Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

I Need Some Help

I have a 30 gallon reef...with 2 clowns, a 6-line wrasse and a blenny. I had a cleaner shrimp, but it died. It was getting bugged by the wrasse and my salinity was 1.025...and read that they prefer 1.027-28. Anyway...I want to get a coral banded shrimp...are they mean as they say...most are telling me not to get them. Would I be best to get a sally lite foot crab or something? I dont want to get another cleaner shrimp right now. I really like the coral banded, but everyone seems to frown on them...

josh
Old 01/07/2008, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

My experience is that coral banded shrimps are not aggressive. The two I have now (in separate tanks) hide most of the time and don't show any aggression towards my fish or other shrimp.

I've seen coral banded shrimps get a little defensive if another shrimp or fish gets too close, but it seems to be mostly a show (waving the claws around), without getting physical.

Since your wrasse was bugging your cleaner shrimp, its possible it will also bug a coral banded shrimp. If you buy a a coral banded shrimp I would look for a larger one, and keep your wrasse well fed.

I generally keep my tanks salinity at 1.025 and don't have any problem keeping shrimps. Any sudden changes in salinity or temperature are more likely to be a problem.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

I haven't been able to keep aquaria for the last few years due to my work schedule, but am giving thought to starting a tank again. Anyhow, when I did keep tanks, I almost always had a pair of BCS in them, and did not find them overly aggressive, except towards other ornamental shrimp.
If there was an injured fish in the tank they would sometimes go after them, but otherwise they were fairly well behaved IME. I should add if you decide to try a pair, make sure you have a true pair as two shrimps of the same sex will usually fight to the death, unless you have a very large tank.
I would be cautious when adding them as you have a sixline wrasse and I have had the "lined" wrasses go after BCS on occassion.
The only other caution I can think of off hand is that BCS sometimes are sold at REALLY jumbo size - those might be a bit more aggressive - I would reccommend a safer size say 2 inches, as they are apt to be less problematic.
I should add all the above is MY experience, others may have had differing experiences, either way good luck to you!!