Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/22/2006, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to but in, but this has been very useful info. I need help with a couple of ocellaris I purchased last week from aquatic warehouse in San Diego last week. They wont eat anything but BBS. I have cyclopeze wafers but they wont touch them. I am thinking of buying some frozen or freeze dried powder cyclopeze instead. I was also thinking of buying some Otohime from Reeds for them. What can you guys recommend. One fish is barely an inch the other a bit larger. I am trying to make a pair. Any links to setting up a breeder tank and would Otohime make a good food for picky dispar anthias? Thats all for now.
Old 10/23/2006, 11:37 AM
Moved On

Lots of good foods available. Try Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 flake or frozen. Frozen cyclopeeze gets a better feeding response than dried, but is pricier, however it may be that you just have to wait until they feel at home before they start gobbling down the food.
Old 10/23/2006, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

I am just surprised they would not pay much attention to the cyclopeeze wafer since I have heard so many good things about it. I also think the frozen would be best, but have not heard anyone make any distinctions or preference to either besides price. I am just looking for more options besides NHBS that are very unlikely to be refused early on before weaning them off to other flake foods. Would'nt Otohime qualify for this? Since they were likely raised on it? I am getting a sample of Otohime to try anyways, along with Tiger pods and Arctipods. I like to spoil my fish. Thanks you

Last edited by cweder; 10/23/2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10/23/2006, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

Cweder - Most likely those are my fish if they came out of the anemone bin. Here they eat oto B2 & C1, frosen CE, Sally's Omega 3 Fortified brine shrimp and small mysis like Hikari or the H2O mini mysis. I have never owned a fish that would eat the CE wafer; none, not one, zero, zip, zilch. I threw it out.

Get some frozen brine (make sure it's the Sally's Omega 3), they will inhale it Any small pellet should do the trick too. I don't feed any flake foods but the feedback I have received tells me they can be weaned to it quickly.
Old 10/23/2006, 01:45 PM
Hog Obsessed

cweder
Ive heard of this quite often from people I've sold clowns too. For some reason they may not eat for the 1st week or so. Even though they ate daily in my growouts.
Dont be surprised if they eat for you soon. Dont fret over it, they will eat soon enough.
Old 10/23/2006, 02:09 PM
Moved On

me too.
Old 10/23/2006, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Wow David M, I had a hunch they might be yours from reading here. They have excellent color. They seem to be pairing up very well so far. The larger one was looking pretty pale just from the drive home. I think the stress and pretty fast pH swing can really take it out of them. You gave me exactly what I was hoping for with your food formula, thats awesome. Thanks for sharing. Now, who sells Sally Omega 3. I am using the Spirulina enriched BS currently with a little luck, but not what I want. They love the NHBS but there a bit big for this. The cyclopeze wafer will be trashed unfortunately, Arctipods on the way. Thanks again, yours were the best looking fish in the store IMHO.
Old 10/23/2006, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Awwww shucks

AW has the Sally's brand brine shrimp. Pet Kingdom has it also.
Old 04/11/2007, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

I thought I'd bump this thread since I found a ton of useful information. And becuase I had some questions. CE= cyclopeeze?

Once you top dress do you refreeze the food, put it in the fridge, other?

What order of food should I use when feeding fry, I hear alot of different suggestions, Rots, CE, bbs, otho a, b1, c1 c2, etc etc. Whats the short version. What food should I feed first, second third, until they are sold? In your opinion, for best growth and color.

Thanks for all the great info so far.
Cheers

Last edited by Grunt; 04/11/2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04/11/2007, 02:43 PM
Hog Obsessed

I feed Otohime and do not top dress and my clowns are still very orange.
Old 04/11/2007, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

so you do rots, bbs, otho? - > ??
Old 04/11/2007, 03:26 PM
Hog Obsessed

I feed rots, bbs then Oto A, then B1, then B2-C1-C2 depending on size.

Recently I haven't fed any cyclopeeze but I do like to when they are weaning off bbs.
Old 04/11/2007, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the information Baalz.

So I need to stock up on all alot of food it seems.

Cheers
Old 04/11/2007, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Baalz
I feed Otohime and do not top dress and my clowns are still very orange.
I'm hearing more and more reports just like this
Old 04/18/2007, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

Mandarins

Following methods shown here,I successfully trained my pair of mandarins (Synchiropus splendidus) to eat bbs,then adult bs and lastly frozen Hikari mysis.With this diet the fish seem well nourished and had even spawned.
But I wanted to wean them to prepared foods,as there are reports of them talking to Formula 1 pellets.But after several months of offering it everyday before the frozen mysis is given,no pellets were taken,though the fish are attracted to them,possibly by their smell.
Today for a change,I offered Otohime C1,and the mandarins began to take them immediately,like giving corn to the chicken
Perhaps the Formula 1 was old or rancid,these fish seem to have a fine sense of smell.Mine take Hikary mysis but refuse SF Bay brand.
Anyway,a good feeding tool to keep this beautiful (and difficult)fish in prime condition.
Old 04/18/2007, 12:37 PM
10 & Over Club

Re: Mandarins

Quote:
Originally posted by Luis A M
Today for a change,I offered Otohime C1,and the mandarins began to take them immediately,like giving corn to the chicken
Very interesting

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 04/19/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

I have spent weeks trying to establish a pair of blue spotted jawfish. Finally got two healthy ones and actually had them eating Form 1 small pellets. Like an idiot I left the cover open the other night and lost one. I will try C1 with the remaining fish and get a second next chance I get.