Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 05/05/2006, 03:13 PM
Moved On

This is 1 of the most amazing threads I've ever followed mp, your dedication is unmatched I wish you all the luck in the world to see these mandarin fry to maturity.

Nice 1 <)))))<
Old 05/06/2006, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

This has got to be the hottest thread I've seen in a while. Keep up the good work and interested people like me will keep learning. Good luck in your endevors and be fruitful and multiply. Peace and BLESSINGS.

Shakara
Old 05/08/2006, 08:09 AM
Moved On

OK, I'm back, got home around 8:30 pm Sunday. RENEE did a PHENOMENAL JOB! We have at the very least 5 (FIVE) baby mandarins with eyes. At least one is doing EXTREMELY well with a big fat gut. I'm hesitant to pull any out to take pictures - So far the only larvae I've been able to locate are the ones in the kriesel! More soon!

Matt
Old 05/08/2006, 08:29 AM
Moved On

Mandarin Larvae - 96 hours (4 days) after spawning

Ok, I snagged this picture last night and was having problems posting new messages to the thread - here it is, shot around 11:50 pm 5-7-06:

MP
Old 05/08/2006, 08:51 AM
Moved On

Well, it's 5-8-06 - 8:45 AM...I can now find only 3 babies in the kriesel. I'm sticking with the feeding regiment I laid out as it *kinda* seems to be working - one of the mandarins is just chompin' away at the sides of the kriesel!

HMM...I was pretty confident yesterday, but if we keep losing larvae this may all be over real soon. I guess we still need more luck???

MP
Old 05/08/2006, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Hang in there buddy! You are still accomlishing a lot despite losing fry. Superb effort in dedication. I cannot wait to see the success rate climb with each and every spawn!

A reef just isn't for the ocean anymore.
Old 05/08/2006, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Yeah Matt, 5 days with developed eyes is a BIG step, way to go man!

I recall you said you were running your kreisel air only right? Once the fry start eating, you should really consider setting up water also. I had a HUGE hang on filter on the ten gallon, and about twice a day I would turn the water on and flush the fish bowl out with new water. Then the dirty water would get filtered in the 10g where the high flow didn't matter. I have to guess that the mortalities of fry with fat bellies has got to be a water quality thing, maybe they require incredibly pristine conditions? Are you enriching the rotifers?

At any rate, this is awesome! Keep it up, you of all people know that it gets better with every spawn
Old 05/08/2006, 12:20 PM
trying to raise cap clown

Nice thread,congrats on the success. Alot to read in one sitting, more pics please.
Old 05/08/2006, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Not sure if this will help or not. I've been watching this thread and this forum very closely for a couple of weeks now. It seems to benefit larval clownfish if you lower the salinity slightly for the first couple weeks??? maybe that would help.
Old 05/08/2006, 07:50 PM
Moved On

Well well well...7:45 PM and we still have 3 larvae in the kriesel. WHOOO HOOO!

Matt
Old 05/08/2006, 11:10 PM
Moved On

And you only need to raise one!

So far so good! We're pulling for you!
Old 05/09/2006, 12:46 AM
Moved On

Well, as of 12:45 AM on 5-9-06, I can only count 2 larvae in the Kriesel. That's roughly 60% disappearing in 24 hours...not looking good, but hey, isn't this the close of 5 days? Technically 4 days since hatching...the longest I've made it with ANY larvae is 5...

MP
Old 05/09/2006, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

My psychadelic manderins spawned last night (second time I have ever seen eggs released) - I was not fast enough to catch any of the eggs before the clowns devoured them, but this thread has given me lots of good info, and hopefully next time (they tend to spawn or atleast do the dance every 3-4 days) I will be ready, and try out my seahorse kreisel for these guys.

Good luck with the remaining two, anything more than keeping the adults alive is a feet, so keeping fry alive only 5 days is an acheivement.

Mark
Old 05/09/2006, 08:56 AM
Premium Member

2 at 5 days is still great Matt, I never would have thought my cheapo-simple kreisel setup would have an impact. Don't give up on them, their easier to take care of in smaller numbers....look at Nicole with Lad, most died within a week, but one made it all the way. My first clownfish success was the same way, all died by day 3 except one, I still have him.....

Those two are no doubt the strongest, best eating, most likely to survive of the whole batch, never forget that...and congrats again!

Jason
Old 05/09/2006, 09:28 AM
Moved On

5-9-06 - Good words of wisdom Jason! It's 9:20 AM and we still have 2 Mandarin larvae in the kriesel. The water is starting to look like a ROTIFER CULTURE though...simply tons of rotifers swimming around in there. I can't say I've seen many copepods in there; either my rotifer/copepod co-cultures are giving out (on the copepod side) or the mandarins are indeed getting all the little copepods before they grow up!

I'm leaning towards ceassation of adding in strained foods at this point considering there is so much in there, and only adding my "mandarin phyto mix" going forward for a week or so. What do you guys think?

MP
Old 05/09/2006, 09:29 AM
Moved On

Mark - GOOD LUCK! Go for it, definitely go for it! My advice would be to turn off all the pumps when the lights go out and then wait...shouldn't take too long. If they're spawning with the lights on, turn them out 30 minutes earlier maybe. While I still have the two larvae, I'm eagerly awaiting the next spawn which should be soon!

MP
Old 05/09/2006, 09:33 AM
Moved On

A couple more questions that some more experienced breeders might have input on:

1. What do you guys think about dosing with reef plus in the larval tank?

2. With the mandarin larvae still in the kriesel for now, I'm contemplating adding in the larval Apogon leptacanthus I'm expecting in a few days. Eventually the mandarins will have to come out of the kriesel, probably around settlement (if they make it) but would there be any big downside to adding in more fish larvae in the rest of the 10 gallon tank?

MP
Old 05/09/2006, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

Matt - I'd almost think about trying to remove some of the rotifers, if you get them too dense, they will foul the water pretty quickly.

My sorta-educated guesses on the questions:

1) Reef Plus probably wouldn't help the larvae much, and might cause a pH spike...use very sparingly if you do.

2) Other than stepping up the required water changes, I think it would be OK, but I'd like to hear from Dman, RSman, Edgar or the likes too.
Old 05/09/2006, 12:46 PM
Moved On

Well, it's 12:45 PM - one of the larvae seems to have escaped the kriesel and is swimming around the main tank. They got a 3 gallon water change and 5 "basters" of the mandarin phyto mix, but no new rotifers/copepods this morning. I'm going to try to gauge things again this afternoon/evening and see where we're at.

MP
Old 05/09/2006, 01:18 PM
Moved On

Mandarin "Fry" at 133 hours (5.5 days) post spawn

So, with only 2 mandarin larvae left (at least that I can find) the on in the kriesel is just kinda floating around...I thought he was dead so I sucked him out to examine at 10X and nope...it's definitely alive still. Talk about a HUGE mouth relative to body size, all bucket shaped, ready for eating!

Here's a picture as of 1:00 PM today, the adult rotifer next to him gives you some idea of scale:

I think, after seeing what the rotifer looks like next to the larvae, I'm going to continue seiving my cultures a bit longer to make sure these guys get enough tiny food...this larvae didn't look very "fat" to me.

MP
Old 05/09/2006, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Name the escape artist Houdini

Man, those guys are tiny! Great pic too BTW.

Jason

Last edited by jnowell; 05/09/2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05/09/2006, 10:29 PM
Moved On

Well, it's almost been 6 days now...about 5 days 11 hours since the eggs were laid. I was only able to find the one remaining larvae in the kriesel, and only after turning up the air to get things really moving in there - I suspect this batch is coming to an end. I don't know, take a look at this shot from 9:55 PM - he looks kinda skinny but ALSO the body shape has really changed. HMMMMMMMMM.

What do you guys think?

MP
Old 05/09/2006, 11:35 PM
Moved On

11:30 - can't find any of the larvae now Houdini has "disappeared" but he also looked like the ONE that was really getting fat and healthy. Hopefully he's finding what he needs out there in the vast expanse of a 10 gallon aquarium!

MP
Old 05/10/2006, 12:31 AM
Moved On

5-10-06 - 12:30 AM - so get this...things were looking pretty uneventful this evening until I turned the lights out 5 minutes ago. INSTANTLY the male's fins were flaired...after a minute the female raised her's up too. The male is dancing around the surface of the tank, pushing his face out of the water (I suspect that in a larger, deeper tank this would be even cooler to watch). Haven't seen this part of courtship before...curious to see how it goes...on the last 2 spawns I observed there was a lot of rising well prior to lights going out...haven't seen an actual rise yet, just the male doing a lot of dancing and the female showing some interest.

MP
Old 05/10/2006, 12:41 AM
Moved On

12:38, the male's crazy ZOOMING around the water column has subsided. It sure looks to me like this male was rising up to see if there were any willing females in the "area"...not sure how this compares to actual courtship in the wild. The female has already assumed her nocturnal coloration, so no spawn tonight. It has to happen soon though

MP