Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/04/2006, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

this is awful...need help and guidance

I'm torn by an ethical dilemma.I got my newspaper this morning and plastered across the fornt page is a story about a person who used identity theft and forged checks (three of them at nearly 1,ooo dollars each)at local area stores. The shocking thing about the article was the photo used that was captured on closed circuit cameras. The image looks almost exactley like my niece in-law. They are having financial problems but I can't believe this could be her. i showed the image to my two sons to see if it was just me ,but they gave the same info seperatly thinking of the same person. I tried to call my sister-in-law but recieved no answer. This is a horrible situation to be in.I know what's right but also am very protective of those I consider my family. Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated
Old 02/04/2006, 11:23 AM
Moved In

I imagine someone has already turned her in. Maybe that's why SIL is not answering. I honestly don't know what I'd do. I know my sister has turned in my brother before. If it is her, someone is having to pay for her crime, and she needs to be in jail.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 02/04/2006, 11:24 AM
Guardian of Little People

A few months ago, a man who committed a series of bank robberies was turned in by his three adult sons who saw a closed circuit picture of him on the news. The sons said they never questioned that is was the right thing to do.

I think you know this too.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 02/04/2006, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

yes i know its the right thing but i feel i need to at least talk to my sister in law. there is a chance i could be wrong as the image is somewhat grainy and blurred.
Old 02/04/2006, 11:35 AM
Moved In

Well that would certainly eliminate her quicker also. Maybe keep the rumors down.

Also I'd do it anonymously, no need to start a family war.

Old 02/04/2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by saltycurofaseadog
the image is somewhat grainy and blurred.
so you're off the hook Deb's probably right anyway... someone else will turn her in if it is her.
Old 02/04/2006, 11:48 AM
Moved In

You could always call your SIL and advise her to have her turn herself in to be eliminated. Which is a good idea if she is innocent. I'm sure you are not the only one to see a similarity.

Old 02/04/2006, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

You should be able to call the tips hotline and anonymously tell them to check into it. They will take care of the rest. You will then know that you did the right thing, and your family will never know. They may determine that she is not the person they are looking for and you can move on with life.
Old 02/04/2006, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

well... got intouch with sis in law. Had her look at the pic and see if she says anything.
said it doesn't look like anyone she knows. When she asked why, I told her who it reminded me of. she said no waywas that her because she and her son were in indiana at the time. Well, that was a load off my mind. I told her to expect morecalls or other people asking since it does remind myself and my boys of her. Well,I left sis's place and came home. my wife came home about a half hour later,so I showed her the pic. Yep,reminded her of the same person.So, apparantly there is a lady who is similar in appearance to my niece,that is now in hotwater.
Old 02/04/2006, 12:24 PM
Moved In

It still wouldn't be a bad idea for her to go to the police. It might beat the police knocking her door down in the middle of the night or something.

Old 02/04/2006, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

yea.... there is that...
Old 02/04/2006, 01:38 PM
Moved In

LOL, I've seen people on the news that played the criminal in a reenactment get busted like that! So it could happen.

Old 02/04/2006, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Plus they say everyone has a twin somewhere in the world. My parents went on a cruise and saw a woman on the boat that looked so much like me, they had to go talk to her to verify it wasn't me.

I'm not gonna waste life being hateful
~~~311~~~
Old 02/04/2006, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

yea, your right about twins. Just the other day I stepped into the bathroom and saw someone looking just like myself staring back with a perplexed look. I think it freaked him out too Although ...... I keep getting confused with someone else here in town
Old 02/04/2006, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

1.turn her in and you might feel you did the right thing
2.turn her in and get banish from your family

i dont think i can turn in my niece
Old 02/04/2006, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

well they caught the lady and it wasn't my niece. The resemblance however was uncanny. She could have passed as a twin or close sister.Even my niece was surprised by the resemblance(yea,she got calls about the pic in the paper). So all's well that ends well,at least for us anyway.The other lady.... not so much
Old 02/05/2006, 12:03 AM
Moved In

Well that's a relief!

Old 02/05/2006, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

I had the most disturbing thing happen to me once, I was walking along and thought I saw my dad out of the corner of my eye.

It was a mirror.
Old 02/05/2006, 11:43 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Ira NZ
I had the most disturbing thing happen to me once, I was walking along and thought I saw my dad out of the corner of my eye.

It was a mirror.

Just wait till you start seeing your grandfather!

Old 02/05/2006, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
A few months ago, a man who committed a series of bank robberies was turned in by his three adult sons who saw a closed circuit picture of him on the news. The sons said they never questioned that is was the right thing to do.

I think you know this too.
I saw this too. The sons were recently on Oprah.

They knew what they had to do. The ironic thing was that they learned right and wrong from their father! Dad's in jail now. Sons have not forgiven him but may in time.

Salty, glad things worked out for you.

Carrie
Old 02/05/2006, 05:28 PM
my member is registered.

Re: this is awful...need help and guidance

Quote:
Originally posted by saltycurofaseadog
I'm torn by an ethical dilemma.I got my newspaper this morning and plastered across the fornt page is a story about a person who used identity theft and forged checks (three of them at nearly 1,ooo dollars each)at local area stores. The shocking thing about the article was the photo used that was captured on closed circuit cameras. The image looks almost exactley like my niece in-law. They are having financial problems but I can't believe this could be her. i showed the image to my two sons to see if it was just me ,but they gave the same info seperatly thinking of the same person. I tried to call my sister-in-law but recieved no answer. This is a horrible situation to be in.I know what's right but also am very protective of those I consider my family. Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated
Dont take this into offense... but you really should notify the authorities. I could understand that she is family and they are going through financial problems but everybody in there life goes through that one point or another... thats no reason to make somebody elses life more difficult.
Old 02/06/2006, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ira NZ

It was a mirror.

I know!!!! I saw my mom. I can't believe just how much I look like her! I always thought I favored my dad, which could be just as scary.

I'm not gonna waste life being hateful
~~~311~~~
Old 02/06/2006, 09:42 AM
Moved In

Re: Re: this is awful...need help and guidance

Quote:
Originally posted by JmLee
Dont take this into offense... but you really should notify the authorities. I could understand that she is family and they are going through financial problems but everybody in there life goes through that one point or another... thats no reason to make somebody elses life more difficult.
LOL, you should probably read all the threads.

Old 02/06/2006, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

everyone is so ready to screw everyone else over. If its her confront her- tell her stop and dont turn her in.
Old 02/06/2006, 05:05 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by DizziDezi2
everyone is so ready to screw everyone else over. If its her confront her- tell her stop and dont turn her in.
LOL, turning in a criminal is hardly screwing anyone over. She's already been cleared so it's pretty much moot!

"tell her to stop" You don't know very many criminals do you?