Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/01/2006, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

Tang Shoals

Whenever I go to the marine fish retailers and read the descriptions for tangs the general concensus seems that tangs are rated as "semi-agressive" fish who do not typically enjoy the company of other tangs. This isn't to say that they cannot be put more than one to a tank but they certainly don't elude to any sort of shoaling behavior.

Yet I've seen pictures and read posts where people mention schools of the creatures. Could somebody please explain this to me? Will all tangs shoal and under what conditions does this take place? Furthermore, if only certain specific types will shoal under the right circumstances how can I determine which those might be?

Thanks.
Old 02/01/2006, 11:00 PM
RC Mod

I think you should try this question in the fish forum.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...?s=&forumid=88
Old 02/01/2006, 11:04 PM
Premium Member

Fish that are schooling in nature frequently adopt contrary behavior when maintained in an aquarium which to them are un-naturally close quarters. This has been well documented in fish related literature.
Old 02/02/2006, 05:58 AM
Registered Member

Maybe because the reef in the ocean is huge enough they have their own space, compared to the aquarium. and once tang get comfortable in the aquarium they established as their territory. space maybe i think the issue. also, in the ocean, fish in general always spawning thats why they reproduce in great numbers and become schooling fish. maybe, they school when they are juveniles, but when become older they want to have territory.
Old 02/02/2006, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Humans are social animals, just like schooling fish. But I can pretty much garauntee someone would be getting killed if I was locked in closet with someone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year...
Old 02/02/2006, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

From reading that I've done on this, the radical change in behavior isn't only a matter of being in a closed, tight space....it's also a mechanism for not having the space for the shoaling or schooling itself and so a heirarchy is unnaturally formed. So, more often than not, the tang in a reef will be more aggressive and even murderous toward cospecifics and congenators than toward wholly unrelated fish like dottybacks or clowns, for example. That being said, there are plenty of anectdotal posts here in RC about managing to keep as many as three different kinds of tangs in a larger reef...usually, 180 or 230-gallons.
Old 02/02/2006, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

Tangs are aggressive. Through my exprience if you want to keep several. I have 3 right now in a 120gal. Get them young, provide alot of structure that is separated so they can define their own territories. The 3 that I have are buddies. The yellow usually fights its reflection though.
Old 02/02/2006, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Alright thanks guys, so the pictures you can find on these forums of tangs schooling in some of the large reef aquariums are more of a temporary behavioral situation until the fish are more familiar, or fully grown, etc.?
Old 02/02/2006, 07:02 PM
RC Mod

I've never seen pictures of tangs shoaling in an aquarium, only in the wild. They cover too big a territory to be called a tank, really, thousands of gallons or more.
Old 02/02/2006, 07:35 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

yeah i have never seen the shoaling behavior in aquariums either, but i have seen some cool pics of it in the wild. Here check out this pic, isn't it pretty

it's actually a pic over at webshots.com so you can download it as a wallpaper if you wanted

Click on My Gallery for pics of my tank
Click the little red house for my tank diary!!!
Old 02/02/2006, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

check this video clips, all about schooling surgeonfishes. its very pretty nice to watch...

http://www.oceanfootage.com/oceans/s...8373d785726255
Old 02/02/2006, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

more footage

http://www.oceanfootage.com/oceans/s...on+Fish+&Go=Go
Old 02/02/2006, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bertoni
I've never seen pictures of tangs shoaling in an aquarium
There were a couple pictures I saw in the large reef tanks forum of small shoals of tangs, which is what sparked my interest.
Old 02/02/2006, 08:28 PM
RC Mod

Hey, I'd love a pointer!