Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2003, 10:41 PM
Dad, mom and nest of eggs

Quote:
Originally posted by oama
Sexual Dichromatic, loosly translated "different colors between sexes" is a Sexual Dimorphic trait.
Are you thinking are the term Hermaphrodite? Sex changing?
Found the term, Joyce's clownfishes book comes in so handy..

protandrous hermaphroditism

Dlckwood - Amy says lots of formula one is the key
Old 12/01/2003, 10:45 PM
Team RC Member

Are the females yellow when they are juveniles? My yellow watchman goby is very pale like the females here. If I get a small yellow one can i be sure it is male? Do you think the smaller one might "change" to be male?

oceanarus,
Is that a shimp in there with the male? It doesn't look like an alpheus? Congratulations!

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 12/01/2003, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kmk2307
Are the females yellow when they are juveniles? My yellow watchman goby is very pale like the females here. If I get a small yellow one can i be sure it is male?

Thanks,
Kevin
pretty sure, yes

but like we said, we're just going on theories based on a limited amount of observations. Amy thinks the best bet is to do them like clownfish, get one that is much smaller and more vibrantly colored and then watch them closely for the next few days. I think you should know right away whether it will work or not.
Old 12/01/2003, 10:51 PM
Team RC Member

Sorry I edited with another question but it took a while to post. What kind of shimp is that in there with the male? Thanks for the info. This is something I really want to try now.

Thanks!
Kevin
Old 12/01/2003, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kmk2307
Sorry I edited with another question but it took a while to post. What kind of shimp is that in there with the male? Thanks for the info. This is something I really want to try now.

Thanks!
Kevin
Good guess, but NOPE

Although they do share a symbiosis with shrimp (don't know which one) that in the picture with the male is the nest of eggs.

Here is a closer up picture of the male with the nest that you might be able to make out a little better.

BTW, they don't have to live with a shrimp to be happy

Oh, and their nest hangs by threads from the roof of their cave.
Old 12/01/2003, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

awesome....tagging along....
Old 12/01/2003, 11:07 PM

Just another bit of info,

It took us 14 spawns and I'm sure over $300 in research (trochophores ) to get where we are.

And we are not ashamed to admit that more than a few mis-barred ocellaris were sold to help fund it

(driving home a point Amy made on another thread)
Old 12/02/2003, 12:10 AM
Vegetative Protoplasm

I hope the trochophores were irradiated!
Old 12/02/2003, 12:53 AM
Team RC Member

I could have sworn that I saw a shrimp in that first picture.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 12/02/2003, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

Tagging.
Old 12/02/2003, 03:48 AM

I figure I'm overdue for one of what Amy calls the 'school pictures'.
This one is of course the same magnification as all the others. But they have grown so much that I had to splice 2 pictures together so you can see the whole thing. Please, no laughing at my poor skills in photo editing (of course it could be the cheap software I am using). Looks like I need to get my hands on an observation microscope, as the one I have only does the real close up stuff, and they have rapidly out-grown the lowest magnification setting.
Now 12 days old and I would estimate 3-4 X growth from day one. Don't know if you'll be able to make it out in the picture but some green irridescence can be seen on the body (guessing this is a precursor to pigmentation?).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ywg day 12_small.jpg (16.7 KB, 274 views)
Old 12/04/2003, 02:34 AM
Clownfish Fanatic

What YWG is bigger, the male or the female? Maybe this will help me.
DLCKWOOD

David Lockwood
Old 12/05/2003, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

what are u using to take pictures of the babies? i assume a digital microscopy camera or something like it, i am in the market for one, i was intrested if u had any recommendations
Old 12/05/2003, 10:57 PM

It's actually an ancient microscope (much like the kind you would find in a High School) and my cheap-o digital camera.

I get the subject in view and in focus, turn on the camera and turn on the LCD screen so I can see what the camera sees, put the lens of the camera right on top of the eye-piece, and voila, I see on the screen just what I would see if I had my eye to the eye-piece. Just click the button and I have a digital microscope picture. I'm actually surprised how well the turn out considering the equipment I am using and how easy it is.

Picture of the microscope is attached.
Old 12/06/2003, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

awesome, i saw the "Digital Blue QX3 Computer Microscope" on sale at ebay.com for 50 bucks, it claims 200x, how do u feel about this product, it seems very elem.. like
Old 12/06/2003, 01:39 PM
Rare Clownfish Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by addicktz
awesome, i saw the "Digital Blue QX3 Computer Microscope" on sale at ebay.com for 50 bucks, it claims 200x, how do u feel about this product, it seems very elem.. like
I have one, and frankly it is almost impossible to get a sharp focus with. I would not buy one again.
Old 12/06/2003, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

I tried to use the QX3 just to look at rotifers. I gave up and found it to be almost completely useless. I'm in the market for an inexpensive microscope, but not sure what fits the bill.
Old 12/06/2003, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the posts, i think im gonna try oceanarus' method and see how that works out.
Old 12/10/2003, 03:46 AM

Time for another update:

Now 20 days old. Been a while since the last update since I have been trying to figure out a way to get some decent pictures of this stage of development, well maybe I'll get them on the next batch.

Shortly after the last update they started settling out on the bottom and a few of them will even cling to the glass with their pelvic fins like the adults will do on occasion. Each day more and more are hanging out on the bottom (with big fat bellies) and today there is 99% of them on the bottom (there are a few runts that are still in the upper part of the tank). They are clearly becoming a more opaque dirty-yellow color. They have been on nothing but L rotifers since last update. I think they are very close to taking newly hatched BBS, but we are going to give it a few more days just to be sure.

The next batch is hatching out as I type this

OK you all should know by now that my camera will not do pictures of anything closer than 12" to it, but I tried anyway. Attached is a picture of one of the babies that happened to be hanging out right up against the front glass. I know it is not in focus but it was the best I could get. This picture is more for being able to see what size they are now vice what they look like in detail (like I said I'll try to get photos like that with the next batch). So anyway the blur that is circled in red is right at 1/4". You'll probably also note the nice coating of algae on the bottom of the tank. Kinda nervous about scraping it since they all are setting on the bottom.

Oh, I should also mention that we have not had one loss since the last update.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im001176.jpg (19.3 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by oceanarus; 12/10/2003 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12/10/2003, 08:00 AM
High on Reefing!

Dude, I am so stoked!! Keep Up the great work..
Old 12/10/2003, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Wow, Great work guys!!! It funny how you can see its head has developed like an adult. The big jaw line. Excelent job on no losses!!! Keep it up you are an inspiration to us all!!!
Old 12/10/2003, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Okay, now the big question. Presuming that you are able to keep them going, what does one do with several hundred Yellow Watchman Gobies? Is there really that big of a market for them, or do most of them wind up getting culled at some point?
Old 12/10/2003, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Splach
Okay, now the big question. Presuming that you are able to keep them going, what does one do with several hundred Yellow Watchman Gobies? Is there really that big of a market for them, or do most of them wind up getting culled at some point?
Good Question!

Hopefully not many will have to be culled, and if they are it will because of deformaties, not because I have to many fish.

I've been thinking that I ought to get in touch with a distributor soon.

Several Hundred??? I'm thinking more like several thousand if things keep going well.
Old 12/11/2003, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Do you use live phyto cultures or instant algea to feed your rotifier cultures? Thanks for the info.

-Jonny
Old 12/11/2003, 07:24 PM

The live phyto was too much of a pain in the @** so I switched over to instant algea a few months ago. A big time saver and get a lot denser rotifer cultures using it.