Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 02/22/2006, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

Upgrade lights on 6 gal nano?

I'm tempted to upgrade my lights to either the 36W or the 54W lights being sold on nanocustoms.com. I like to keep softies mostly, but maybe with this much light I would get into something else. Question is - is 54W overkill for a softie tank? Will I give my xenias, leathers, and zoos too much light?

Anybody have any experience with nanocustoms.com?

Roger
Old 02/22/2006, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

^^bump
Old 02/22/2006, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Depends on what type of light, sounds like power compact. I would say that it is not too much, but possibly unnessecary. Why would you pay more for lights if your current lights are doing fine, unless you want to keep harder corals? But the stronger light should not do anything harmful as long as you properly acclimate your corals to it.
Old 02/22/2006, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

My current corals are doing okay, but perhaps they could do better with more lighting. I'm also hoping that the increased lighting helps make all areas othe tank usable for corals (eg. ricordia doesn't have to be at the top)

Also, I called nanocustoms today and talked to the guy, and he was saying that one of the biggest reasons people upgrade is to get a greater range of spectrum.
Old 02/22/2006, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

i have no idea what your current lighting is...but 54 watts seems to me like a lot of light for softies...but the nanocustoms guy is right that it will increase your range.

jamie

"I started laughing till it didnt hurt"- The Good Life
Old 02/22/2006, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

I have 18W 50/50 PC.
Old 02/22/2006, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

I just ordered a 32watt 7100k blue/10000k white(50/50) from marine depot for $21.95 for my 7 gal. nano.
Old 02/22/2006, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

if you ask me...go 54 its worth it. I know you will find a frag of LPS that you must have...this way you can

"I started laughing till it didnt hurt"- The Good Life