Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/11/2008, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

copper banded butterfly question

i just bought a copper banded butterfly fish to rid my tank of aiptasia. i was wondering if it was safe to put him into my reef. i have heard and read they can be quite picky and i have lots of diffrent corals including SPS, feather dusters, and clams. so would it be better toi just put him in my fuge and then just put one rock at a time in there for him to clean? or just throw him in ot the main tank?
Old 01/11/2008, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Re: copper banded butterfly question

Quote:
Originally posted by BCreefmaker
i have heard and read they can be quite picky and i have lots of diffrent corals including SPS, feather dusters, and clams.
If your so lucky - they hardly ever survive long enough to be a problem.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:04 PM
Master of Funk

Theres no guarantee that it'll eat aiptasia. I would put Copperbands in the Tang category as far as swimming room needs. Unless it is going to be stressed by something in the display, I wouldn't put it in a small tank, like a 'fuge.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

you should have researched the animal before you bought it..and if you were unwilling to take the chance you should have researched other ways to rid you re tank of aptasia..www.coralscaping.com
berghi nudibranchs are reef safe and aptasia is all they eat...for the well being of the fish either keep it in the display tank or return it..you fuge is too small for a copperband and will only cause it stress.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

I have a copper banded butterfly in my 125. He destroyed all the aptasia and does also eat some frozen food. I believe he also eats copepods, amphipods, etc... I have not seen him nip at any of my corals(zoos,leathers,lps,stonies) but maybe I just got lucky. Maybe you got a good one, maybe not. If he will eat prepared foods, then by keeping him well fed after the aptasia are gone, there is probably less of a chance of him going after your corals. Unfortunately, the only way to know is to put him in and see. I do agree though, that he should go in the main tank, as the refugium is too small.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oldschooldino
I have a copper banded butterfly in my 125. He destroyed all the aptasia and does also eat some frozen food. I believe he also eats copepods, amphipods, etc... I have not seen him nip at any of my corals(zoos,leathers,lps,stonies) but maybe I just got lucky. Maybe you got a good one, maybe not. If he will eat prepared foods, then by keeping him well fed after the aptasia are gone, there is probably less of a chance of him going after your corals. Unfortunately, the only way to know is to put him in and see. I do agree though, that he should go in the main tank, as the refugium is too small.
I think you got lucky

Try Joe's Juice on the aptasia--works great
Old 01/12/2008, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

capn_hylinur, no doubt about that!
Old 01/12/2008, 03:10 AM
Registered Member

Nice looking fish may or may not eat aiptasia;may or may not nip corals particuarly open brains(cynarina,Scolymia,trachyphylia) Ships poorly. May not eat.