Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/15/2006, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

reptiles: chameleons in particular

ok, so I HAD to get one: I've looked up general info on chameleons, so I figured when I saw these ones, what the hey: I'll get one...

so now, I come to find out that theres, like... NO info on them... so I came to the busiest place on the web to see if someone SOMEWHERE knows SOMETHING about this tiny little species!!!

its a 'leaf chameleon' I don't have the scientific name yet... I'm googling it, but theres not much info at all!!!!

so, anyone have any clues... and where can I get house flies in the US? in the middle of February? its been eating tiny crickets, but the little info I found said flies, little bugs-things of that nature...
Old 02/15/2006, 05:05 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Pictures?
Old 02/15/2006, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

ha-my boyfriend got rid of the digi, but I'll find one off of google:

this is the closest one I can find... http://www.arkive.org/species/GES/re...tml?size=large
but, it doesn't have a prehensile tail or the spines...

right now its about 2 inches long... and I know the store I got it from will know less than I already do.
Old 02/15/2006, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

oop, found it

http://photos.wildmadagascar.org/ima...iaris-00.shtml

Brookesia superciliaris

maybe
Old 02/15/2006, 05:11 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Very nice find! How much did it run you?
Old 02/15/2006, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

I figured, it was a steal at that price, theres two left at the store...
Old 02/15/2006, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

so i found a page with pictures of the different Brookesia pictures... going over it, pic by pic, to figure out what it is...
Old 02/15/2006, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

I can certainly tell you that you do not have B supercilliarus. This species was moved to CITES II about 2 years ago. The few imports that will come in this year are selling for $75-$200.

What you have is most likely Rhampholian brevicaudatus. This is a higher elevation species from Tanzania. It is probably one of the easiest of the Rhampholian species to keep.

I have been keeping them for about 3 years. I don't produce as many babies as some others but have been able to get about 30 babies over that time.

Most preferred food items are small houseflies, fruit flies, 14 day old crickets and small moth's. You can get most of those items from a place called Grubco. Their houseflies might be to big for them though.

Try adcham.com for more info or just give me a shout.

Carl
Old 02/15/2006, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

haha, I found a pic of one that appears to be mine
a R. ulu... long name... Rhampholean uluguruensis so, if you have a pic of yours, yours may be a better and closer id... actually, I'll google that name. I'm not worried about babies, just the general care...
and thanks!!!!!
Old 02/15/2006, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

yup-its either the same as yours, or the uluguruensis. they look SO similar. but, either way, it seems like they may be the same size, and mine appears to be a full grown one-possibly female, cause its kinda... fat... looking?

I dunno. I really don't. but, the pet store I got her from also sold me a green cheek conure for $130 when they are normally round $300-so I don't go by price for ANYTHING at that store-if it looks good, and the price sounds cheaper than normal, I get it.
Old 02/15/2006, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Welp, here's my ol' panther chameleon. He passed on last year, and was about 4 years old :

Peace,

Chip
Old 02/15/2006, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

yea-they are so pretty... glad I knew better than to get a big one-no room!!!!
Old 02/15/2006, 10:47 PM
D00D

perhaps you aremistaking the superciliaris for the stumpffi?

do a search for Brookesia stumpffi or dead leaf chameleon.
Old 02/16/2006, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

Please mail me a bunch of babies. The going price for chameleons here is about $3500 US.
Old 02/16/2006, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

wholy crap/.... they are about 100 bucks at the pet stores here for the more common/pretty big ones!!!

how'd I go about the red tape though? hmmm, I don't think its feasable.