Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/09/2007, 08:02 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Nice pics!
Old 09/10/2007, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

Just tagging along your thread, oh yea how do like the profilux, I am thinking about getting one myself for my new 150g reef tank. How is it working for you, is it easy to program? Debating on what to get, Neprtune pro or Profilux II
Old 09/10/2007, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

i love the profilux myself. once you learn the menus it is easy to program i still have no luck with the WLAN though.
Old 10/05/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

dont know what is happening lately, i have what i think is cyano but it is extremely dark brown almost black in color. and when you syphon it off it comes off in sheets. its a major pain in the butt. i have test everything i can and everything is good, flow is definitely not an issue i'm assuming its due for bulb changes. the bulbs are only 9 months old and i was planning on changing them at 10 months but i will do it early and hopefully it helps.

anyone have ideas what might cause the outbreak?
Old 10/07/2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

one of the nicest tanks posted here. great sump. do you like the hammerhead return pump so far? Looking to get one my self.
Old 10/07/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

i use a dart for the return pump. i had a hammerhead pump for my closed loop system but i removed the closed loop after a month. it was too noisy and the benefits were not that great, so after i removed it i replaced it with 3 tunze 6100s mounted on wavyseas. now that i have done that i would never go back.
Old 10/07/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Niloc

I have a 150 gal with good flow and have the same dark brown or black sheet growth. I run a SE 250w MH so I do not think it is related to the bulb. I believe mine came in on some live rock and is now spreading. I would love to hear if you find any info on it as I have not been able to.

Casey
Old 10/07/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

i still dont know what is causing it. its a pain though
Old 10/07/2007, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by niloc16
dont know what is happening lately, i have what i think is cyano but it is extremely dark brown almost black in color. and when you syphon it off it comes off in sheets. its a major pain in the butt. i have test everything i can and everything is good, flow is definitely not an issue i'm assuming its due for bulb changes. the bulbs are only 9 months old and i was planning on changing them at 10 months but i will do it early and hopefully it helps.

anyone have ideas what might cause the outbreak?
What did you test and what were the readings?
How much do you feed and how often?
What is your fish load?

This will help in figuring out what the problems are.
Old 10/07/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

nitrates unreadable.
ph 8
po4 .05 this has always read this amount
ca 1425
kh 10

i feed once a day varied stuff. one day 6 cubes frozen, another flakes, nori, etc. sometimes i feed twice a day once in am and one in pm.

i have 21 fish, 5 small to med tangs, rest are small to med fish like chromis, wrasse, anthias etc.

weekly water changed is IO, top with ro/di and it only starting to show maybe a month ago. it has been running for year
Old 10/07/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

i forgot mg is down to 1130 which i'm trying to bring up with zeomag in ca reactor.
Old 10/08/2007, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

niloc16

I just did a search for Cynobacteria and the concensus is that it's caused by too high Nitrate and or Phosphate. Try a search yourself and see if anything sticks out at you.

When I asked for your params, I just knew you would come back with high nitrate or phosphate or that you were feeding too much. There must be a reason for low test and Cyno. Something isn't adding up.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 10/09/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the advice gary, much appreciated. but i figure po4 of .05 wasnt extremely high and by reading alot of other tank journals is quite average but maybe i'm wrong. nitrates were unreadable and i checked them again last night and same thing, nothing. i'll definitely let you guys know if i figure this bugger out
Old 12/18/2007, 04:15 AM
Registered Member

well i think i may have finally kicked the dinos. dont know what 1 thing killed it but i tried alot of different things. heres a list

replaced ro/di filters twice
cleaned all pumps and redirected wavyseas
more water changes/ less water changes
replaced MH bulbs
cut feeding down to every 3 or 4th day
turned CA reactor off
tested any water associated with tank
ran lots of carbon
excessive sandbed syphoning and cleaning rocks
wet skimming
chemipure
the final draw was an 8 day blackout which killed it off finally. but the dino spread was so big that when it died off it completely polluted the tank and killed alot of corals and caused a big chain reaction of death.

but so far it has not returned. most of the corals really really browned out but now they are starting to color up again. all LPS but 2 frogspawns died. we'll see how it goes. i really hope it doesnt come back though
Old 12/18/2007, 06:39 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Yikes! That's a tough bout with dino. I've been there with serval nuisance algae, it's not a fun place to be but emerging from it can be very gratifying. Stay patient, good luck!
Old 12/19/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

i'm finally starting to enjoy looking at the tank again. i spent about 2 hours yesterday tweaking stuff and scraping coralline and what not and took some pics today. i kind of wish i had taken some pics when the dinos were rampant to compare but anyway here is a couple for ya. i know it is kind of drab right now but slowly the color is coming back

Old 12/20/2007, 03:19 AM
Premium Member

Incredible aquascaping, stunning tank!
Old 12/23/2007, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Niloc,

Super Tank. Of course, you know I've been following your thread since Day 1. You've provided great advice too. I am still taking things really, really slow (probably too slow) with my 265g. The only livestock I have are snails, (1) coral banded shrimp, (2) acropora frags, (1) galaxea & (1) frag of green star polyps I've had for almost 2 years in another tank. No fish. I did have 3 small green chromis & 1 Salfin Tang, but they died within 1 day. I don't know why, as my parameters were all great. Seems as if the acropora and others would've died. However, I have experienced an algae bloom. This came after the cyano cycle from a new tank. So, with this being said, I think you may be okay. I guess things just happens.