Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

acclimating zoanthids

i just got a nice little frag pack online from reefscavangers and now that they are all drip acclimated and ready to be put in the tank i know i should start by putting them all the way down at the bottom to adjust to my light but how long should they stay there?? is it even neccesary??
Old 12/28/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

personally I don't light acclimate but I always start any coral off from the floor up and move'em where I want it the following day. Probably the proper way to do it is this:

Quote:
Acclimation Tip: in summary of this section on acclimating coral, it is my recommendation that all newly imported coral, and coral from previously unknown levels of light, be placed in systems at a depth no less than 20" under higher output fluorescents and metal halide lamps (assuming the intensity of such light is appropriate after the animal overcomes stresses). Acclimation to the final level of display can be approached gradually in increments of 4-6" weekly or less often depending on coral behavior. Dedicated aquarists may wish to build or buy simple, weighted building blocks (like cubes made of acrylic) that can be used temporarily in an open space of the aquarium. Small blocks or shelves will help to acclimate a coral without concern in a well-stocked display for finding space along the rockscape incrementally in a path to the final position. Another interesting technique is to place a stack of coarse plastic window screen pieces above the new coral to filter light (perhaps on the aquarium cover) if a coral is to be placed immediately in its final position. Enough sheets for each day of the two to three week acclimation period will sit above the new animal. One sheet of screen is removed each day until all are gone, providing a gradual and filtered period of adjustment for the new coral. One can imagine many other ingenious ways of attenuating light during the critical acclimation period of a new reef invertebrate. Raising the light canopy for a new coral is not recommended with other established coral in residence. Indeed, after an extraordinary trip from a coral farm or wild reef to take up residence in a beautiful display, light shock should not be an issue to the empathetic and well-informed reef aquarist.
taken from - http://www.wetwebmedia.com/acclimcoralslight.htm

I would also email reefscavangers and ask them what intensity lights they came from.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:06 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Not such a thing for zoos.
they are bullet proof.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:35 PM
tiger eel

like gasman say they are bullet proof,be careful were u place then they grow like crazy
Old 12/29/2007, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

Sweet shot Cubano!!
Old 12/29/2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

ok sounds like ill be setting all the frags where i want them when the lights turn on this afternoon
Old 12/29/2007, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

I give my new zoos an iodine dip as they are prone to fungus.
Old 12/29/2007, 03:40 PM
tiger eel

thanks bernie
illal flow is very important for zoos and like prideprops say give u zoos a dip they are prone to fungus and Zoa eating nudies u don`t want that ......
Old 12/29/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

i've always started zoas at the bottom of the tank for a few weeks before placing them where i want them to be