Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > New Jersey Reefer's Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/23/2007, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Pics of My Uncle's 190 Gallon Tank (Pic Intensive)

My uncle has a custom 190. I was over the house last month and shot some photos (date in pics wrong). Still working on getting the camera to take better pics, but here's what I got. Bit blue.

He has been in the saltwater game since the 70's when keeping a softie was a big deal, and the corals you got died in less than a month and a clarion angel was about $50 and no one knew anything about lighting. Here he is 30 years later with his 190.

Figured I'd through a couple pics of his little reef. Hope you enjoy.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 01/24/2007, 08:29 AM
New Jersey Reefers Club

I'll be the first to say "Wow"! Beautiful. I can only hope that one day my tank will look like that. (sans softies)
I would imagine he runs a ton of carbon, correct?

Join the New Revolution: Howard 100 & 101

Hey, detritus happens.
Old 01/24/2007, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

man thats a nice mix reef , how big is that clam ,and im pretty sure your getting some of those acros in your system right .
Old 01/24/2007, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

hey Joe road trip for some frags?

nice tank would love to see it in person hint hint.

sm
Old 01/25/2007, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

My uncle's setup consists of running 2 chemipure that he changes monthly, 3 175W 10K and 4 110W actinic, 2 Seio 620's, a Mag 5 on the return, a Turbo Floater skimmer, no refugium, MRC calcium reactor, no UV, and uses a tap water purifier for his water.

My uncle believes in simplicity. His corals are none of the brand names. He buys corals for their color and look. He is like a shelter for his friends. Any coral they buy and do not want or are dying, he takes and grows out. He is very anal when it comes to maintainence though. Every Thursday night he is changing his water, salt creep is no where on the tank and so on. When I see his tank, I realize sometimes its the simple that work the best.

The clam is over 14" long. He can't pickup the clam with one hand, he needs two. It weighs over 25 lbs. He had it since it was 2" long. He has glass lids on the top because when the clam slams itself shut it blows water out the top into the canopy and he has had bulbs crack on him.

Stan- I told him about your tank too and he wants me to take him to see yours too.

Got frags of stuff ready for me sm?
Old 01/25/2007, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

That is some tank! I also like his simplistic approach. Wish it would work for me

Marcelo -
Old 01/25/2007, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Joe frags for you soon.

where does your uncle live, bring him by to see my setup

sm
Old 01/25/2007, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Simple works for me. I don't even have a skimmer on my tank. It can be done as long as you get to know your tank and can see the signs of a problem arising. I do, however, have a low bio-load that helps me keep the system skimmerless.

BTW, Very nice tank!!

Roy
Old 01/26/2007, 12:12 PM
New Jersey Reefers Club

Very nice Joe.

How's your new tank doing??

I think we're all bozos on this bus!
Old 01/27/2007, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Tank doing good, suddenly got a bit of brown algae goring on rock.

The frags need to grow out to give the reef some shape. Not its nothing but slim pieces taking up space.