Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Red Sea Max Clams ?

Does anyone keep a clam or clams in a red sea max because i would like to buy a RSM but really only if i can sucessfully keep clams in there, if you have a red sea max with clams can i see some pics please

thanks in advance
Old 12/08/2007, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

i'm not familiar with the tank but if you could tell us the size of the tank, what clams you wanted to keep and the lighting, we could probably give you and answer.
Old 12/08/2007, 08:31 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Here's my clam, in my RSM in October...clam is in the middle of the right side of the pic...

Old 12/09/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

It's a 34 gallon system w/ 2x55w T5's (1 actinic/1 10,000k bulb). I'm not sure if I would keep Croceas or Maximas, but maybe you can tell him better a4twenty.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:14 AM
Premium Member

Red Sea Calls them T5's but they are Power Compacts! You can prolly get away with a clam if you keep it higher in the tank
Old 12/11/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

I think most clam-ists will agree that no amount of PCs will keep a clam happy for too long. MH or T5 is a must IMO.

-Samuel Clemens
Old 12/14/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

I would agree. PC just won't work for long term success with clams. Metal halide is the best but t5 will work too.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

there not power compacts because the pc just burn up right away with the t5 ballast in there!
Old 12/15/2007, 09:23 AM
w3rd

the t5s on the rsm do not have individual reflectors i believe
Old 12/15/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

try finding a PC for aquariums thats not T5, it is a regular PC light, to make it sound better they call it T5, its not lying though... But it is a regular T5 PC.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:15 AM
Geek

I own a red sea max and concur - they are PC lights in the diameter of T5 - t5 is just a size of a bulb (t8, t12 etc you can find at chain pet stores for other aquarium uses and are all differently sized)

I keep softies and LPS very well in my red sea and *some* sps that are easy like montipora digitata.. but are kind of ugly under the light combo the RSM has. Personally wouldn't attempt a clam. Keep them in my 55g with a teklight t5 fixture with the individual reflectors. Higher light corals definitely do better under those lights than the red sea lights with my limited amateur experiments
Old 12/19/2007, 01:32 AM
Keeper of the clams!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisstie
I own a red sea max and concur - they are PC lights in the diameter of T5 - t5 is just a size of a bulb (t8, t12 etc you can find at chain pet stores for other aquarium uses and are all differently sized)
PC lighting and standard t5 ho lighting are two totally different things. the bulb dia might be almost the same but thier output is different.

T5 ho puts alot more light and it penetrates deeper.

If sps's can't be kept in a tank this small with the stock lighting then I beleve there are no clams that can be kept in it either.

In a larger tank you may be successfull keeping squamosa or derasa but these clams would quickly outgrow this tank.

That should fix it everything right???