Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

Lyretail Wrasse

Does anyone have any experience with this fish ? My research tells me it is not reef safe but also says it will not eat live coral ?

AM- 0
Rite- 0
Rate- 0
Phos- 0
PH- 8.0
SG- 1.026
Cal- 420
KH- 8.0 dKH
Alk- 2.51 meg/L
Mag- 1350
Temp-78-80
Old 01/08/2008, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

last time I checked most if not all anthias are reef safe. I have no idea why a lyretail anthias would be listed as not reef safe.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:00 AM
Premium Member

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...pcatid=346&N=0

AM- 0
Rite- 0
Rate- 0
Phos- 0
PH- 8.0
SG- 1.026
Cal- 420
KH- 8.0 dKH
Alk- 2.51 meg/L
Mag- 1350
Temp-78-80
Old 01/09/2008, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

My apologies, I misread your post and thought you wrote lyretail anthias, not lyretail wrasse. the lyretail wrasse will eat your crabs and even some snails if they are bite size. That is why he would be considered not reef safe. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

You will get a ton more results by looking for a lunare wrasse instead of lyretail. Not sure why LA goes by lyretail...
Old 01/09/2008, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

my had brother one of these and from his experience id say... stay away

my brothers wrasse would not let any new swimming fish into the tank. he practicly tore a niger trigger to shreds. as soon as it hit the water it attacked it forcing it into the corner where it kept bighting it nonstop. we got the trigger out but it couldnt recover and died that night.

he was impossble to catch so we couldnt get him out of the tank either. smart enough to keep out of all the traps we made and to fast for a net.

i dont know if he just got a particulary mean 1 but my brother now has a personal grudge against wrases.

he was however a very interesting fish to watch. very active, nice colours, and loved shiny things . he was also an amazingly hardy fish and outlived everything else.

if u do get 1 id advise u to add it to ur tank last
Old 01/10/2008, 03:16 AM
Registered Member

I had one in a 100G and it got like 6"+ good lookin fish but mean as you know what.

fast and mean a bad combo for any reef.
JMO
Cope
Fishies.. 2 perc. clowns @ 1.5", cromis 1 @ 1", PJ cardinal 2 @ 1.5", Blue hippo tang 1@ 1.5", Star goby 1 @ 2.5", Yellow watchmen goby 1 @ 1.5", Fire fish 1 @ 2.5" Inverts. CB large, Cleaner shrimp 1 @ 2.5", Peppermint shrimp 5 @ 1" to 2", Naz snails 10, A few large snails
Old 01/10/2008, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

I have one and they are bold(Especially at eating time). He is small now and actually gets harrassed but absolutely stunning colors and he hasn't grown into his awsome adult colors.They are CORAL safe not SHRIMP safe. I have softys in my tank and other than sitting on them everyonce in a while he never eats them. I highly recommend this fish for a coral not shellfish aggressive tank. Oh plus I paid $10 for him. They come cheap.