Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

Need a CO2 Regulator

I'm setting up my CA reactor and it appears that my old regulator is on the fritz. I simply can not keep a constant bubble count.

What's the brand name of a "work horse" regulator. One that will last me for years to come?

I don't need a bubble counter. I don't even need a solenoid. "IF" I decide to run the solenoid I could remove that from my current regulator. The reactor has a built in bubble counter chamber. I think my problem is either in the needle valve or the main body of the regulator.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

Buy a Fountain machine regulator, they are heavy duty and very good, you can probably get one at

Broward Nelson Fountain
241 Sw 21st Ter
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312

(954) 584-7330
Old 01/04/2008, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

I'll give them a call but I doubt that they would have the needle valve. I don't think there's a need for them in the beverage industry. Is there?
Old 01/05/2008, 12:06 AM
Premium Member

Most aquarium regulators will come with the crappy needle valve anyway, you are better off buying a needle valve separately.
I thought you had a computer to control the Reactor?if so, you don't really need a precise needle valve
Old 01/05/2008, 12:11 AM
Premium Member

Have computer - not hooked up into my system. Haven't gone that route yet.

So where do you pick up a quality needle valve?
Old 01/05/2008, 12:22 AM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Yea I second Rogger's idea of having the computer control it. I know it's just another thing to be tied to the controller, but that's the idea.

It's good to have a consistent regulator/needle valve, as well as a computer controlling the CO2, so you've got relative double redundancy.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:45 AM
Premium Member

Check this out

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~TZ1111.html

I have this one

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~CO3151.html
Old 01/05/2008, 05:46 AM
Premium Member

Someone else has suggested this one. He has one and says he agrees with the ad. Can't beat the 3 yr warranty either.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/AQUARI...ST_p/co2-1.htm
Old 01/05/2008, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

I know someone who is selling a regulator. Here's the link, in case you are interested:

http://www.pbmas.org/board/index.php?showtopic=1865

I don't know much about calcium reactors, but I know the guy selling this one, and he's always got top of the line stuff.

Torry-
President, Palm Beach Marine Aquarium Society
Old 01/05/2008, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coralfragger101
Someone else has suggested this one. He has one and says he agrees with the ad. Can't beat the 3 yr warranty either.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/AQUARI...ST_p/co2-1.htm
I was on the market for one and did a lot of research this one came on top, I should receive it early this week but the best advise is save on the regulator and invest in a controller.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

Whether I go for a controller or not, I still need a new regulator.

I still need some convincing on the controller aspect though. I thought about a controller awhile back. I did (and still do) like the idea of being able to hook it up to a computer and do some monitoring and having "some" control over things while you are away.

Other than that I think it would be simply putting things that I already have into one package.

My lighting doesn't need controlled. The Solaris are programmable and I wouldn't need to run that through a controller.
I have an OM 4-way and I wouldn't need a wave action option for power heads through a controller.
I already have a PH meter as well as a PH controller. Combine these with a solenoid and a CA reactor is controlled. I don't see a controller doing anything that these wouldn't do except maybe to have some redundancy as a safeguard.

Like I said before, it appears to me that if I buy a controller that it will simply replace a couple of items that I already have as stand alone equipment unless I'm missing something here.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Anyone know how to get in touch with Torry? I PM'd him here yesterday but he still hasn't read it.

I registered on the PB forum but not sure how long it takes to get approved so I can't post or PM over there yet.

I need to check out that regulator.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

i have a regulator that i can get rid of if ur interested
Old 01/06/2008, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

PM sent.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

I have this aquamedic regulator as a spare and really dont need it.

Aquamedic

PM me if you are interested
Old 01/07/2008, 07:19 PM
Premium Member

Hi, Chuck...I just got your PM and responded. Sorry for the delay, but I've been setting up a 150 gallon FOWLR, so there hasn't been much time for the internet!

Oh, and btw...I'm a her, not a him. Yes, one of those rare reefer-chicks...we aren't a myth, I swear!

I passed your info along to Greg and hopefully he'll get in touch with you soon!

Torry

Torry-
President, Palm Beach Marine Aquarium Society
Old 01/07/2008, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TorryRx

Oh, and btw...I'm a her, not a him. Yes, one of those rare reefer-chicks...we aren't a myth, I swear!

I passed your info along to Greg and hopefully he'll get in touch with you soon!

Torry
Oops - sorry.....
I responded to your PM. I already bit the bullet and ordered a new one.