Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2006, 08:06 AM
Registered Member.

Yeah i am ontop of that i may also make something out of spare acrylic i have laying around. just incase and add a small power head sucking lightly from the bottom with an outlet thru the otherside with a nice prefilter sponge in there also.
Old 12/13/2006, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

keef, sounds you have a good idea on it.

i tested the flow with some flakes/pellets. i tried to achieve good glow going in, but within the chamber i wanted to make sure it was not a whirlpool.
Old 12/13/2006, 09:06 AM
Moved On

Here's a thread on snaggers, including the one I presently use. I made it in a very short period of time, with very cheap parts.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...81#post7120781
Old 12/13/2006, 09:09 AM
Moved On

My fish lay eggs on a removable rock now, but I like the snagger better, because the male does such a nice job hatching the eggs. When I harvested eggs, I always had fungus problems, and many of them died or did not hatch.
Old 12/13/2006, 09:10 AM
Moved On

Maybe I should try the egg on the rock technique again, just for grins, and see if i get a better yield.
Old 12/13/2006, 09:11 AM
Registered Member.

THANKS for the info kathy you guys are great i really appreciate all the info the guys here have given.

hopefully i can be a productive member of this forum and be as helpful later down the road
Old 12/13/2006, 10:13 AM
Registered Member.

kathy do you sit the soda bottle with the stocking over it in the container then just position the hose outside the tank and have it so the lip of the hole you cut is just below the water lvl which scoots the fish in or is the slit all the way under the water pulling the water in.?

just trying to picture it so that when i make one i know its working as it should
Old 12/13/2006, 11:12 AM
Moved On

Kathy, for the eggs on the rock technique, JL showed me how he does it, with a wooden airstone literally covering the entire thing. At first, I was shocked, but I saw the thing in action...those eggs are more than tough. Utilizing a wooden airstone, with it's fine bubbles, was key. He also put a small light off to the other end of the tank, so the hatched larvae would leave the area with the fine air bubbles.

FWIW,

Matt
Old 12/13/2006, 11:13 AM
Registered Member.

that works and it sounds like he used a limewood airstone.
Old 12/15/2006, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

bad news everyone, im down to about 50 larvae.

days 2/3.

i added instant algae to the larvae tank and quite possibly that was a mistake. i started culture of some live phyto.

this hobby definetly has its highs and lows.....
Old 12/15/2006, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

morning of day 3. no loses.
Old 12/15/2006, 08:33 AM
Moved On

For my setup, it works best if the hole is half in and half out of the water. Yes, the stocking/bottle/pump assembly is in the shoebox and the exiting water goes thru the tubing and over the side of the box and into the tank, distant from where the larvae are to be collected.
Old 12/15/2006, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Embryoguy, why do you think that the addition of the instant algae was a bad idea (other than the die-off)? IA is highly concentrated and I would imagine that it is pretty easy to add too much and quickly pollute the water quality and have a die-off. Do you think this is what happened? I am always a littel apranoid about the IA and how much I add. I think my rotifer concentrations are always on the low side as a result of this fear as I don't think I feed enough. For what it is worth I work very closely with some fo the folks at the New Enagland Aquarium and their coral aquaculture (among other creatures their caring for and breeding) and they stated that they (on their scale) only use a small amount of IA a week, something along the line of an ounce.

Jamison
Old 12/15/2006, 11:11 AM
Nemo's paying the bills

Jl is right...The wood is in.Makes a blanket of bubbles.The other breader in the area [south] uses 1/4 inch bubs.It looks like they will get knocked off the tile,but they dont.I am trying a combo of the two.the wood makes a blanket then the larger bubs clean out the small bubs that get stuck.
Old 12/15/2006, 11:15 AM
Hog Obsessed

A drop or two of IA would not hurt those clowns. Sometimes you just get some die off right after a hatch that is unexplained.

I have found adding the IA tints the water and brings the babies up off the bottom of the tank. From your picture it looked like they were hugging the bottom of the tank. Could it be your lights are to bright? Forcing them to the bottom and causing them not to feed as well.
Sounds like you got die off when they used up their yolk sacs so they may not of been feeding.
Old 12/15/2006, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

jamison/baalz

thank you for your thoughts. based one what you guys are saying, i think i added to much IA> i prob added about 1 ml full into 3 gallons of water.

baalz, i think you are correct also. day 1, i tinted a good amt with IA, and had a 7 wt pc over the 5 gallon tank. the green water caused alot of the babies to swim off the bottom and actively feed. so i was very happy of this. but i surmise as the rotifers began to consum the IA, the light became more intense. which may have contributed to there dismay. its definetly a learning lesson. what bewilders me is that there are breeders that use no gren water and have great success. i do not know how there larvae are not attractd to the glass for feedings.

either case, im going to go with live phyto for my next batch.

ive changed my lighting scheme also. the remaining 50 as of this morning appear to swim around.

my question for everyone is: should i be concerned about the uneaten rotifers? my thought was to siphon down to remove these rotifers, add fresh rotifers and than drip back fresh broodwater. if the rotifer density remains, should i not add more? so the larvae get better quality rotifers?
Old 12/15/2006, 12:31 PM
Hog Obsessed

Dim your lighting and you wouldn't even need the green water. I only use greenwater every so often. As long as you have a good rot population and can load em up thats all that really matters.

Load em up on rots, be careful not to load em up with the BBS. Thats the trick
Old 12/15/2006, 12:35 PM
Hog Obsessed

Oh I dont even usually bother with cleaning the tank or doing a change until after they morph
Old 12/15/2006, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

baalz,

so how often do typically add fresh rotifers? what about the waste from the rotifers w/o phyto? i thought they rotifers would not say nutrious, thats what i added rotifers every day and removed as much as i can from the day before.

i guess did not know how much light to add , bec i was worried
they could not even see the food. what kind of light do you use and the position from the tank?

currently i have a 24 wt bulb, clip on, mounted on the wall about 2 feet above the tank. do you leave your light on 24rs or give them a cycle?

THANK YOU very much.
Old 12/15/2006, 12:56 PM
Moved On

Embryo, FWIW I'm running greenwater..keeps the rotifers not immediately eaten nutritious...otherwise waste rotifers are empty lunchbags. I'm not using IA, but rather live phyto...doesn't rot and spoil in the tank and also has other benefits (i.e. may use up some ammonia etc..) Day 3 here and no losses.

Lighting wise, I have a 15watt 18" strip over my 10, which is currently 2/3 full.

Matt
Old 12/15/2006, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

thank you matt, i was all excited when i had 300 larvae @ day 1. and now im down to 50

i had a 7 wt pc over a 5 gallon so i didnt think it was too strong, but it seems like it may have been. i use ambient light now and they seem much happier, atleast when i find out when i get home
Old 12/16/2006, 01:24 AM
Nemo's paying the bills

I am using a combo of Live phyto in the tank.IA for enriching the rotifers only.That way I dont have to culture some much phyto.Congrats Embryoguy.
Old 12/18/2006, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

day 6.

when does everyone think they will reach meta?

Old 12/18/2006, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Kinda looks like they are there. Are they orange or is that just the way the picture came out?
Tom
Old 12/18/2006, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

no they are orange tom. the pic is exactly what they look like. i thought it would take atleast a few more days. these are not as fat as some of the others. some are so fat, they hardly can swim.