Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2006, 09:45 PM
Moved On

Very cute!

Again, more than ONE!
Old 10/18/2006, 02:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishboy42
I love the stealth heaters too, always spot-on and never a failure. I usually don't go for the high temps because I can't "keep up" with their increased metabolisms.
Matt, does increased temperature only increase metabolism or it actually help in their growth rate too?

thx
Old 10/18/2006, 06:49 AM
Moved On

Yes, in my opinion.
Old 10/18/2006, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Kathy, yes to both, or yes to growth rate?

thanks
Old 10/18/2006, 03:02 PM
Moved On

both
Old 10/18/2006, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Kathy
Old 10/18/2006, 08:32 PM
1 clown short of a circus

I agree, growth rate and metabolism are surely related
Old 10/18/2006, 11:19 PM
Moved On

Batch #2 is through metamorphasis, at least in so much as the bodies have become more "oval". My headcount was 17 this evening

The BIG NEWS - Renee FINALLY CAVED! An anonymous donor + another huge clownfish spawn, and the possibility of $2k just sitting there for the taking...well, larval tank #2 is going onto the stand tonight!!!!!!

Matt
Old 10/19/2006, 05:31 AM
Registered Member

awesome. how old are your clowns? mine are about 14 months old now. I am hoping this will be a spawning year.
Did you get them from Rod or are they wild caught?
Old 10/19/2006, 06:39 AM
Moved On

Not just sitting there. Only with skill and care can you raise that 2K$!

Congratulations on your smooth diplomacy.
Old 10/19/2006, 11:40 AM
Moved On

Kathy, thanks for the congrats. True, I have to earn that 2k+.

stykthyn - the pair is WC. We've had them for almost 1.5 years now. They're not from Rod's, and they differ from Rod's in that they don't have the black dorsal fins. My guess, and most others, is that they are the PNG Onyx variety.

Matt
Old 10/19/2006, 11:58 AM
Moved On

10-19, batch one is starting to take down Cyclopeze...especially the largest ones in the batch. Maybe by the weekend they'll all be on it?

Matt
Old 10/19/2006, 12:16 PM
Moved On

Hey Matt, I only meant to say that you have ALREADY learned the skills to raise them. It is not that easy and you have done it!

Reed Mariculture sells small quantities of Otohime A, B1, B2, C1 (sizes, smallest to largest) 3 ounces in handy bottles. $12 bucks each. This stuff grows the fish fast and healthy, and you need that with perculas, particularly. I would advise getting some. Cyclopeeze is not that nutritious.
Old 10/19/2006, 12:34 PM
Moved On

Yeah, I should go get some from the Reeds I gotta revisit that Otohime thread to get all the juicy tidbits on how to best utilize the stuff. Of course, I do have a ton of other foods like Formula 1 & 2 pellets at my disposal too.

Matt
Old 10/19/2006, 02:02 PM
Moved On

Actually, BTW, I took at look at the analysis of Cyclopeze - http://www.cyclop-eeze.com/product_i.../page10_T1.jpg

I kinda doubt Otohime even comes close. So I'll probably end up using Oto or something else as a bulk feed but supplement with Cyclopeeze...cuts down on costs while still delivering what the fish need!

Matt
Old 10/19/2006, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Happy new 10g !!!!!!!!!!!!! Now it will be even more interesting !

Anderson.
Old 10/20/2006, 01:00 AM
Moved On

Happy new 10 gallon, happy new spawning pair of Mandarins too! (see the mandarin thread) Thanks Anderson!

I've had more challenging AFRICAN CICHLIDS than the Percs...now that I've realized how EASY percs are to rear, I'm looking for latz Gotta generate a good income from 2 10's by next year when Renee goes to student teach..that's a big "ouch" in the finances 'cause even for the master's program, student teaching is still unpaid!

Matt
Old 10/20/2006, 07:12 AM
Moved On

trade the 10 for a 20. You will have better luck generating income.

I've recently raised ocellaris in 10s and 20s, and although all things are not equal, the fish grew faster in the 20. If you want income by next year, you will need all the help you can get raising perculas. I've heard they take longer to grow out than ocellaris.

If you are stuck with two 10s and are serious about income, may I suggest that you devote both to the perculas? One for a larvae tank and one for grow out. The first few hatches will be your learning curve, and you can then combine the survivors in the second tank. It helps to have a dedicated tank for larval rearing. Then when the big successful hatch followed by metamorphosis occurs (100s), you just keep them in the hatch tank until grown.

I also suggest that you get a larval snagger put together. The version I use is cheap and effective. You can collect more larvae with less damage to them than any other way save transferring the rock with the eggs on it. If you want to make money, you have to be efficient.

Well you didn't ask for advice, so I hope you don't mind that I'm offering some, for what it is worth. Free advice is worth the price. We all wish you a lot of good luck.
Kathy
Old 10/20/2006, 10:02 AM
Moved On

Kathy, there's no way in h e double hockey sticks that I can turn around and "upsize"...that's grounds for divorce and I'm not even married yet

I'll make the 10's work; I realize that basically I'm in for a LOT of water changes. The breeder nets are my other failsafe - if I simply have too many for a 10 they're gonna get dispersed into all the tanks, split up in breeder nets.

I also have one other option - two of my reefkeeping friends have expressed an interest in helping me rear them. 1 has an empty 30 just sitting around, another has a few 20's. I may take on some "business partners". I'm also going to hijack Renee's 6 gallon mushroom cube to rear a select group of various larvae...i.e. in a couple weeks I hope to have it filled with our first Perc batch and our first BANGAII's (he's actually still holding - whoo hooo!).

Of course, there is the "flooding the market" issue as well, which is why I'm only going to attempt 1 batch at a time vs. having everything going clownfish. I still have H. barbouri that darnit should be spawning...I gotta keep one 10 open for all the more "interesting" stuff that's going on. GBG's may get another shot if I feel like it...I *should* be able to do those if I can get the Cardinals going!

Matt
Old 10/20/2006, 11:31 AM
Moved On

A simple BTW, yesterday I started noticing solid orange first dorsal fins on the oldest batch of clowns. All the 2nd batch appear to be through meta...we lost one that I noticed, which puts us at 16.

Matt
Old 10/20/2006, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

matt,
the black dorsal is not a definitive characteristic of SI clowns. you have a very nice pair of onyx percs. in general as long as a perc has black connecting all 3 bands, i consider it an onyx. w/ or w/o a black dorsal is simply a trait some onyx have and i do not consider that a defining indicator of origin.

like kathy said, for you to raise three batches of diff species in one system is amazing. very impressive.

keep up the great work and updates.
thank you.
Old 10/20/2006, 12:00 PM
Moved On

Thanks for the info embroyguy!

Only raised 2 species...the mandarins I'm still working on

Matt
Old 10/20/2006, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Talking about moving the eggs with the rock/flowerpot, how you guys do that ? Dumb question again, I know... You take it out of the water and put it in another tank or you do everything underwater ?

Anderson.
Old 10/20/2006, 04:16 PM
Moved On

Ya know, I really don't know that one either Anderson! My pair lays on 10 lb piece of live rock, so I have to let the eggs hatch in the tank

Matt
Old 10/23/2006, 12:28 PM
Moved On

Just a quick update - batch #2 is starting with headstripes, while all the fish in batch #1 have headstripes and have grown significantly. They are now taking cyclopeze, but still obviously prefer BBS (I'm hopeing to ween them off of it soon). I'm anticipating the hatch of batch #3 tonight, and have a larval collector built - just need a light source for the intake...

That's the news.

Matt