fish was so much fun.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

but I can see why his GF wants one they are beautiful fish.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by firefish2020
We used to have one at the shop (lunar) that was so mean it would attack anyone who tried to put there fingers in the tank, that fish was so much fun.
Only you would think that Ron.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:40 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

yehhhh
Old 01/05/2008, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

BTW I have a black leopard wrasse that has been a model citizen in my tank.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

Ok guys here is my fish list as of now.

2 Green Chromis... would like to add at least 1 more
2 False Perc Clowns
2 Bangaii Cardinals
1 Purpleback Pseudochromis
1 Peperment Shrimp
Unknown amout of crabs and snails

Can you guys help me comeup with a list of sutable fish for my setup? I'll start the list with...

1 Yellow Tang.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Yellow Tang
Blue Tang
Kole Yellow Eye Tang

Reef Safe Wrasse's

Foxface

Midas Blenny

Yellowhead Jawfish

Diamond Watchman Goby

Those are just some of the fish I like. I believe the Foxface is reef safe but I'm not 100% certain of that.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Well I guess its time for another update! Last nite I gutted an old light fixture and retro fitted some reflectors from ahsupply.com and I just want to say WOW! They make all the difference in getting the light into the tank. So I added a couple 55 watt actinice lamps and it really changed the look of the tank. I still don't have everything I need to build the MH setup so thats still on hold. We also added a Yellow Tang and a Haitian Anemone.
Here is a few new pics.

Old 01/10/2008, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Hey spinner: on the moon lights, I Got mine off e-bay. I think they were 10 bulbs for about 10 bucks. I can show you how to fix them and I have several power supplies. I put about 14 on my 55 and it seems to be just about right. Lot cheaper this way just have to use a timer or you can split them and that seems to work better. The back comes on first then my front. looks cool and best of all CHEAP.