Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 02:12 PM
Member in Training

Mysis vs Mysid Shrimp

Are these the same thing?

Thanks!
Old 01/03/2008, 02:15 PM
Nothing to put here

I think I heard somewhere that mysid live in saltwater while mysis live in fresh. Not sure though.
Old 01/04/2008, 07:12 AM
Member in Training

That seems to make sense. Is one better than the other?
Old 01/04/2008, 10:14 AM
Soul of a Sailor

Mysidae is a family of shrimp and the members are all called mysids. Mysis is a genus of shrimp within the family. There are FW and SW members of both groups. As far as the hobby is concerned, they're the same animals.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:25 AM
Huge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Birch

Mysis or Mysid Shrimp?!

Almost any small shrimp-like animals these days are called mysis shrimp. There aren't really 'shrimp' and aren't a member of that family. These organisms are from marine and freshwater sources. The aquarist really wants the Mysid that comes from the sea/ocean. You don’t want a freshwater mysis shrimp species (like Mysis relicta). Read the label. If it isn’t clear, ask. Get on the Internet and find your answers or send an e-mail to the company. As a generality: the Mysid are the saltwater kind. A 'mysis' is supposed to be freshwater. However, packagers of prepared foods often mix the terms. One of the most common of all these saltwater creatures, found off the USA coasts and used in the USA as part of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) water quality test is the organism, Mysidopsis bahia. That is where the "mysid" with the "d" has entered into the spelling 'war.' See Foods for Saltwater and Freshwater Fishes. To make things even more complicated Mysidopsis bahia has been renamed Americamysis bahia. So the confusion continues.

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 01/04/2008, 10:26 AM
Member in Training

Great answer, thanks greenbean!
Old 01/04/2008, 10:30 AM
Member in Training

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowboarda42
Wow, that's confusing.... I like bean's answer better.

Just kidding. Thanks!
Old 01/04/2008, 10:34 AM
Huge Member

Just get the package that says Saltwater Mysis/Mysid. It has much more nutritional value than Freshwater Mysis/Mysid.

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 01/04/2008, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowboarda42
Just get the package that says Saltwater Mysis/Mysid. It has much more nutritional value than Freshwater Mysis/Mysid.
I strongly disagree, PE Mysis is by far the best and once you try it you'll never use another brand. They are much larger then other mysis and all my fish and lots of corals love them.

Protien: 69.5%
Fat: 8.35%
Fiber: 2.75%
Ash: 5.5%

http://www.mysis.com
Old 01/04/2008, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

I just looked at the contents of the mysis I feed.... not even close to PE mysis... I am switching.