Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/04/2008, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Open Top Tank

is it extremely important to have the top of the tank open??? is putting a glass top really that bad??? I hear people leaving it wide open although wouldn't this make evaporation 100 times worse, plus salt creep 100 times worse???
Old 01/04/2008, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

No but everyone recommends it because it promotes gas exchange and more light can pass through also evap on your tank depends and i haven't got any salt creep my whole 6 months open top.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

Evap will be less with the lid on. Gas exchange is important and an open top helps that. Having a glass top also traps in heat, and depending on lighting can make your tank very hot.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

I have all open top tanks. no salt creep problems for me either
Old 01/04/2008, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

My husband and I were having this discussion last night. We've just received our refugium, skimmer, overflows (he wanted 2, he's just a redundant dude) and sump pump. He realized the glass top is not going to properly shut now that the overflows are hanging on the back of the tank. I've been trying to explain to him that we ought to consider removing the glass anyway.

I don't know if I feel comfortable leaving the top open and I don't know if I like the look of eggcrate. Do we have any other options? (It's a 72g bowfront.) My brother is telling me that the eggcrate isn't going to keep smaller fish in the tank anyway - do I trust this advice and is an open top the way to go?
Old 01/04/2008, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Onte
My husband and I were having this discussion last night. We've just received our refugium, skimmer, overflows (he wanted 2, he's just a redundant dude) and sump pump. He realized the glass top is not going to properly shut now that the overflows are hanging on the back of the tank. I've been trying to explain to him that we ought to consider removing the glass anyway.

I don't know if I feel comfortable leaving the top open and I don't know if I like the look of eggcrate. Do we have any other options? (It's a 72g bowfront.) My brother is telling me that the eggcrate isn't going to keep smaller fish in the tank anyway - do I trust this advice and is an open top the way to go?
I wasnt comfortable with open top at first, but like it now. you just have to be carefull not to buy fish that are known for jumping.

but if you dont want open top, or eggcrate (I agree its ugly), then one idea is you can have your husband build you a canopy for the tank, which will hide all the equipment. Its the nicest option in my opinion. You can get lots of easy canopy plans in the DIY section
Old 01/04/2008, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

The more contact area the surface has with oxygen the more it will help in promoting efficient gas exchange. Remember, aesthetics is not the most important factor in maintaining a healthy aquarium. Cheers!!
Old 01/04/2008, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Remember, aesthetics is not the most important factor in maintaining a healthy aquarium.
I definitely agree and understand this - I don't mean to come off as interior-decoratin' housefrau about the eggcrate. I had thought about building a lightweight frame and tacking on some plastic gardening screen - anyone see any issues with that? We are going to stock a wrasse at some point and I understand some of them tend to be jumpy.

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 01/04/2008, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Not long ago I switched from glass to eggcreate and then quickly to topless. I like topless very much now. No more cleaning of the glass and its much easier to work within the tank. Note that this will increase your need for a quality top off solution.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

I like topless too!
Old 01/04/2008, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Its not the fish jumping out of mine I would worry about, but the sushi bar my cats would inevitably set up if I tried!

“No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise”
Old 01/04/2008, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

The screen idea definately would keep "jumpy" fish in and still get the benefits of an open top tank. The only downfall I can see is some screening will filter light. Also you would have to be sure and use a synthetic so you don't fight rust.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by auntynatal
Its not the fish jumping out of mine I would worry about, but the sushi bar my cats would inevitably set up if I tried!
I have the same problem.... my cat already tries to kill my 14" cichlids. Imagine what she would do with nice little bite sized reef fish.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

I don't use a glass top and I lose close to 2.5 gallons a week, which is a lot when the tank is 29G. I think thats why all of my Acros are dead.
Also have salt creep everywhere. But the corals don't do well when the glass top is on.

????????????????????? don't ask me
Old 01/04/2008, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hyrumbradshaw
I like topless too!

Yes, but I don't think topless is for everyone.

Sorry if I derailed topic.
Old 01/04/2008, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fun $ Pit
Yes, but I don't think topless is for everyone.

Sorry if I derailed topic.

Sorry I was trying to find something that would be a finger waiving naughty naught but these seemed funny... Ok way off topic now, please don't ban me haha
Old 01/04/2008, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

^^ I'm sorry I completely hijacked your thread! It seemed like a good place to ask my own questions! Honest!
Old 01/04/2008, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=817485
Old 01/04/2008, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Onte
I definitely agree and understand this - I don't mean to come off as interior-decoratin' housefrau about the eggcrate. I had thought about building a lightweight frame and tacking on some plastic gardening screen - anyone see any issues with that? We are going to stock a wrasse at some point and I understand some of them tend to be jumpy.

Thanks for the help!!!

That is exactly what I did. I got some pond netting from Dr. Foster & Smith and a DIY screen frame set from Home depot. I have a ton of screen left over, But I would estimate that the screen frame/spline/connectors were $10 for two 2'x2' screens.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

It's not a big deal to have glass covering the tank. I had to do this after my diamond goby jumped out. I tried out egg crate, but it reflected too much light above the tank.

Since I have a sump below with skimmer I am not worried about the gas exchange. If anything the glass helps as it keeps some of the heat in to the point where my heater never comes on. My tank stays around 80-82F year round.

As far as blocking the light I don't think it blocks much, but I don't have a meter to verify it either. The important part is keeping the glass clean. I'll wipe off the dust that settles and every week or two I'll clean both sides of the glass.
Old 01/04/2008, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

i have open top.

im more concerned about dust from the room getting in the tank than anything else.
anyone have any thoughts on this?

no salt creepfor me....evap is something you'll have to deal with either way (replacing 1/2 vs 2/3 of a gal per day....either way youre still adding water so whats the big deal?)
Old 01/04/2008, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

I like the topless look as well but I am afraid of one of my fish jumping out. I've lost some expensive shrimp in my FW because of this.

I was thinking of making a 4" to 6" plexi-glass border around the entire edge so that if a fish decides to jump, he might hit the border and fall back into the tank. Maybe even make it flair out a bit. Think of it like one of those debris catching plastic edges they sell for bird cages. It catches the seeds that fall out the cage and directs them back into the cage.

Another option for those of you that would prefer some type of mesh on the top. There's a clear UV resistant nylon mesh that's aquarium safe. I don't know what it's called or where to buy it but I saw it in another forum. Someone was selling it by the foot. He was using it mostly to grow moss walls in FW planted tanks. I'll post the link when I find it.
Old 01/04/2008, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leoslizards
I was thinking of making a 4" to 6" plexi-glass border around the entire edge so that if a fish decides to jump, he might hit the border and fall back into the tank. Maybe even make it flair out a bit. Think of it like one of those debris catching plastic edges they sell for bird cages. It catches the seeds that fall out the cage and directs them back into the cage.
A border is not going to stop a jumping fish. I thought my light that basically covers the entire top would stop a jumping fish. My still manages to slam into the center of the glass top or get in the overflow.

Here's a story for you. My diamond goby is scared of the mag cleaner. If he sees it move the slightest bit half the time he will try and jump out of the tank. Some times he jumps into the overflow. To get him out of the overflow we stick a net down there and nudge him. When you do that he'll shoot about a foot above the tank and go flying back in. sort of like those dolphin shows.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rsw686
A border is not going to stop a jumping fish. I thought my light that basically covers the entire top would stop a jumping fish. My still manages to slam into the center of the glass top or get in the overflow.

Here's a story for you. My diamond goby is scared of the mag cleaner. If he sees it move the slightest bit half the time he will try and jump out of the tank. Some times he jumps into the overflow. To get him out of the overflow we stick a net down there and nudge him. When you do that he'll shoot about a foot above the tank and go flying back in. sort of like those dolphin shows.
I know it's not going to stop a jumping fish. It's purpose is to increase the chances of it landing back inside the tank instead of landing on the floor. Think of it as an extension that make your tank look taller but not filled to the top.