Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/29/2006, 03:30 AM
Registered Member

Lighting for sebae anemone?

Ok I am looking into ligting options for my 125g that I am setting up. I have a pair of mated maroons that I want to get a sebae for. I have had great success with btas and others and would like a lil challenge. I am only planning on keeping some easy basic corals in the tank so my main concern is to have enough lighting for the anemone. I know that they are supposed to look brownish in color but most that I have seen are either yellow or white. I am assuming that these are bleached out. I dont really have a ton of money so the cheapest option would be greatly appreciated. I can do some sodering work and such if need be.
Thanks
E
Old 01/29/2006, 04:17 AM
Registered Member

250W metal halides....... i kept mine happy with that for over a year.......
Plus 4X T8 actinics.....HArd To keep . Anyone here have had succes with anemones at all ? "over 2 years"
Old 01/29/2006, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

I haven't had mine for 2 years yet. About 1 year now. I'm slowly nursing it back to health from being white and bleached. It's a nice tan now. I know of another person with 2-3 heteractis crispa like mine that she's had for several years and they've survived a couple bleaching episodes.
Old 01/29/2006, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 01/29/2006, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

i have had mine for just over a year its purple w/ purple tips and yes its a sebae its about 9-11in across
Old 01/29/2006, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

I've found that my sebae was not hard to keep at all...I've had him for about a year, got him when he was 4" and now he is about 1' when spread out!

I have 560 W VHOs (2x10k & 2xSuper Actinic all 140w) and he is a little less than 2 1/2 feet down (tank 3' high). He doesnt move around that much and if you've had a bta you shouldn't have any problems.

I found my sebae was WAY easier to keep than my rbta which kept moving and eventually died (I think he dissapeared and I havent seen him in months).

But my sebae is thriving as I don't even feed him direct anymore because he is getting so big (He gets whatever floats to him from feeding my sun polyp and fish)

He isnt that 'brown' but I know hes doing good because he grows so much!

One of my false percs has hosted with him...hes in the pic...clownfish about 2"....

Old 01/29/2006, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Actually sorry , looking at my tank its about 2' down.