Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians

Old 01/04/2008, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

gaping yuma, what to do?

I bought a yuma about 3 weeks ago and it is looking terrible. its mouth is gaping very wide and every time ive moved it it has spit out more guts. at night it just flops over its rock and looks like its on its way out. what should i do. is a freshwater dip an option?
Old 01/04/2008, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

do you have a pic of it? I know my frilly shroom looks like its about to die every time it splits
Old 01/04/2008, 06:31 PM
Registered Member.

Sorry to say that usually at that point it is far to late to do anything with yumas. I have dealt with that to many times to count and have never saved one. I have tried freshwater dips, iodine dips, antibacterial dips you name it I have tried it and nothing seemed to bring them back....
Old 01/05/2008, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

thats disappointing. it is so nice, not to mention the cost. i guess i might as well try to dip it then to see what happens.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Hi

sorry to hear about your sick yuma

I had the same thing happen to one of my yumas the other night. I bit the buttet and figuring it was a gonner if I didn't try something.
I removed it from the tank ( rock and all ) and I cut the yuma off the rock right done to the base. The melting yuma really really smelled bad. Rotten flesh YUK!!!. I scraped all the gooy rotten fleash off so that there was only a thin layer of base attached to the rock. I then took a new razor and cut this into a few separate pieces, hoping that if if there was still some melting at leasat one section might survive. I put the rock into a container with bridal viel to keep things from getting to it and put this into light water movement at the bottom of the tank but still where light can hit it indirectly.
It has been a few days now and it looks like the small pieces of the base attached to the rock are starting to grow. I am crossing my fingers. Hopefully the pieces ( 3 of them ) will grow up to be as nice as the original.

HTH

Jim