Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12/27/2007, 03:54 AM
Premium Member

Two Little Fishes phostban 150, what a POS

here is a note I just sent to reefgeek, I think it covers it all:

As i write this I can not stop shaking my head. I am stunned in utter dismay. In my 30 years of keeping aquaria, I have never come across a more deficient product. I am so disappointed, I have heard so many nice things about reefgeek and had high hopes that there was someone in the mail order industry that actually cared about the hobbyist. That can not possibly be true of a company that would put a phosban 150 in a box and mail it to a customer. The sad part about all this is that I had received this as a gift from my father for Christmas and will be putting it in the trash

If you are wondering why I hesitate to mention this product by name in the same sentence as skilter, seaclone and deep six it is because those produces so outclass this one that it would be an insult to they're manufactures.

The design and manufacture of this product is so shameful that it is an embarrassment to he industry. For starters, the "sponges" are not dense enough to be used for a mesh mod, in fact the pours in the mesh supplied are so big that palletized GAC can get through, and GFO falls right through like water through a strainer. Next, the input and output elbows leak with the slightest pressure, combine that with the fact that they only articulate 90 degrees, the weight of the pump has the tendency to pull the elbow off the reactor, one might think, this is all well and good, I will just use this product in the sump, however the label is made of paper and god knows what sort of glue they used to affix it.

So what they have successfully designed was a product that without heavy modification, if used as directed, will spill tank water all over your floor and dump GFO allover your sump

incidentally, I own the Kent marine version of this unit which I am very happy with

regards
mark