Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/23/2004, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Is there anymore life left in this forum?

*bump*
Old 04/23/2004, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

Cool old thread. Wish I had room for a big breeding setup like those.
Old 04/24/2004, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

Do you actually make money whith these sistems or is it just for fun.
Old 04/24/2004, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Here is a pic of my room before all the tanks were in:

Old 04/24/2004, 02:17 PM
Moved On

those are great
Old 04/24/2004, 02:51 PM
San Francisco Skyline

Location: Pacifica, California. (15 Miles South of San Francisco)
DANG! hey all let me get some fry of those clowns
Old 04/27/2004, 01:38 AM
Registered Member

Here's mine

There was no "real" plan, just kinda happened. Therefore it's a bit of a mess. More like a mad scientist sort of setup, if you will.
This is the broodstock system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broodstock system.jpg (47.5 KB, 985 views)
Old 05/02/2004, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

I've got 2 tanks plumbed to a common sump. The right tank is a 29 gallon with a pair of Banggai cardinalfish and 3 shrimp. The left a 15 which is meant to be a growout for the banggai babies but currently has the 2 banggais that didn't pair. I'm thinking about putting a pair of seahorses in the growout tank (shouldn't hurt baby Banggais - I think). The system is cleaned by a Aqua C Remora on the 29. The 29 also has a Maxi Jet 1200 for surface agitation. Return pump is a mag 5. Return lines have ball valves past the T, so 15 can get less water back than the 29. Considering adding a small PH to the 15 for the same reason. Any feedback appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breeding setup.jpg (40.6 KB, 1504 views)
Old 05/02/2004, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

Here's a picture of the sump. LR, Chaetomorpha, and a pump in an 18 Gallon rubermaid. A smaller plastic tub with lots of drilled holes provides baffles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sump.jpg (22.6 KB, 1043 views)
Old 05/02/2005, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

i know this is a really, really old thread, and that it has been bumped up a couple of time, but it has some useful info in it.

i was just hoping some more people might put photos of their set ups, (no matter how small) i am finally ready to have a go at designing a small scale system and any more techniques/methods/designs that i may be able to "rip off" would be much appreciated.

regards

damien
Old 05/02/2005, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Now I have a couple of walls that look like this
Old 05/02/2005, 09:46 PM
1 clown short of a circus

Wow Dman, nice setup!

Well, this isn't a breeding setup, as most of my pairs are in reef tanks or other large FOWLR tanks, so those pics probably wouldn't be helpful.

There are 18 standard 10s in this system with a drilled bulkhead in the bottom. Air and water enter from rear right on each tank. I would say they would work for smaller species as broodstock tanks. For growout it would be nice to have larger tanks, but that would take more room that I didn't have... The glass lids were made by a local glass shop (minus hinges and handles), which is a great way to get exactly what you want and save some $$. I just use the tops to keep water and carpet surfers in the tanks; I know quite a few people who don't use them. Other than that, just a large skimmer and biofilter for all the messy little guys. The KISS approach is pretty much the rule for this system... I took a picture after cleaning, since they don't stay that way for long (notice bottom row )

Sorry about the picture quality though, I really had to mess it up in order to make it fit in my album. Don't mind the copper piping in the background, it's just a water heater (for people water that is )
Old 05/04/2005, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys,

gee fishboy, got yourself a few little fish there. nice and clean.

dman, sorry if you have explained this before but the grey pipe above your tanks= water in? do you just have one pump that supplies all the tanks? how do you adjust the ammount going into each one?
Old 05/04/2005, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Damer,
NP, that pic was taken awhile ago. The 1.5inch PVC above the tanks is the feed side, this pic shows the drain side a little better. The two yellow pails on the end are dripping makeup and change water into tanks with fry too young to go on the system.

Dman
Old 05/04/2005, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

thanks dman, but how do you regulate the water going into the tanks through the feed line.

any chance of a front or above pic?
Old 05/04/2005, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

black clowns

Hi where did you purchase those clowns. I've been looking for a while.Here in montreal there aren't any good fish stores. Can you tell me where I might find them in Ottawa? Do you sell fish?
thanks
john
Old 05/05/2005, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

damer,
The flow into the tanks is regulated by a simple and very cheap drum spigot
The flow out of the tank is another story and has taken some ingeniuety. I'll take some pictures of them tomorrow, lights are offf now.
jparadias, who are ya talkin to?
Dman
Old 05/09/2005, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

sorry to be a pain dman, but were you able to get a couple of photos?
Old 05/09/2005, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Dman- do the threads on those 3/4" drum spigots match standard pvc female threads? Are they adjustable or just open/ close?
Old 05/09/2005, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

WOW!! Incredible setups...Can I ask....How much time per day would you spend on maintenance, feeding etc?? Do you guys work from home?
Old 05/09/2005, 10:48 PM
1 clown short of a circus

Well, my setup is at my home, but I work on it about 1hr/day and about 6-8 hours on the weekend. Not to bad considering how rewarding a hobby it can be. I would probably spend more time, but school, (real) work, life, etc, get in the way. Of course it depends on how big you want to go and how much you want to do, but if you have a system that is well-designed, it doesn't take too much time.
Old 05/10/2005, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

Several projects on the go

Damer,
Sorry I hadn't gotten back to you until now, busy, busy, busy.
I needed a screen to keep the fishies from becoming sump bound (via a large bio-tower) had to be cheap, use parts I could easily attain and be flexible as well.
My pops actually came up with it, the black things are the plastic ends from rolls of bags he uses at work. (they go in each end of the cardboard core) So they're free
Next is the bulkhead fittings, cheap Home Depot electrical fittings on the inside quickly machined so the plastic thingys will fit on snug and usually plumbing fittings on the outside.
Finally I hot glue (after sanding the face) various size screens to the plastic thingys depending on the size of the fry. For the most part it's Nylon door screening from the local hardware store.
I keep a couple around to quickly swap out ones that get all gunky.
Here's the dry pic:

and the wet one:

mgregson,
I spend on average 3 hours per day on my systems. Tack on 45 minutes per on hatch days. Tomorrow I have three hatches to pull, it'll be a long day, close to 6 hours, that'll be after a day of digging a pond for a buddy.

David M,
They fit 3/4 inch thread perfectly and they are quite adjustable and dirt cheap, when they start to get sticky or give me a hard time I toss 'em.

Dman
Old 05/11/2005, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

thanks dman,

gee i wish we had home depot type stores here.

i have finished making one of my tank stands, need to make a couple more, but my project is coming along slowly.
Old 05/16/2005, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

I am expanding the system, the room is too narrow to get a full shot but here is the beginning of the rack, currently 8' but will be 14' when finished. Will hold a total of 30 tanks, 10, 15 and 20 gallons. The RK-2 bin and 70 gallon Kormex tub will the "heart" and filtration, I also have a large bio-ball tower to work in there somewhere. The wall behind is framed with metal studs and sheeted with 1-1/2" solid foam panels. The idea is to temp control the room, not the individual tanks. The small area of window still exposed will get framed in, insulated and hold a heat pump (heat/ cool unit).
Old 05/16/2005, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Another shot: