Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Did you create the full room view from scratch or use a bunch of models? I'm looking to put my whole system on there, but I'm still looking for some decent models, pvc pipes, etc.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

flush edges

On the plywood platform on which your aquarium sits, is the front edge flush with the base? It looks like it might have an over lap. I was wondering why that is? Thanks.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ4417
Did you create the full room view from scratch or use a bunch of models?
I created everything myself except for the Samsung TV and sofa.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Re: flush edges

Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon Cassidy
On the plywood platform on which your aquarium sits, is the front edge flush with the base? It looks like it might have an over lap. I was wondering why that is? Thanks.
It overlaps just for looks.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

fair enough. Once I read through again I saw what you did with the trim. Thanks.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

Dustin, the rock work looks good. I posed a link to your LR sale out on our clubs site.

Brandon, did you get the skimmer?
Old 12/18/2007, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

Canarella,
No. Not yet. No one has posted a response. I will get back on today to try again. I did a little more research on them though and found that at least it is a very good skimmer. I just have to work out the details of how it works on my tank. Thanks.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cannarella
Dustin, the rock work looks good. I posed a link to your LR sale out on our clubs site.
Thanks! It actually sold in less than 12 hours.

All said & done, I still can't believe how well my live rock situation worked out. I bought what was advertised on Craigslist as 150lbs of rock for $250. In actuality, the guy sold me ~225lbs, including some huge 30-40lb pieces, as well as some large tonga branch, for $250. I guess it's safe to assume he didn't have a clue how much rock he was selling. That's only $1.11 per pound for 2.5yr old well established, coralline encrusted live rock, not to mention 7 free hairy mushrooms and a dozen snails!

So in the end, I paid $250 for rock, filled my tank completely full with all the best pieces, and sold the rest for $300. Nice little profit!

Tonight I will setup my auto-top off kit from www.aquahub.com to get ready for a 10-day Christmas vacation. Pictures to follow, as always.

Take care folks-
Dustin

Last edited by RedEDGE2k1; 12/18/2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12/18/2007, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

are u adding more fish to your tank and has your flame started picking at the corals
Old 12/18/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

I almost bought a yellow tang today but decided to wait until I get back in town from the holidays. As for the flame angel, I only have button polyps, GSP, and some hairy mushrooms in the tank now, and I haven't noticed him bothering anything.

I think after the new year I'm going to pick up a bunch of SPS frags...we'll see how that goes.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Outstanding

First off let me ask if your girl has a sister......

Second, I read every word in this thread and must say you have inspired me to begin again........

This is truly a top notch DIY effort!

I'm curious if water temp continues to be an issue...when my 180 was running, the back of the stand and canopy were open and I still needed two 6" fans over the tank and one over the sump some days.
I notice your lights are 12" above the water.....do you think the lights are the source of your heat issue or pumps etc.

On a tangent....did you accomplish your goal of blocking light leakage around seams and openings...not sure I can tell from the pics.

Once again........You Da' Man Red!
Old 12/19/2007, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

ok what are u using for flow
Old 12/19/2007, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Eheim 1262 for a return and a vortech. So I guess that's around 4000 g/hr if the Vortech is at 100%.

Should be enough for a 90 Gal.

Red, how has the Vortech been in your set-up? Realize it's only been running a month or so but...
Reading the equipment forum, there are a few folks who are not so happy with there pumps. Noisy, hot, rusting etc.. You?
Old 12/19/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedEDGE2k1
I really expected this step to be one of the easiest, but I was wrong. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.

So....I'm trying to plumb my Eheim 1262 return pump to the bulkheads that came with the Perfecto "Corner-flo" tank's overflow kit.

The bulkheads are "slip x thread", meaning the standpipe slips into the top, and the drain/return connections are meant to be screwed onto the bulkhead threads underneath the tank.

The bulkheads are black, but there is no label identifying them as either Sch 40 or Sch 80. How do I figure out what they are?

From measuring as well as trial-fitting different sized threaded pipe at Home Depot, the bulkhead threads appear to be 1-1/4". However, using my hands only, I cannot get PVC pipe to thread onto the bulkhead more than 3/4 of a turn or so before the connection is incredibly tight and won't go any further. Am I doing something wrong? Is it supposed to be this tight so quickly? I can hand-tighten typical PVC connections almost half-way up the threads before it starts to get tight...that's definitely not the case with the bulkheads. If I use a wrench to make them tighter, I'm worried I might strip the bulkhead threads or worse, crack the $400 aquarium under stress.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm beginning to think it might be easier and more convenient to just use a 1-1/4" flexible coupling with clamps, to connect the bulkheads to rigid 1-1/4" pipe.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

You obviously found a way, but I just used small PVC and slipped into the bulk head. I doesn't leak a drop even without primer and glue. Anyway. Just thought I'd add that for fun if nothing else.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I figured it out -- that's how it's meant to connect (slip). I used PVC cement on mine, so it's permanent, but it's worth the peace of mind not worrying about leaks.

Speaking of leaks -- my Coralife UV sterilizer is leaking. I turned it off for the time being and will work on it after the holidays. I'm glad I caught it before leaving home for 10 days!
Old 12/19/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedEDGE2k1
Yeah I figured it out -- that's how it's meant to connect (slip). I used PVC cement on mine, so it's permanent, but it's worth the peace of mind not worrying about leaks.

Speaking of leaks -- my Coralife UV sterilizer is leaking. I turned it off for the time being and will work on it after the holidays. I'm glad I caught it before leaving home for 10 days!
Good deal. I didnt glue mine so I could take the tank off with out a pipe in the way. Its right under the sump so if it does manage to leak it will at least be in the sum until I can fix it.

Does your UV sterilizer really make much differece? I have been debating myself in and out of getting one, but I never really found any reviews for them.
Old 12/20/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Had my first overflow last night -- of the RODI reservoir, not the 90g tank

I turned it on, forgot about it, and woke up this morning to ~20 gallons of water on the floor. That's always fun.

I'm going to install a bulkhead at the top of the Rubbermaid container, and plumb it to our laundry room drain behind the washing machine. Then if I forget to turn off the RO/DI unit, the excess water will drain out of the container and into the drain. That will prevent this from happening again.
Old 12/20/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

HA I did the same thing with mine yesterday, luckily mine stays in the garage and washed out under the door.
Old 12/20/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Now you are a reefer. Welcome to the club. It is unnerving to hear that water dripping noise in the middle of the night of first thing when you wake up.
Old 12/20/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
It is unnerving to hear that water dripping noise in the middle of the night of first thing when you wake up.
You're telling me....especially when I just plumbed my auto top-off system the night before. I woke up this morning and my first thought was "I hope that freakin thing worked" and as I walked down the stairs to the living room all I could hear was ....drip....drip....drip...

Needless to say, the auto top-off worked flawlessly, but my laundry room was soaked from the RO water.

Could have been worse! Which makes me wonder....do you guys have any links to pictures/websites/threads from "tank disasters," such as a 500g tank cracking a pane and flooding a house? That would make for an interesting read, in a weird kinda way.
Old 12/20/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

Suggestion for the ro reservoir bucket. Instead of installing a bulkhead and wasting ro water, install a float valve. Just a simple float stuck through the side of the bucket will shutthe water off when it's full and retop it as you pull from the bucket.

http://www.kentmarine.com/waterfilte...valve-kits.htm
Old 12/20/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

you are going to be thinking about the tank the whole time you are gone...
Old 12/20/2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

Install both and never have to worry. That way if the float fails it will still just go to the drain. Oh and by the way great build here it is inspiring me to get started on my own build.
Old 12/20/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
you are going to be thinking about the tank the whole time you are gone...
Yeah I know...I already have anxiety and I haven't even left yet.

I will have plenty of top-off water for 10 days, and there is a backup float switch in case the first fails...

I bought an automatic fish feeder from Wal-Mart that will feed flakes every 12 hours...

The Aquacontroller will keep the temp in check, and shut off the metal halides if neccessary...

I'm going to have friends check the tank every other day, and feed frozen food....

...but still, I know I'm going to worry about it pretty much nonstop until I get back. My only real complaint about the reef hobby is the fact that it takes away your ability to completely enjoy going out of town.
Old 12/20/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Just get your buds to send you pics.